Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rules to Prevent Arguments on the Forum

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tashi, Jun 13, 2011.

1. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Mark put this in general chat dated 14-06-2009, 08:54 AM please read and inwardly digest, may I also say that I am not the only one that does any banning on here, they are also NOT taken lightly and are discussed between us mods before it happens ;)

New Rules to Prevent Arguments on the Forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Recently we have noticed certain people who often start petty arguments on threads and take the threads off topic which ruins the thread and ends up getting it closed.

Please note that this will not be tolerated from now on and any arguments started on the open forum will be dealt with quickly to prevent it from happening again. For anyone who starts the argument and takes the thread off topic, they will firstly be given an infraction, if they continue, they will be given a 1 day ban as a cooling off period. After this ban, if they continue they will be given a 2 week ban and then a permanent ban from using the forum.

When a member is banned, any pm's from users to mods or admin regarding the ban will be ignored and any threads started as to why a member is banned will result in an infraction and then a ban for the thread starter and the thread will be deleted. Any decisions made to ban a user by admin or a mod should be respected.

Also, when a mod has made a decision to remove a thread for any reason, which is usually cause it is argumentative or detrimental to the forum, could we please not create a new thread about why the old thread was deleted. It would have been deleted for a good reason. If you have any questions about it, then pm a mod.

Please note that these rules have been created to stop the petty arguments that have been hapenning on the forum which get out of control and put our visitors off joining this forum.

Many Thanks for your understanding
    Mark

AshJack and momentofmadness like this.
  2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I do appreciate that rules are needed to keep forum life in line and ticking along nicely but personally I think these near "Orwellian" rules come close to gagging orders and create nothing but bad blood if one is not allowed to discuss why people one knows get banned.

I guess the current solution is to take all these discussions to pm, which keeps the forum "clean" but I think that is such a back-handed way of dealing with things. And the pf community is not dealing with it but it all becomes secret whispers. Is it worth all this to keep a "clean" forum?

3. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Surely if you want us to deny the existence of banned member then maybe all their posts should be wiped out as well :rolleyes::

4. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

The plain fact is that the forum is losing members, hence the reasoning behind posting these rules.

It would take far too long to delete all posts of banned members, especially as most bannings are temporary.

AshJack, KATZ1355 and momentofmadness like this.
  5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Guys as you can see these rules were originally put up by Mark.... We only follow them through..

Now surely if you have issues with the rules, you need to PM Mark.. (petforum).. :D

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

However, the plain fact also is that pre-existing members are getting ticked off because history is being rewritten (a tad polemic I know but hey) when threads get moved into the moderating ether; not just simply locked, and when one isn't even allowed to discuss why certain members have been banned (albeit most often only temporarily). I cannot see the relevance of either of those to keeping (new) members.

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

The rule is there, something that Mark set up to try to help us out.

Can I just point out that moderating this forum is not an easy task, we dont get paid a penny - we dont get much thanks off the membership - we try to keep things without getting too harsh with the moderating and we do try to get it right. Obviously we do miss things on times, we are also human so yes on times we get it wrong. We also have lives outside the forum ;)

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

So do we "normal" posters. We also don't get paid to put our knowledge or advice on here for others to benefit. ;)

9. holly2009

holly2009 Guest

I think its a great idea to refresh peoples memories old members and new!

As a forum we should all post buy the rules, they are there for a reason, it keeps threads on topic & hopefully continues to build new members on the forum (rather than scaring them all off)

All the recent bannings have been a long time coming in my opinion.
    (MOD please remove if inapropriate)

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

But the rules make it clear that any pms to you guys or to Mark about people being banned will not be answered. So, what is the point. I am actually surprised this thread is still going and hasn't been moderated and locked.

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I cannot say anymore I too was a normal poster once and I never got paid for my knowledge or advice but then I joined and chose to help people, chose to offer help and advice, I was asked to take the post of mod but still I do help out when not moderating

12. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

You know full well that threads are moved to moderating section so that the unacceptable posts can be edited.

Nowhere on the forum (not just the cat section) is talk about banned members allowed.

What goes on in the cat section is losing members. We've had discussions before about giving advice and passing on knowledge in a reasonable manner, members have warnings and bannings and still come back on with the same bad attitude.

Other than posting a reminder of the rules what do you want us to do about the situation, a mass banning???

suzy93074 likes this.
  13. momentofmadness

When we all joined we all agreed to the T&C.. I personally still see myself as a member.. And will quite happily offer any support or advice that is needed..

T&C
    For the most part, the moderators and staff who run this Pet Forum are unpaid volunteers. These people have stepped up from the community to help make this a better place for all visitors, including YOU! Arguing, intimidating, or otherwise harassing the Pet Forums members of staff will not be tolerated in any way shape or form. Posting on these forums is considered a privilege, and is NOT a right. Likewise, we maintain the right to disallow, prohibit, ban, eject, delete, or otherwise refuse service to anyone who won't abide by our rules listed on these pages.

If you have questions about the moderators, staff, the forum, or our rules, please contact us using the 'contact us' link at the top or bottom of every page on the forums.

Although the staff and moderators of the Pet Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and the owners of the Forums will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Use of Language
    Light profanity is allowed. HOWEVER, excessive profanity and profanity directed at others in an insulting manner will not be tolerated, nor will obscene, vulgar, hateful, threatening or language violative of any laws.

Harassment
    Harassing, flaming and threatening other users WILL NOT be tolerated. Moderators / Administrators reserve the right to delete any posts if they find them inappropriate in any way.

Respect
    This is a site which enjoys the company of members from all over the world. While healthy debate is encouraged, please have the courtesy to respect the views of others. Please do not use obscene or offensive language, or engage in personal attacks or "flaming" of other members. This will not be tolerated and Pet Forums staff will be entitled to suspend users accounts.

If any member has an issue or problem with any member of the forum, moderator, staff or forum policy, then please contact the forum administrator using the 'Contact Us' link at the top and bottom of any page on the forum. Any dispute posted on the forum will be removed as soon as it is seen my a member of staff. Disputes or concerns are often easily resolved, yet have the tendency to go out of control on the forum and do not portray a welcoming face to new and other existing members alike.

#13 momentofmadness, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, I think it should just all be a little more transparent. When people want to discuss members who have been banned then why shouldn't they allowed to do that?

I don't think that these rules - not being allowed to even mention banned members, let alone discuss them, and threads just disappearing into the moderating ether (with some resurfacing later, others don't) - is of benefit to new or old members and that it helps keep them. As I said earlier, imo it creates the opposite ambience - a bad taste in people's mouth.

15. momentofmadness

Stated previously.. PM Petforum...

16. holly2009

holly2009 Guest

You read the rules....you know why they have been banned, pretty simple, whats to discuss? threads about banned members is helpful to nobody imo

17. Well I for one will never contribute to another serious thread! All you will get from me form today onwards is CR*p! if ya can't beat em join em!:f

18. momentofmadness

Quite funny really mentioning about being paid to give advice.. I used to get paid plenty of money as a qualified riding instructor.. Also got paid plenty for backing and schooling.. :)
    Oh yeah and judging at shows.. and designing show jumping courses... I also used to do it all for free.. :)
    I come on here by choice.. :)

#18 momentofmadness, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  19. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

It's negative, tittle-tattle IMO.

Some of the things I've seen in the cat section lately (also in other sections, granted ;)) leave a bad taste too.

I know mods try to do their best to return threads as soon as possible, but sometimes they can't be. I'm sure this happens in most forums :)

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Indeed, and that was my point. We come on here to voluntarily and freely give our advice (solicited or unsolicited) and you guys also voluntarily give your time to do some moderating. But we are in the same boat - we all choose to do what we do on here for free and because we want to. So, the argument that mods also have lives outside of pf and don't get paid for their moderating is nil and void imo. That was my point. Sorry, I didn't make it clearer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice