UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thought I would say hi on the rabbit board (have been on the cat board already).

We are the new owners (on Monday) of a chocolate brown mini lop, he is 11 weeks old. Our girls have named him Cocoa

Just wondering what are the best vegetables to try him with first, and what age should he be before I try them.

Kathryn

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Welcome to Bunnyworld!

For now, while bun settles, I would keep him on exactly the same diet as he was on previously, then make all changes gradually.

THE most important part of a rabbit's diet is hay, hay, hay - lots of it, and some fresh daily.

With that, bunny needs a small amount of pellets - a make like Science Selective is best. Avoid Excel - it contains animal products and can upset bunny tums. Baby bunny tums are vulnerable at the best of times.

Then you can gradually introduce small amounts of fresh, one at a time.

I would not give carrot at all for now, and only in small treat amounts for an adult bun. It is full of sugar. Organic carrot tops are OK though.

Avoid gassy greens - bloat is a very nasty, potentially fatal condition in buns.

Then read the sticky on safe foods.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. He is on Science Selective Junior, it's what the pet shop where feeding them so I got the same one.

At what age can we start giving them additional veg, treats etc

·
Registered
940 Posts
I agree with Summersky about food. Loads of hay (you can even get different types of hay like timothy, meadow, readigrass, herbal forages etc) and a few pellets and greens.

Make sure his enclosure is big enough! We recommend at least 6x2x2ft hutch permanatly attached to a 6x4x2ft run. Or if he's indoors, the same square foot of space. Any smaller than this will not allow him to run and binky.

Also consider neutering him when he is old enough. It prevents nasty habits and will allow him to live with a friend (they are very sociable animals.)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks for the reply. He is on Science Selective Junior, it's what the pet shop where feeding them so I got the same one.

At what age can we start giving them additional veg, treats etc
Veg can be slowly introduced from 12 weeks. :) xx

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I would leave it until he is at least 12 weeks before you introduce veg at all, wouldnt hurt to leave it a little longer even. Ask the shop if he has had any veg before and you can continue feeding what he has had in small quantities without too much fear of bloat.
I would avoid cabbage - its very gassy, and avoid lettuce aswell.

Small ammounts of spring greens, kale, carrot, parsnip, broccoli and cauliflower can be introduced, I always make a point of leaving a "rest day" between them so I can see if any are causing upsets :)

Science Selective is a good food and you will do well by him to keep him on that :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I will keep him on the same pellets as they are easy to get from the garden centre where we bought the rabbit.

I will add some of the greens to my shopping over the next few weeks (he will be 12 weeks on Monday) and try him with them.

At the moment he is in a what I would call a normal hutch in the garage. Is it ok for him to go outside or is it too cold

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
He will still only have his baby fur, and it also depends on where he was living (in/out/shed/house) before you got him, so I would be careful..

On a sunny, mild day, it should be OK for him to have a run about, but when it is bitterly cold and windy, I would keep him where he is used to. Bunnies don't cope all that well with big temperature changes.

As he is living by himself, unless you spend most of your time in the garage, he is likely to get very lonely. He will need lots of varied toys (boxes stuffed with hay and a few treats, loo roll tubes, big boxes to jump in/on, etc) to keep him occupied. Is there any way you can link an run or space to run about in, to his hutch in the garage, so he can exercise when he wants to - bunnies are crepuscupar -ie most active at dusk and dawn.

Bunnies are great pets - I hope you enjoy getting to know your new friend!

·
Registered
940 Posts
As he is living by himself, unless you spend most of your time in the garage, he is likely to get very lonely. He will need lots of varied toys (boxes stuffed with hay and a few treats, loo roll tubes, big boxes to jump in/on, etc) to keep him occupied.
He would also LOVE to have a friend when he is old enough to be neutered. :yesnod:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.