Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New rescue dog on heat!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Mamma_Mia, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mamma_Mia

Mamma_Mia PetForums Newbie

Hi

We've just brought our 2 year old rescue staffy home and 3 days in she has come on heat! She is very affectionate with us and sleeps a lot, she has been toileting inside, won't toilet in our back yard and has quite severe lead anxiety/agression. We don't know how much of this is due to her moving into a new home, how much is the heat/season, and how much is her normal behaviour! The guy who had her before said she was never aggressive to other dogs but she occasionally snarls at dogs who are overly keen or dominant towards her, and she pulls and whines towards and dog in the distance.

We're trying to house train and lead train her but also give her the affection she needs while on heat all at the same time. is this going to be confusing for her, or should we keep up the training?

Any reassurance or advice would be appreciated!!

2. leashedForLife

For now, I'd focus on getting her to relax & settle in, & i'd forget entirely about "other dogs", since --- for approx the next month .--- she can't hang out companionably with either gender. :rolleyes: . I'd start the "other dogs" stuff around the last week of July, when her hormones have markedly dropped.
    [I'd also schedule a spay surgery for as soon post-estrus as the vet deems apropos.]

As for the indoor voiding, i'd put her in an airline-approved shipping crate when she's indoors, one sized for TrAVEL - big-enuf for her to U-turn in order to exit, but with no extra space to void in one area, & lie-down in another. // Shipping crates have one-piece molded bottom halves, which do not leak; unlike wire AKA show-crates, urine or stool or vomit or spilled food in a shipping-crate cannot splash thru the mesh "walls", as there aren't any, nor slop over the shallow pan's edge onto the carpet, as it does in wire crates.

I'd pretend she's a pup again, & start housetraining over from the very foundation - ALL POTTY TRIPS would be on leash, every one accompanied by an adult to oversee her efforts, note whether it's liquid or solid, REWARD her, & guesstimate the volume of what she produced in each trip, in a written log - to be posted where others can update with their own entries.
    All urine or stool that's produced outdoors gets an immediate ON THE SPOT reward with pea-sized to half-pea sized tidbits, fresh, freeze-dried, or lickable.
    I'd schedule her, every 2-hours from rise in the AM to bedtime at night, plus after all triggers -
    - wake from a nap
    - after a meal or a large drink
    - after active play
    - after exciting events [visitors, or on a weekday morning, spouse / offspring join U & dog later for their own brekkie, etc].

After her estrous period as a hermit, I'd add another week to 10-days to the "work on her only" regime, then I'd cautiously begin BRIEF, HAPPY exposures to other *
    distant* dogs, one dog at a time, to begin... & i'd pair every visible or audible dog with Nice Things - food, toys, attn, interactive play [tug, fetch, flirt-pole...].
    I'd keep the distance between them such that she's aware of, but not reacting to, the other dog... at all - no stiffened posture, no stares, no hackles, no elevated tail & slow flagging, & definitely no barks, growls, or lunges. Aware, but calm - observant, not defensive, & with no need to actively aggress.
    I'd cut the distance only as she progresses - as her opinion of other dogs improves, & as she learns new emotional responses to the presence of other dogs.

- terry

3. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Irrelevant to the topic at hand (sorry OP) but L4L you're baaaack :D

ameliajane, kittih and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. leashedForLife

QUOTE, picaresque:

Irrelevant to the topic... (sorry, OP) but L4L, you're baaaack. :D

yes - well, a year still lasts 12-months. :D Doesn't it? - or has that been changed by the new math, too? :eek:
    - terry

picaresque likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would keep her quietly at home while she settles in tbh

Limit walks to short lead walks away from other dogs and avoid contact with them as much as possible.

It’s a big enough upheaval for her being in a new home and her season on top will probably make her feel a bit cranky and vulnerable.

The stress hormone is cumulative so each stressful encounter tops her up. A quiet settling in period will help that hormone to dissipate and you can start again with her on “empty”.

With the toileting, I would treat her like a puppy and go back to basics. Take her into the garden on a lead and just wander with her and when she goes praise/reward.

Do you have grass in the yard? If not that might be putting her off. Perhaps buy a length of turf to put down which might encourage her?

Boys will often want to cover a human wee so that might be worth trying too as it might work with her ;)

Unless she is crate trained already I would just put a baby gate at the kitchen door so any accidents are confined to that room when you can’t be watching her for signs she needs to toilet.

Look at kikopup and positively.com for tips on dealing with her reactivity around other dogs.

Find the distance at which she can relax and treat/praise so she associates other dogs as a positive. Slowly you may be able to reduce that distance.

She really doesn’t need to be buddies with every dog she sees tbh so be firm with other owners to ensure their dogs respect her boundaries. Be vigilant and ready to take a different route if necessary.

If she can be happy with one or two select buddies I’d be happy with that tbh

leashedForLife and kittih like this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Wow that year went quick. Good to see you again (see not be taken in the literal sense):Smuggrin

7. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I don't even know what happened but it's good to see you back :)

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Good to see you back L4L but your sig still says banned ;)

I’ve been wondering how you are :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice