Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Ragdoll kitten yowling and crying constantly

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Darcy1234, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Darcy1234

Darcy1234 PetForums Newbie

Thanks. That’s really useful.

Yes I have a cat carrier.

I feel bad now about I potentially inadvertently supported a BYB. I really thought I had done my research which taught me things like best age and make sure mum and dad are present etc. Very frustrating.

ewelsh likes this.
  2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Have you thought of getting another kitten as a companion for yours? Might be a good idea, especially if your kitten will be alone a lot in the day, maybe from a rescue rather than buying.

ewelsh likes this.
  3. Darcy1234

Darcy1234 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone.

Out of interest, how do you know if someone is a registered breeder and not a BYB? Particularly with Ragdolls?

ewelsh likes this.
  4. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Don't beat yourself up, it happens to the best of us. The main thing to focus on now is getting your kitten checked out and then building her confidence and happiness, what have you decided to call her or did I miss that?

Stay on here, the advice and support is second to none and remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question, believe me I asked loads when I first got my two rascals x

ewelsh likes this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Breeders who register their kittens or who claim to, can be the the same or similar to backyard breeders as there is no oversight.

In general you should look to rehoming from around 12/13 weeks as they should have their vaccinations completed. Treated for worms and fleas. Often now they are sterilized before rehoming but not a given.
    Generally you want to see the mother and the father if present but many breeders use studs that are not their own as keeping a stud is not easy.
    Sometimes breeders may bring in a kitten or kittens that have actually been kept in pens outdoors or other areas not around humans and pretend they have been raised in the home 'underfoot'.
    In some ways it is a gamble and you are going on trust in that what you have been told is true.
    Look for a healthy kitten that is social which is a good indicator they have been raised around humans.

It is a shock for a kitten to leave their mother and siblings and be on their own. Many rescues rehome in pairs for this reason.

Gallifreyangirl and ewelsh like this.
  6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

As @Tawny75 says, don’t beat your self up over it, you didn’t know, but now you do! :)

I WAS in the know about byb yet I went to a farm to buy ducks and saw cages upon cages of cats and kittens all for sale, plus every other animal you could imagine around the farm.
    I saw this tiny cream kitten curled up in a ball in a very bad way - I knew I should have walked away, but what did I do? I paid for this kitten and 8 yrs down the line having very large Vets bills I would do it all over again! She is the love of my life.

Also this byb thing is all about education, so now you can spread the word.

Anyway moving forward because that’s your only choice now, what is her name? Most importantly how did last nights cuddle go? :)

7. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Pardon?

8. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Good luck with her and keep us updated. Don't feel bad as we all have to learn about BYB and unfortunately there are scrupulous people out there.

Summercat and ewelsh like this.
  9. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I think they mean that being registered is no guarantee that the kittens come from what WE could call a 'good' breeder, as the registries don't actually do any checking up. So a registered breeder occasionally CAN be little more than a BYB who just happens to do the paperwork.

Gallifreyangirl, Summercat and ewelsh like this.
  10. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I very much hope that is what was meant

11. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I think it is pretty obvious what I said @Rufus15

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  12. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

This forum is associated with Pets4 Homes so its no wonder people get confused

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  13. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I think the issue is with Pets4Homes itself, its advice is not the best

14. Lavellan

Lavellan PetForums Junior

If it helps at all, my little ragdoll guy was very nervous too the first few days, he wouldn't eat at all the first day and cried constantly. Poor thing missed what he was used to and didn't like the change.

But soon enough, he settled in, and now he's a lovely floppy boy who only cries when he's forgotten how to use the catflap and can't get in the room for cuddles. <3

All cats are different, and most take time to get used to new things!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice