Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Ragdoll Kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lauren Blogs, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Lauren Blogs

Lauren Blogs PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I need some advice please!

I’ve just brought home my gorgeous new 10 week old ragdoll. She was brought from a breeder by a family but sadly the daughter was allergic so me and my parents rescued her.

For the first five days she used the litter tray with no issues and then we added some scented tray liners and we are pretty sure it’s after that she started peeing on my bed and pooing in our living room once, tried to twice.

We pulled our sofas out and there were some marks which could of been her from Sunday or perhaps before.

The first night and onwards we put her food, litter tray (away from each other) and bed in my en-suite. She seemed to be okay with this?

She is eating and drinking fine, sleeping, playing! Doesn’t seem unhappy at all. Purring away, cleaning herself and us...

Any advice is welcome. She does have a vet appointment on Monday but we want to try resolve this ASAP of course

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Lauren Blogs and welcome :)

She looks very pretty, but quite small. Is she definitely 10 weeks ?

I am not sure why you added scented tray liners? Cats should not have anything scented in their litter trays. The trays should smell of the cat, nothing else.

Also it is best not to use any liners, as some cats don't like the feel of them on their paws, and also can get their claws caught in them while burying their deposits.

Which make of litter are you providing?

It is best to provide her with 2 trays, as cats like to pee in one tray and poo in another, though which tray they use for which purpose will vary from day to day. Open trays are better for cats than covered trays.

Feed her a wet food diet so that she is getting plenty of fluids in her diet. This will encourage her to pee more often, with a more dilute urine, so less risk of feline cystitis. Wet food high in meat protein keeps the urine acidic as it should be and will be more comfortable for her when she pees.

Is she pooing in the tray OK?

It is possible she is scent marking by peeing away from the tray. She has been through a lot of upheaval in her short life, your home being her 3rd home since she was born. She may feel anxious and confused by so many changes, not just change of environment but change of humans. Luckily she has found a permanent home with you. :)

You would be better confining her to one good sized room with her food, water, litter trays, toys, beds etc, for a week or more so she can mentally process all the changes she has been through lately. Choose a room where you can spend lots of time keeping her company and playing with her. if possible a room without soft furnishings, but if one of the bedrooms is best, then protect the bed with an old shower curtain or ground sheet for now. With a fleece on top. Don't re-introduce her to the rest of the house until she is peeing and pooing in both litter trays every time.

cava14 una likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice