Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New rug apparently looks like a litter box

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lucy2020, Nov 24, 2021 at 9:41 PM.

1. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Senior

Hi all. Bought a small rug to go in front of the fireplace. This one: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/fardrup-rug-grey-90360639/

Put it in front of the fireplace, then a bit later my husband exclaimed in surprise - he'd stepped in a puddle of wee on there. Cleaned it up and nothing since then until about 20 mins ago, Triss walked right in front of us, scratched at it just like in the litter box, and started peeing.
    They otherwise don't want to walk on it, so they're pretty much treating it like a litterbox. I suppose the texture is a bit rough, and it's thick...

Is there anything I can do, or shall I just chuck it in the bin? :rolleyes:

Edit: Just to add she's perfectly healthy as far as I know, still uses her litter box and isn't urinating more frequently or anything. The only other incident we've had like this is that she also urinated on a sewing machine that hadn't been unpacked from a moving box - that was a while ago and we think she might have thought because it was a box, it was a litterbox, or a scent marking thing because new house...

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

tbh I think it does look a lot like the litter that we use ! So maybe understandable confusion on Triss's part ?

As it is a new rug maybe it's the smell ? Is it washable ? If so perhaps try washing it and then replacing it before binning it ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

Did you use enzyme cleaner on the area that was peed on the first time? Who knows what went through kitty’s brain the first time, but after, I’d it smells like wee it’s basically a litterbox.

If urination disruption keeps happening I’d test for a UTI/crystals, though. Inappropriate peeing is health related first, behavioral second, with the reverse being true of the causes of inappropriate pooing.

4. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Senior

Yeah, I can definitely see the resemblance. It's hand-washable... will try it.

I did not - I don't have any. It was just kind of sitting on the surface because of the fabric type, so It was easy to just use a cloth. It doesn't smell to us, but it probably does to them. I'll have to try washing it.
    She still hasn't peed anywhere else, and it hasn't happened again luckily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice