Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rules to Prevent Arguments on the Forum

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tashi, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Most genuine new members find this forum while searching for information or help, or because they want to share their joy about their pets or their grief at the loss of a pet, NOT to start controversial arguments.

The ones that do seek out forums with the intention to start controversial arguments are commonly known as trolls, and we get too many of those as it is.

No need to encourage them.....

2. pouncing

pouncing PetForums Junior

Please feel free to remove this comment, and even ban me, it will prove my point. As i still can post (for now) i feel its my duty. Since joining its become increasingly clear that one culture/mindset dominates. This is why you are losing members and in trying to remedy that you (vips ect) are making it worse and becoming very hypercritical and bias. Welcome some with open arms, chase the rest with pitchforks. Its those members you loose, the ones you dont want anyway and are afraid to speak.

3. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I have to say I'm a new member, and I have had no issues at all with the site, or the people on here.

What I have found on all website ( Used to run my own Rottweiler Site for years), people don't like to hear certain things, and they take them personally, and they don't like being told that they are doing something wrong, or that they are wrong, human nature I guess BUT would you rather people just sat by and didn't care about the welfare of animals OR voice their opinions? Animals don't have a voice they have to rely on humans to defend them :(

I notice that people on here LOVE their furry babies with all their hearts and souls and they want the best for them, and the best for the other furry babies out there....

I struggle to keep my mouth shut at some of the things I've read ( I'm an utter gobshite normally) so I can understand the frustrations of other long term members if they see the same thing day in day out year in year out, it has to be pretty frustrating to see people being "stupid" where animals are concerned. For those that get offended it's only words on the screen, you can ignore them, or chose to take the advise given, people seem to get offended when they don't get the advise they "think" is the right advise.

Life's to short, and at the end of the day it's the internet, you can chose to be hurt and upset by perceived harsh words, or shrug it off take it on the chin and maybe learn something... :thumbsup:

MoggyBaby likes this.
  4. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Anyone can be a VIP! Just chat away merrily about anything :D

Seriously though, what do you mean?

5. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I couldn't work out what they meant either, clearly to have a nice red blob they have upset or annoyed someone at some stage.

6. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

You mean being a VIP isn't special :crying:

:D

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

This forum has plenty of members who are passionate about their animals and are not afraid to speak their minds. The arguments start because of people who don't want to listen and perhaps learn. You will find a large number of those who have stayed are the ones open minded enough to accept criticism. We have also had our fair share of those who just wish to cause trouble - they are generally the ones who don't stay for long.

8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

So true. Probably not helped sometimes by people like me who can't be bothered to couch things in pretty language. I'm no touch typist and will always stick to a one liner when possible. I forget how delicate some people's sensibilities are :)

9. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Why should you, sometimes people just need to be told, and don't get it when it's put in fluffy language.

My dog breed is the Rottweiler ( I used to be a Military doghandler), and I see it so often on sites I want to cry, that someone makes a comment that is scary and often dangerous about their dog, and then they get offended when people "jump on them" "attack them" or what ever they want to call it, what they don't understand is those people who they think have "attacked" them have invested most of their lives "bettering" the breeds reputation, advising people about training, feeding, breeding etc etc and mostly picking up the pieces after someone who hasn't listen and has to give up their dog etc it's sooooooooooooooooo frustrating :mad2:

But then some people get some kind of sick kick ( personally makes me wonder about their mental state) out of coming on to forums just to cause a fight? What on earth do you get out of that.

I love this place already and have found everyone be very helpful and welcoming :D

10. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I'm glad you and your 4 amazing meezers aren't going anywhere!!

Sorry, do carry on :D

( you can see how I got to be VIP :tongue_smilie:)

11. Kah

Kah PetForums Senior

My view is that I came on here asking for support and got it. My cat disappeared and all I received was kindness. My cat does go outdoors and some people did talk about cat proofing/imddors only etc but it was put in a very nice way - simply as their opinion.
    To be totally honest, I have seen a few replies to other threads when I have thought 'oh that sounds a bit harsh'. However, sometimes that is the problem with non face to face conversation. If that ever happened to me, I would probably just message the person and explain how it made me feel. It's also very easy to misread comments. (I once agreed with someone who thought I was criticising them. When I re- read my post I could see that it could be taken two ways)
    I don't always agree with everything that is said on the forum but this is clearly a place where people really care about cats and that is the most important thing.
    I do know that I have read about more amazing acts of kindness on here than any petty arguments.
    Kx

Jiskefet likes this.
  12. Cookieandme

Me to :D. I had a post deleted the other day, apparently I can be a little blunt ;)

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Really???? Well that's no good. :nonod: May one suggest one of these to sharpen you up a bit........ :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

14. pouncing

pouncing PetForums Junior

Totaly know what you mean about the non face to face thing, ive thought that before, email and texting arguements can damage friendships (offline). As such you have to take things with a pinch of salt

15. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Havoc, while there are some in the past, I'd confidently have referred for anger-management courses I have to say, I've never seen anything objectionable in your posts, one liners or not! You do yourself a disservice!:p

16. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I think with my number of posts (and VIP being based purely on post count) I should be a VVVIP!:thumbup: if not now then at least when I get to 10,000

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

In that case I should be a RRVVVIP. :D :D

18. Cookieandme

I have one and 2 fabulous Robert Welsh knives :D

19. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Lord knows what my post count would be if I actually ever posted in General!

20. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Just on this note, there have been times when I have thought VIP?! How? Why? (none of you!) Until I realised it was based on post counts. I think it *may* mislead new people (like I used to be!). I had to be around a while to realise this though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice