Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Service in Preston Lancashire

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Dogsabouttown, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Dogsabouttown

Dogsabouttown PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I have finally started up now (last Thursday) and have managed to get 2 customers on board already which I think is pretty good. Has anyone else just started up? How are you finding things? If anybody wants to discuss any ideas then get in touch!

Cheers all

2. Tri Brough

Tri Brough Trina's Pet Care Services

Hi, congrats on getting 2 clients already. I started at the beginning of Feb and have 7 clients on my books but only 2 are regulars. I have an ad in the local monthly magazine, I've been and done leaflet drops in the local area, I have signage on my van and also a uniform. I know I should be happy I have clients but if I don't get some more soon I'll have to give it all up and I've worked so hard to get here. Have you or anyone any advise on how to help.

Dogsabouttown likes this.
  3. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Hi @Dogsabouttown I've been set up just over month n got 3 regular clients on my books and some cat visits too
    Have you got a facebook page
    I've got a friend who has a daycare centre in Foulridge but I'm over an hour away so not possible for me to do it at that distance
    What services do you offer?

4. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Don't give up I know it's hard n I feel the same some days.
    Im currently still working at my previous job at a kennels so no advice just wanted to say don't give up. Keep posting on local facebook groups, selling pages etc x

Dogsabouttown and Tri Brough like this.
  5. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

Have you left business cards at vets and dog grooming salons? Also leave flyers under on car windscreens at popular dog walking venues. Also leave you dog walking vehicle parked up somewhere really visible on weekends when your not using it, like at the entrance to a large supermarket for example. This will help to get noticed

6. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

@Tri Brough to make you feel better I've got two flatcoated retrievers that at the moment make up 50% of my income and I've been house sitting since 1st April till 18th n they get up at 4am every morning

7. FriendlyFours

FriendlyFours PetForums Junior

Hey all,
    Never give up its a hard start in this industry! I started a year ago and within 2 months was ready to call it a day, only afew clients and felt like my business wasn't visable.
    I hit up all the Facebook selling groups with my adverts and picked up multiple more clients, now a year on i'm turning customers away due to being fully booked, were currently looking at purchasing more vehicles and expanding.

As always if anyone needs any help please feel free to message or ask here :)

8. Dogsabouttown

Hi, I have a uniform but no van as yet. Both of my clients came through my facebook page but I have been doing leaflet drops as well. From what I have been reading on the forums it can take 6-8 months to get up and running but I think once I have 5 regulars then word of mouth should start helping out as well.

There is also a group dog walk once a month where I live that I went to last week with my jacket on so people were asking me about it. I hope things pick up for you soon, I don't think any of us chose this thinking we would get rich but because we love it. It would be a shame to give it up after all the hard work. Would it be worth looking to see if there are any new business grants in your area to tide you over?

9. Dogsabouttown

Hi Tillystar,

I do have a facebook page (@dogsabouttownpreston) and I am offering walking (single and group, 1hr normal or other time periods at the customers request), pet visiting (cats and caged animals) and pet taxi services (taking them to the vet or groomers) but I am concentrating on the walking as that is what I love doing and that is what my leaflets are focused on.

10. Dogsabouttown

Thanks for the motivation FriendlyFours, people on here are so nice!

11. Dogsabouttown

Thanks for the advice :D

12. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

I've said it before, there are only so many new people who want dog walking and related services. It's always going to be a slow burn to start as you have to wait for those people to turn up (moving to the area, just got a dog, work time changes etc). No one is going to leave their current dog walker to use you instead.

However, there will be people out there that would like a dog walker but don't use one for a variety of reasons, so what are you doing that's different to everyone else to attract these clients?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice