Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rules to Prevent Arguments on the Forum

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tashi, Jun 13, 2011.

1. spid

spid PetForums VIP

ONly 53 more for you I believe.

2. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Yes - so I had better be careful what I say! I was thinking about buying a hat for the occasion.

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Not often anyone manages to make me laugh out loud! The very thought has me in stitches.

4. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

As a somewhat, no, very neurotic cat owner, I have found immense kindness and support and great advice for even the stupidest of my questions. The combined experience iin this forum is priceless. Think about it: if you cat falls ill, who do you have to speak to? The vet? OK, but he is only focused on the cat's symptoms. Your friends? Most of them have even less of a clue. The general internet? Well, if you see some of the answers on cat care in Yahoo answers, I despair of the human race. If your cat breaks out in green and purple spots, you can be sure there is someone on this forum who has had personal experience with this. And the advice is holistic: not only what are the best meds, but what foods are best, behavioural advice etc etc. The important thing is to listen and at least take on board the advice given. Of course, the exciting fights that sometimes break out are just one of the extra perks of membership :p
    Hey, just seen I am a VIP member too! Last I looked I was a MERE senior. I'll have that with caviar please.

#264 koekemakranka, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Being a VIP doesn't mean a thing, except that you blab a lot......
    The reps do give an indication, though, as they indicate other people value your input.

I know I can be rather outspoken, myself, and sometimes I read things that make my blood boil, but I do try to sit on my hands till I can formulate a response that will help the poster, or, even more importantly, their pet....

We all have our faults, and we do have to take into account people can get carried away. But in the end, the animals' interests should always come first. So it is important to try and formulate a reply in a way the other person will be prepared to take it on board. Antagonizing people to such an extent they will not listen to a word I have to say will do nothing to help the animal.....

6. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I've only about 20 to go!! Don't think I've got time to buy a hat

It's taken me two years though, so I don't think I over blab!

7. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Must have been very chatty last night :D. Happy VIP day ;)

8. Jiskefet

In view of the kitten season coming up, it might be a good idea to re-read these forum rules.

Like I said before on several threads, personal attacks on people, however heartfelt your indignation, will NOT help the cat or her kittens-to-be.

So let's start this kitten season by informing the ignorant and advise the clueless (remember many of us once were quite as ignorant and clueless, and many of us learned through the knowledge and wisdom accumulated on this forum).

I know it is difficult at times to remain civil and helpful in the face of blatant ignorance, and sometimes even apparent stupidity, but let's at least try.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, unless it is the question never asked, but there is such a thing as a stupid answer, meaning an answer that is not going to help the slave help the cat , but only serves in chasing them away.

Mods, my apologies if I am usurping your authority in saying this, but I am dismayed - for the sake of the cats more than anything else - by he way some people have been treated recently. I have been truly worried about the fate of some cats whose owners fled in the face of the forum members' fury.

However justified your anger, please bear in mind that no cat has ever been saved by chasing their slave off the forum.

#268 Jiskefet, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  9. Tamiyamumma

Tamiyamumma PetForums Member

I am totally with you on this. I myself have been very guilty of a very emotional reactions to the advice and help I was being given. But in time I grew to realise that it was meant with the best interest of Tamiya at heart.

We are never going to stem the tide of people wanting cute kittens but when they approach this forum for help and advice we should try our best to keep our emotions at bay and provide carefully worded help and for those who do not take it then don't attack just leave well alone how ever frustrating it is :cursing:

There is some much knowledge and experience here to share with us newbies that it would be a great shame to tar this place with the idea that no one can come for help without being attacked.

I love being on here to share my love for my three beautiful cats and really love reading about the adventures of others!

Xxx

10. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Please refrain from personal abuse, both of your posts are insulting.

Reasoned debate will get you much further. :)

11. Jiskefet

Well, well, well..........

A troll........
    And a troll on a mission, no less.....

Trying to rile and abuse people in order to get his shameless advertizing noticed.

This forum IS deteriorating if this is allowed to go on.

MODS!!!!!!!

Please discard this mouldy leaf to the bin.

12. koekemakranka

I am a catty old woman and proud of it! :D

pollypage likes this.
  13. koekemakranka

:eek: My word, how rude! No wonder the business didn't work out with customer relations like this. :mad:

14. Emma1985billy

Emma1985billy PetForums Junior

As a newbie I find it of putting to join threads or reply later on when an argument has broken out, having only been on here a few days and seen the rumbles or dispute and unnecessary comments, I am all for the rules! Makes it more welcoming if arguments if presented, everyone is entitled to their opinion but shouldn't be at the expense of someone else's feelings! X

pollypage likes this.
  15. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Oh my god didn't 'goldleaf' used to put up outside cat fences etc? I was going to contact them in the future, why have they become so nasty? :eek:

16. ForeverHome

ForeverHome PetForums VIP

Tuppenceworth from a newbie who joined a couple of weeks ago precisely for the help and support found on this forum via Google:

For 7 years I belonged to another forum, not animal related. Like all communities it's had its ups and downs, but in the last 3 years arguments and personal insults have gone unchecked. Allegations against members, some true and some false, have been allowed to escalate into witch hunts and people have been threatened and even physically hurt. In that case I blame this other forum's moderating team but all members must take responsibility for their own posts.

Having seen what happens when a management team doesn't have rules like this, I am very glad to see it here. Think of a forum as a public place - is it appropriate to start an argument with a stranger in a restaurant and for all the customers to bitch about that customer together when he is asked to leave?

I'd like to say a big thank you to members and moderators for a forum that feels welcoming and is so full of helpful, supportive advice and discussion without bullying, belittling or bickering. I've never seen so many posts of thanks between members. Happy place!

pollypage and CoCoTrio like this.
  17. Jiskefet

What a lot of poppycock, GW.

On the thread about the thread that was removed, someone said they still had all the details you needed and would gladly send them to you privately. You never responded to that, but instead took another swipe at the owner and the mods.
    So I doubt very much if it is really the information in the closed thread you are after. Methinks you just intend to stir up as much trouble as you can.

18. goldleaf

goldleaf PetForums Member

i mever did get banned, simply because i wasnt wrong. :p

19. Jiskefet

You only got a temporary ban, if I remember correctly.

Apparently you did ruin your business with your attitude, though... You are nowhere to be found on the internet any more. Were you seriously trying to sell cat-proofing fences with an attitude like that??

So why ARE you coming back after all this time, if not to rile people?
    Your only ever objective was to attract attention to your advertising...

#279 Jiskefet, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  20. Get Bunny Box

Get Bunny Box PetForums Junior

I think that the rules should be abided by, it's not too much to ask for.

pollypage likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice