Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new rats, new home, new cage... help?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by considerthis, Nov 22, 2012.

1. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

ok, i have been reading about the social need of rats and feel really bad for my girl, i only got her 24 hours ago, they said they thought she is about a year old and as far as i can tell she has been alone most of her life, so i think i would like to get 1 or 2 young rats for company, i am getting a big cage for her tomorrow as the one she is in now i wouéd feel guilty keeping a hamster in it, because the new cage will be neutral territory would it be best to get them so they all go in the cage at the same time? Advice would be immensly appreciated please.

2. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

if she has been alone for a year i would be careful introducing them. take your time with it. intro them on neutral territory like on your bed or in the bath. watch them like a hawk.

3. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I used the hamster cage method.Basically I got a bitey rescue rat who had been alone and unhandled for a year, and I wanted him in with my baby rats.So first they had meetings in the bath for a few days.Then Klaus (bitey boy) jumped into the babies cage and all was ok for a few hours but they started fighting so Klaus went back to his cage.A few days later I put them all into a hamster cage with nothing in it but water and bedding and took them for a car ride.Got home,kept them in the hamster cage overnight, let them into the big cage with no toys in the morning,put a hammock in at lunchtime, added a toy that evening.The put another few toys in the next day and hammocks and a sputnik the day after-harmony reigns and I have a pile of rats in the sputnik every day :)

4. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

hmm this looks like it'll bè well difficult. How can i do this? I dont have any space to put another cage next to this one so they can see each other but cant reach. Plus dont want to put one party in the big cage just to have to try and make it neutral again when they go in together. Lol my brain is frazzled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice