Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New shitzhu puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chelseabond, Mar 11, 2015.

1. chelseabond

chelseabond PetForums Junior

Hello everyone. We recently lost both our dogs 3 weeks apart and now have a gorgeous little shitzhu puppy. And wud love any tips or advice. Or anything at all . Thanks

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome.

If you have any worries or questions, ask away.

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF

How old is your puppy, and what sort of things are worrying you.

4. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yorkiemorkiemum PetForums Senior

OMG how lucky are you to have a little puppy? These dogs are gorgeous! We're your other dogs small dogs?
    They are very intelligent and need lots of stimulaion and cuddles. I have a Yorkie aged eleven and a Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese) both were chewers but our Morkie would have eaten you if you sat there long enough haha! I bought a spray of Apple bitters to spray furniture ect. Both were very easy to toilet train because I used newspaper and pads and gradually moved the pads from near the back door to outside. Both dogs were fully dry by five months. Blackmail work brilliantly too tiny treat when they do good things. I also bought 'Kings', tug toys and a ball that you can put treats in but they have to work to get the treat out. I would also rotate the toys so they think they're new and interesting.
    The people on the forum helped me so much with my youngest too.
    Good luck!

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Hope you enjoy your pup - and welcome to PF :).

6. chelseabond

Hello all thanks for the replies , my pup is 10 months old now i havent been able to get on here for a while , im wonderin are there other shitzhu owners on here , if so what are you feeding ur little shitzhu please can anyone let me know x

7. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

can you please post some photos so we can go oh and ah at them :)

And welcome to the forum and what's he / she called

8. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

I have a Shih Tzu, didn't get him as a puppy though, he was 10 months when we got him.
    At the minute he is eating Acana Grasslands dry and Millies Wolfheart wet.

9. Sophiachacha

Sophiachacha 'Saffron'. The Princess of Everything

I have a 7 month old Lhasa Apso and I feed her on Barking Heads Puppy food from [email protected]

10. chelseabond

hello there shes a little girl and her name is Evie, we decoded to call her Evie as we bought her in the evening ill put a pic on

11. chelseabond

Attached Files:

Jobeth and VickynHolly like this.
  12. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

Awww, she is lovely.

13. kare

kare PetForums VIP

Evie is a pretty name, our young dogs KC name includes Evie but as we use the nick name E.D. (her initials) for our older dog, it was out as a real name for our younger one.

My top tips would include
    1 Get your dog use to all aspects of grooming they will need when older by doing it all for a minute daily, ie brush them make clipping noises with scissors next to their fur all over their body and clip nail clippers next to their nails, so when it really happens in a few weeks or months they are very used to scissors next to their eyes or muzzle etc.
    2 Get your dog use to car journeys, even if you don't plan to drive your dog places and only need to get a taxi to the vets the dog knowing what cars are about would be a lot less stressful at already stressful times.
    3 Pads are often not a great idea, they often prolong the training as you are effectively training your dog to toilet in the house when really you want them to learn to just do it outside straight away. They do have their uses, I used a few to line my pups crate if on a longer journey where getting stopped and her out on time would be an issue.

14. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

She is beautiful :)

15. chelseabond

Hy there and thank you all for your replies . Does anyone on here know anything about breeding shitzhus x

16. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

Nothing about that breed in particular, but noticed thread started March last year, when you had just got a bitch puppy, making her a year old now. Does that mean you are planning on breeding her?
    To breed her responsibly ( as opposed to back yard puppy farming) she would have to have been sold kc reg with no endorsements, so her breeder would have considered her a good example of her breed and you as a suitable breeder to see her through the mating, pregnancy, whelping, raising puppies and finding good homes stages. He/she should be available as a mentor.
    You can't mate before 1 year old, nor whelp after 8. No more than 4 litters, at least a year apart. For each breed you need to look at specific health tests, not vet checks but tests, whether thatbefore DNA testing for problem genes or hip scoring or heart scans. More people will be along shortly with advice to your breed, but only breed her if she has no endorsements, has good test results, you have a mentor, and time/money to do this. If things go wrong you could make a loss, and there is always a risk to the bitch, no matter how cateful you are, don't something to undertake lightly.

17. chelseabond

Hello Catherinem thank you for your reply yes i did put that on here we had got a puppy and yes shes a little shitzhu girl. We got her in february and she was born the november before. So shes now 14 months old and will soon come into jer second season so would be ok to have a litter. But since i posted that yesterday.we have got stacks of nformation and knowledge about breeding her and we have already decided that we love her far too much and if anything happened to her . We would be devastated , so we are going to arrange at pir vets sometime in the near future to have her spayed. I would have loved to have got her to have a litter and would most likely have kept one ourselves but we have her and shes enough for us now .and rightely with your message to i know we have done the right thing so thank you anyway from valsam xx

lorilu likes this.
  18. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

Thanks for researching it properly, and coming back to let us know your decision. No one can say don't breed, after all many of us here are breeders ourselves, but there's a huge difference between researching and purchasing a puppy with the possibility of breeding in mind and getting a pet to maturity and thinking it would be nice to have just one litter for the bitch to experience being a mother. I've bred myself ( one Cocker bitch and several Siamese queens), and the worry over your pet's welfare sends you grey hairs early! I've had joy and sorrow both, over the years possibly broken even ( at least that's what I tell my other half!). I wouldn't change anything for the world but it's not something to undertake lightly, and you need family to know if someone is in labour they have to get their own supper, workshirt ironing etc done, and you will join them when it's over and not before! I wish there were more owners like you, who look into it and decide against, rather than going in with rose tinted spectacles that everything will be fine and end up losing the litter or mother. Any photos of your special girl now she's all grown up?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice