Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rat owner questions!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by V1nny, Oct 3, 2018.

1. V1nny

V1nny PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone,

I got 2 boys yesterday from a breeder so they're already fairly inquisitive! A few questions though thanks in advance!

1. They seem to be fighting a bit, it never lasts longer than a fwe seconds and a few squeaks, is this normal play or sorting out dominance? They're brothers so have lived with eachother their entire lives anyway, just with 6 more boys before yesterday!

2. Should I be spot cleaning in the first few days or leave them to settle? They're still a bit wary about me and I don't want to stress them out more than they are already!

3. How long should I attempt before bonding? Obviously I'll have to pop them in their carrier to do a full clean at the end off the week anyway, is that an acceptable time?

Thanks again!
    Joe

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Oh 2 ratties lucky you.
    As to the fighting/playing the rule is no blood no foul I think. My lot used to roll about wrestling but when I tried to intro an older boy to my young group the old lad was NOT playing and you could tell.
    I'd leave them to settle for a bit.
    I never fed mine treats through the bars of the cage as it can lead to nipping. How I started out was putting some yummy food on a teaspoon and putting that in the cage in my hand they ate the food and just started to sniff my hand and it went on from there. Once you can pick them up I would pop them inside your sweater and let them have a sniff and a climb on you. Yes they will pee on you so just accept it and have a shower after:eek:

You have such a lot of fun to look forward to. Do you know about GMR which leads to GMC:Playful

3. Shianne Jones

Shianne Jones PetForums Newbie

I didnt wait as long as i should before trying to bond i used ro get them out and just put them on my bed for 10 mins give them a food bowl and somewhere wo hid and now my boys are so happy to see me and happy when iget them out for cuddles and play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice