Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New rescue cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Birdsong, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Birdsong

Birdsong PetForums Junior

Hi everyone!

We're visiting a rescue cat at a fosterer's later (through a charity)

He's neutered, up to date with flea/worming tablets but not chipped or vaccinated.

The chipped part we don't mind but not vaccinated??

I asked if he was healthy she said yes he was checked over when neutered but what if he was vulnerable to illness with the other cats she looks after or has FIV

The charity advertised him in the first place and they have to include FIV information if it were the case and they didn't so that reassures me a bit

It has still thrown me. I was planning on booking a vets appointment to register him and sort out all the things he needs.

Would you be concerned?

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

It doesn't sound great that he is not chipped or vaccinated. Most animal charities are hot on this. But that is something you could get done after adopting him.

If he's an adult tom who has been outdoors unneutered and fighting he could be at a higher risk of FIV and it might be a good idea to test him. But if he's not reached maturity or has been kept indoor then the risk is very low anyway.

3. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

Most rescues don't routinely check for FIV unless there is a reason to do so such as the cat is showing signs of illness so this wouldn't cause major alarm bells. That said I would talk to my vets if concerned and let them advise whether testing is needed, if I had other cats I would probably be a bit more cautious on this. Lack of vaccinations is surprising though given he is up to date in flea and worming and has seen a vet for neutering. But as has been said this can be quickly sorted by you after adoption.

4. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

As an afterthought, I wonder if they have started the vaccinations but the full course is not completed. Not uncommon for rescue to give first set of jabs and new owner to complete.

Jackie C likes this.
  5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Yes, that was what I was wondering. When we rescued Holly, she'd had her first set of immunisations, but we had to make an appointment for her second lot. I can't understand why they haven't chipped him, though. You could always ask them why. If they give a good explanation that satisfies you, that's good. If they become defensive, and argumentative, it tells you something!!
    Good luck with your new family member, and when he's home, photos of him would be lovely. x

KCTT likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

How old is the cat? When I adopted my two 4 month old kittens from Rescue they had not been vaccinated. They had been handed in to the Rescue at 9 weeks old and were assumed not to have been vaccinated.

Kittens who are born in Rescue usually IME have at least their first set of vacs before being homed.

Most cats taken in by Rescues are not young kittens (unlike my two girls) and the policy is often not to vaccinate before re-homing. For one thing it would be a big expense to vaccinate every cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice