Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New rodents under my care...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Neza, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

My little zoo has expanded greatly in the last year, I now have more then ten big aquariums and cages holding a large variety of mice, hamsters, guinea pigs and other rodents. On top of taking in rescues whenever I can, I have been working to increase the health of some of my mouse bloodlines.

The most recent successes were two litters, one from a Pearl/Skewbald crossing, the other an attempt to merge more healthy Agouti traits to the Satin line I have been trying to maintain.

The Pearl litter came from a doe named Ragu:

[​IMG]

Here's her little squeakers looking nice and pink:

[​IMG]

Aren't they healthy looking, at least from what I could tell, as I only could look for a few seconds. But I think I saw at least 8-9 pups...

[​IMG]

I'm currently working on the pics of the other doe and her brood, should have them up soon...

Akai-Chan likes this.
  2. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Oh how cute! You must be a proud parent :D Congratulations!!

3. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Thanks, srhdufe, I am. I'm hoping for an equal split of Pearls and Skewbalds (Broken Agouti) in the litter.

4. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Here are some of the Fancy mice living in my largest tank:

[​IMG]

The Broken Black Pinto is Aega, and her brown and white pal is Toffee, one of our two oldest Skewbalds...

[​IMG]

Toffee is actually Aega's great aunt, which most likely helped them form their current bond. They are always together now and preen each other over all others, it's very sweet. :)

Now, a doe who hasn't yet bonded with another is Stormy here:

[​IMG]

She's pretty much a lone wolf, though she gets along fine with the rest of the group. Stormy's issue might be the fact that she seems to only come out when everybody else is pretty much asleep. Another mouse like that is Aega's sister Prima:

[​IMG]

Prima is only seen in the afternoons, which is when the entire tank is usually fast asleep. Prima just enjoys her solitude I guess. Now, her opposite would most definitely be Pixie:

[​IMG]

That plump Chimera is always out-and-about at all hours, seriously I wonder if she actually sleeps. Pixie is nearly two years old now but she appears to have more energy then an eight week-old pup. But perhaps that's Pixie's secret to reaching such a ripe age of two years. :)

#4 Neza, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  5. Daisy2006

Daisy2006 PetForums Member

Very sweet. How many mice do you have?

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Currently 38, if you count the babies.

7. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Ragu he was nice enough to be out having breakfast when I came in, so I was able to remove her for a bit and take a closer look at the pups...

[​IMG]

I went into the box and carefully removed all the pups so that I could inspect the nest properly for any issues. But there were none that I could find, good, so I was then able to examine the litter...

[​IMG]

Aren't they the cutest. :)

They are all piled up on top of each other in the pics, but I am happy to report there are 10 perfect little pups, and some of them are already starting to darken...

[​IMG]

I bet those darker ones are going to take after mommy Ragu and be Pearls. But five others appear to still be pale, so perhaps they are future Skewbalds like their dad Georgie...

[​IMG]

Only time will tell. They all seem nice and plump with round milk bellies, Ragu is taking excellent care of them...

8. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

SOOOOOOOOOO sweet! :D

9. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

They are the cutest, I agree. :)

10. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I always hated mice... Field mice keep getting in the house from next door.. I hate them! The babies are cute though.. hehe

Yours are soooo cute. I've never seen fancy mice like that before. :)
    I want some little squeekers now :D

11. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

The babies can win people over, I agree. Just wait until they get all furry, then they become impossible to resist. :D

12. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Aww I love lil pinkies haha.
    I've not been keen on mice, but yours are such cuties :)

I'm getting pinkie hamster broody now.

13. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Thanks. :D

So when you say pinkie hamster, do you mean hairless? I've only seen one hairless hamster for real, I liked it, wouldn't mind getting one of my own.

14. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Here's another newer mouse I have, her name is Amber and she is a Golden Agouti...

[​IMG]

She has fluffy gold Satin fur, her coat really shimmers and shines. I bred her myself from a Satin buck and an Agouti doe with the Satin gene. As you can see, Amber is developinging nicely but is still small and a bit shy. So I had to chose her tankmate carefully and I think I found the perfect one. I've put her in with one of my runt mice that I've been working with, Vena.

Here's Vena's first encounter with Amber:

[​IMG]

Taking pics of these two might be difficult, as Vena's white fur is so pure it actually causes a dazzle effect, which Amber's own Satin gold isnt helping either...

[​IMG]

Amber and Vena the red-eyed runt seemed to like each other though, which is great...

[​IMG]

The runt may have both grown a lot since I first got her, but Amber is still the healthier of the two, IMHO. They are still a bit young to try and dominate each other yet, so hopefully the twoof them will become fast friends...

#14 Neza, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  15. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

May I have your beautiful mice pleeze Neza? Aww go on I asked nicely:D.

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I've actually never seen a hairless hamster.
    I once bought a hamster that was pregnant, didn't realise it at the time.
    Two days later, there were 10 lil pink hammies in her bed, until they grew fur obviously lol. They were soo cute and I loved watching them grow up and of course I had to keep one.
    Sorry I didn't make my previous post clear :)

#16 EmzieAngel, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  17. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

^No problem, EmzieAngel, I understand what you mean now. I love watching the little pink pups grow up too, no matter what kind of rodent they are. :)

Nope, they're all mine. :D

But you can visit and play with them. ;)

18. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Ragu's litter is coming along nicely, look how they've grown since yesterday:

[​IMG]

There now appear to be six Pearls and four Skewbalds, very nice, and markings are starting to show as pigment floods the skin...

[​IMG]

Their whiskers are gaining length and their ears are starting to peel, very cute. The aren't squirmy at all and seem to enjoy being held...

[​IMG]

Starting tomorrow we will be handling them twice a day, to give them the best chance of turning out tame. Their mom is pretty friendly and we want her pups to be the same...

[​IMG]

Ragu has ceased to be nervous when I take her out of the tank and put her back in. She doesn't even go check the nest for changes as you can see, she instead went to get a drink of water. :)

19. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I have a new doe, her name is Nougat, and she is fitting in well with the other mice...

[​IMG]

She is a little Skewbald, a Broken Agouti, and she seems to be enjoying her new home and spends many hours a day exploring it from top to bottom...

[​IMG]

Currently Nougat's only companion is Lucy, one of my older mice...

[​IMG]

Lucy is a bit of an old grouch but she'd never hurt anybody. I'm currently trying to decide who else to add to the group. It might be Amber, our Golden Agouti, as the time has come to seperate her from her mom. Hopefully old Lucy here will accept her...

[​IMG]

See how hard it is to get a pic of her? The moment she realizes I'm around she zips back inside the house. Oh well...

20. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Ragu's brood was looking just fantasic today, with skin flaking all around and the Pearl pups noticably bigger then their Skewbald siblings...

[​IMG]

You can really see the markings on the Skews now, I'm quite pleased with their progress...

[​IMG]

Again, during the summer I attempted to breed a new generation of Skewbalds myself but I kept getting litters with hardly any at all in them. But Ragu has given us four...

[​IMG]

A friend and fellow breeder will be getting a male and female Skewbald from the litter, the rest I am keeping, so that means I should get at least two Skews out of this, and maybe even three. I'm very excited. :)

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are already responding to our touch and will actively seek your hand out when it is present. Taming is coming along nicely...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice