Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rescue Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ZoeM, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hey guys,

So I got commandeered to look after some kittens and a mum cat. Hopefully these will be less traumatic than the last litter.

Mum is so skinny, bless her - her hips are jutting out and you can see her ribs. The lady who took the cats in rescued them from an elderly struggling neighbour, but though well meaning she's not really fed her enough and the cats and kittens haven't been flead or wormed. The fleas are running through the kittens coats at the moment. I am going to de-flea tomorrow, I have done the first worming tonight and didn't want to overburden them with treatments. Mum has been flead and wormed. She hasn't been to the litter tray yet but she's eaten three pouches over 5 hours, mixed in with some water. Thankfully its cooled down a bit for everyone.

The kittens are 2 1/2 weeks old and Mum is likely under 1 year old herself. She is a good mum and I hope she feels more comfortable soon with the fleas dropping dead as we speak and the worms likely to be ejected shortly (Not looking forward to that one!).

So, Mum is a beautiful ginger spotted and striped with white socks. The kittens we have 1 full tortoiseshell, two white socked tortoiseshells, and a ginger and white - so potentially four girls! I have attached pics (of course) :)

We are having a football theme for this litter, so all will be named after the England Women's football team as they did so well this year! To start off Mum is called Fara (Fara Williams), the tortie is called Lucy Bronze, the athletic-looking socked young lady (if I dont get them mixed up as they seem identical) is called Bardsley England (after Karen Bardsley).

Tortie.jpeg Socks 2.jpeg Socks 1.jpeg Home.jpeg Ginge and White.jpeg

Charity, Jesthar, saartje and 12 others like this.
  2. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Member

Oh, what pretties! And what a proud Mum!

ZoeM likes this.
  3. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

What beauties and mum looks very elegant

Soozi and ZoeM like this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

They are gorgeous! Thank you so much for caring for this cute family! Bless you. xxx

ZoeM likes this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

You’ll have your hands full with the naughty torties :D

Cotton bedding can be cooler for mama in warm weather, though she looks comfortable enough in your pics.

Rufus15 and ZoeM like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Beautiful kittens - 3 girls and a boy :)

Get some cooling mats from B&M if you haven't already, they're great for keeping cats cool

7. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Even in the very hot temps you are experiencing in the UK I would be mindful that kittens this young need to be kept much warmer. not sure I'd use cool mats on such young babies, maybe just for the Mum? just my thoughts on the matter.

8. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hey hey, all kittens are fine how they are. They are quite cool in my bathroom at the moment, its room temp and they have been comfy. I offered Mum the cooling mat and she wasn't bothered. If they all got through yesterday, they can get through pretty much any temperature I think!

Kitten de-fleaing went well today. I was kinda dreading it, thinking Mum would be grumpy but she was pretty laid back as long as she could see what was going on. I used frontline spray for kittens and it was really easy to use and rub in, and left the kittens dry within a few minutes of gentle rubbing. Very impressed with it. Loads of fleas dropped off, so tomorrow they get a change of bedding and then the day after, we will move rooms temporarily and I will use the indorex on the bathroom with another change of bedding, and then move them back after a few hours.

Hoping we'll be flea free then!

Mum is so thin, her hips are jutting out. I have had her on Wild Freedom kitten food which has a nice high meat content. I was worried about her getting diarrhoea but thankfully all has been good in that area. Any recommendations other than what I'm giving her? I'm also using Royal Canine kitten food as it was the highest protein content I could find in Pets at Home, but I can do a shop online now I know what I'm dealing with. Mum cat seems well in herself, just awfully thin. I suppose I could give her some fresh chicken or fresh fish which would help. I have some frozen fish and can get some chicken.

Oh! I weighed all the kittens too today (I have learned so much from here, nobody in my rescue weighs kittens!). I still have another worming day to go tomorrow so I will expect maybe some weight loss tomorrow maybe after all the worms have gone but let me know what you think of these; the kittens will be 3 weeks old Sat/Sun.

Nikita (ginge and white) 371g
    Bronzey (pure tortie) 331g
    Bardsley (Tortie and white with stripe) 315g
    Izzy (tortie and white without stripe) 341g

I was also thinking of giving mum some kitten milk - you think this will help get some weight on her?

Fara.jpg ginge.jpg izzy.jpg

saartje and cheekyscrip like this.
  9. Rufus15

Can that be used as a boy's name as well? As ginge is definitely a boy :p

Sounds like they're doing fab, well done you!

ZoeM likes this.
  10. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hahah Nikita definitely a girl, I looked and no bumpy bits! Ginge and white is pretty much the spit of Mum

Soozi likes this.
  11. Rufus15

Unless there were two fathers, it's genetically impossible to get a red girl out of a red mum and a litter of torties. Dad has to have been black, therefore all girls will be tortie and all boys will be red

12. spotty cats

Agree - red girl with tortie kittens dad has to be black/blue.
    To get red girls dad must be red (or cream) as well and then all kittens would be red, no torties.

So she is either a he, or 2 sires.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  13. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

cheekyscrip and Treaclesmum like this.
  14. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

It is possible two fathers are involved, she was wandering!

Nikita Parris is an England international football player and she plays for Lyon :)

Gallifreyangirl and Soozi like this.
  15. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

All 5 of them are adorable.

You’ve done a good job in taking on their care.

Hannah

16. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Nikita is a girls name in my book! Elton John can’t be wrong! Lol!
    Poppy is a boys name here! o_O
    I’d love to know why there are so many street cats here that have Siamese markings! Including the blue eyes like Saffy.

Trixie1 and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  17. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Aww, thanks Hannah - I cant take too much credit, I've only had them since thursday :) Mum cat has done all the hard work but at least fleas and worms under control now!

Mum cat does have really pretty markings, I thought the same about the Siamese head but I think it's just because she is so underweight. :(

Kittens are doing well today, they seem to be trying to climb up the box, so I've given them a stern talking to about the perils of land Outside Box and they have agreed not to try again for at least a week. Well, they all fell asleep, so i too that as agreement ;)

Here are some lovely pics of Nikita's bottom for everyone to admire, and advise on sex :D

Nikita bum 2.jpeg Nikita bum.jpeg

cheekyscrip likes this.
  18. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I think Nikita could be a boy! Lol!

cheekyscrip likes this.
  19. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hahahahah ..dammit lmao

Soozi likes this.
  20. spotty cats

Yep that’s a boy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice