Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rat!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Akai-Chan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Well I finally got him... A few weeks ago some of you might have seen a rat called Suit advertised in rehoming... Well I picked him up the other day and boy did I get a shock!

(Just for clarity this post is no insult to SpringerHusky who delivered him to me)

For a start I was quite worried as the lady I picked him up off said the owner she was dleivering him for didn't feed him rat food and that he ate what she ate... Also that he was going bald on his back. I got him home and wasn't much impressed. the shirt he was bedded in was covered in pee, which is what is to be expected. However, at the bottom of the box he was in was what looked like the chemically packaging stuff found to stuff sofas and for packaging boxes. Threw that away as soon as I got him back.

Checked out the baldness on his back and was a bit concerned at some sort of infestation. Took him to the vets and she confirmed a pretty bad mite infestation, prescribed insecticide powder and to give him a bath in insecticidal shampoo until his fur started growing back. She also listened to his lungs and confirmed respiratory infection, for which he is on Baytril. She agreed with me that he is massively overweight (He actually has 2 spare tyres) and looked at the diet I intend to feed him and OK'ed it.

Other than that, he is a lovely rat. Really good temperament wise, happy to be handled and come out when I open up the cage. Seems to be ok with the rat food I have him on (though he overturned his bowl in protest on the first night when he smelt my fish and chips :p)

Last things last, photos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Fianlly compared to Boyrat (not very good pics, they kept wriggling! Boyrat on right)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peace
    Akai-Chan

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

He is very cute but I think he has eaten a football:D. What colour is he?

3. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

He's blue husky as far as I can tell, dumbo too :D He;s mega cute but makes the room shake a bit when he jumps down from his cage... I love him to bits already :D

Peace
    Akai-Chan

4. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

ohh everyone keeps posting pics of rats making me want one even more :crying:

he is a lovelllyy colour though!!

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

he is gorgeous and has landed on his feet with you, hes so lovely :) he is a big boy but it would take two of him to make 1 Bobby, I'm having trouble getting his weight down now he's with the others, I may have to separate him again to get his weight down, but I don't really want to do it but its not healthy for him to carry all that extra weight around, any ideas on another way to do it?

6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Possibly separate him at feed time? Separate him for an hour or 2 at feeding time when the others feed and only give him a small quantity of food? Not sure if separating would be a good idea as the other's might not accept him when he comes back if you separate them for a long time.

What I'm doing with Suit is giving him half a bowl of food every few days (once he's finished the whole bowl) and giving him free run of my room for a couple of hours every day to give him lots of exercise.

What diet are you feeding Bobby? Feel free to PM me if you wanna brain storm ideas for it :p

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

awww what a gorgeous colour, :)

8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

What a cutie :D

9. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

awwww hes cute

10. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

He's lovely, well done for rehoming him and giving him a better life.

11. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Oh god, I knew he was a mess but never realized he was that bad, sorry to hear that he was in such a mess.

It's no wonder he was fat...he lived on takeaway chicken allot and whatever else she could feed him. She wasn't a "bad" owner I think she just didn't know how to care for him properly but I'm pleased he's doing well with ya and much better off.

Still keeping his name though? ;)

Plus it likely didn't help he almost never lived in a cage and often had free range to the bottom floor of her house, so explains the mites.

12. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Atleast he is in brilliant hands now!!
    Hope your ok Red, speak to you soon

Chloe x

13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

@SpringerHusky: It's not your fault :) I'm not saying he wasn;t loved, just not properly cared for. At least now he can have a good diet and be properly cared for and yeah I'm going to keep his name :) Did you ask your friend about the shelves?

Thanks everyone :) he is lovely. Hoping to introduce him to Boyrat when he's a bit smaller... Wish me luck!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

#13 Akai-Chan, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice