Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Rabbit - so excited!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I have an 18 month neutered male being delivered tomorrow night!! His name is William. He's a lop. The poor lady is so distraught about giving him up. She has two dogs and one of them got quite ill and she has to spend a lot of time with it. She said she doesn't have the time she wants to spend with William. The lady sounds so lovely. She is bringing William here tomorrow night and is bring all his toys, food and treats. Oh and an indoor cage. He spends summer out and winter inside.

He is very friendly and is sweet natured and spoilt rotten. I tried to reassure that lady that he would be just as spoilt living here and that he would be taken very good care of. I told her she could come by anytime to be sure he is OK.

The great thing is that she knows I am going to introduce William to Pickles. She has said that if it doesn't work out - that she would take William back. Unfortunately - Pickles is not due to be spayed for another two weeks. So I will have to keep them apart - I think? I am not sure how it would be with one fixed and the other not. I think I will put on the in the hutch - while another in the run - they can see each other a sniff. I am new to introducing rabbits - so any advice - please do give any
    Jacqui

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

If he is neutered then I would think that they would be ok to meet now. Have you got somewhere that Pickles hasnt been where you can introduce them? You can at least start off by seeing how it goes there and then once she is neutered you can get to the proper bonding process, she will need time for her stitches to come out etc...

*Heidi*

3. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Thanks Heidi,
    I was thinking about my bedroom or the kitchen. Pickles used to come into the living room. But I have not brought her in for a few weeks as she is just so terrified when I bring her in. Hopefully once the two of them meet - an also - hopefully when they become friends, Pickles will be more confident in the house.
    I know that giving them both a bath may help to make the bonding process easier - I don't think Pickles would be able to deal with a bath. She just doesn't seem to like being handled at all. I'll see how it goes.
    Jacqui

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I think you should wait until she is spayed, if they fight its harder to try and bond them again. I say start off with the least risk, just my opinion though, he sounds lovely, good luck hun x

5. hazyreality

I have to say I just put mine together, no bath, just tried and both times it has gone great, sometimes it just works like that, other times I guess there can be problems, I think the trick is to not worry too much. With the most recent meet, Gypsy was hitting Rascals head but he wasnt reacting and she just got bored and left him alone then! They are best friends now, more so than he is with Marley who just left him alone from the start. I think its up to you if you do it before or after. Both times I have bonded the females havent been spayed, and its all gone ok, but then if you are having her done anyway. Have you got somewhere to keep him seperate from her until she is well again?

*Heidi*

6. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Heidi,
    Wuzzle's owner gave me his indoor house. I really need to get him outside to the bigger hutch and the run. I will see what happens when the two of them see each other through the bars.

7. hazyreality

what I ment was if he was outside, would he have to be in her house or run(with her in the other) or can he be seperate? I guessed you had somewhere for him generally - sorry didnt make myself that clear :p

Hope everything goes ok when they meet through the bars :p

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice