Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rules Will Make It Easier And Cheaper To Travel Abroad With Pets

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AutumnAngel, Jan 2, 2012.

1. AutumnAngel

AutumnAngel PetForums Junior

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Interesting although dosen't say much about traveling to the usa :p so no good to me

3. Leo el gato

Leo el gato PetForums Newbie

That's great. It means that cats no longer need to see a vet between 24h and 48hrs travelling back to Uk. It was really awkward coming back on a Sunday or a Monday until now. The bastards still charge £30 though for checking the passport. Thieves !

4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

It wasn't the cheapness with us that mattered as we are only saving on the frontline treatment and I used this as his regular tick treatment as its about every 6- 8 weeks.It was the flexibility on the travel times that have made a big difference to us,now it between 1-5 days after treatment,whereas before it was 1-2,so it was really cutting it fine,and we always travel on a sunday,so agree it could be a pain in the bum.
    All I hope is that people who otherwise would abandon their pet abroard,(this has been a huge problem,)will now bring them back to the uk,as the cost implications and the flexibility on time should be an incentive.

5. roadskygirl

roadskygirl PetForums Newbie

My vet was completely thrown when I mentioned taking my dog to Ireland! I intend to go to Northern Ireland this summer to see friends & as it's part of the UK I don't think he needs a pet passport! My vet said he didn't know! Then I said that I would possibly go to see relatives in Dublin that would be the Republic of Ireland & therefore I thought I would have to get a pet passport!Guess what? My vet didn't know that, either! :001_huh:
    Anyone who can shed light on this, please do, I'd be so grateful!

6. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I hope so, we are planning on emigrating in about 5 years and will have 2 dogs by then

7. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Glad they've changed the rules really looking forward to going round the war memorials with doggy's wasn't the same without Duke last time as we know he will love it :thumbup1:

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

9. roadskygirl

roadskygirl PetForums Newbie

Interesting how we all want to go to different places but we all want our four-legged friends with us!
    I have say this, & it's quite embarrassing! During my misery of a marriage we only had one "holiday"! It was a 2 week self-catering cottage in Dorset. No pets allowed. Ex-husband arranged it all, knowing full well that if I was going to stay anywhere in the UK, my dogs were coming too! Grrrr! As his son from a previous (similarly abusive & destructive!) marriage was the only reason for the holiday & his mother was paying it was out of my hands! I was so unhappy, even knowing my two dogs were well-looked after, one with my parents, & Otis, the Jack Russell with a friend, I was pining for them. There was a black & white goat in the field next to the cottage & I "asopted him for the 2 weeks, even going so far as calling him "Goatis" (Otis substitute!) That's how much my dogs mean to me! Sad, but true, friends! :blush:

10. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

oh great , I do not have to take my little aliens to vets , wohooo .... they'll have a check any way in the last 10 days of us still being here , no bloody need to have a second trip to the vets in the last 2 days ... Now if This idiots from BA would have the curtsey to charge us as less as KLm I would be so grateful and would shorten our trip considerable + we would be less time apart me and the girls

11. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Note , from DEFRA
    Step 4 – Tapeworm treatment – (dogs only): before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland or Malta).

So although there is a little more leaway timewise for dogs they still have to go to the vet for the tapeworm treatment..
    You will only save the money that it used to cost for the tick treatment..

12. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

Great news - the dog I've chosen as a stud for one of my bitches is in Holland so these changes will make things a whole lot easier :thumbup1: -

13. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

very true , but in the case of my 3 black aliens NO , they cat's lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice