Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smegs1978, Jul 22, 2009.

1. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I am after some advice.

We have just brought home a puppy from the RSPCA, they think he is about 8weeks old, but have no idea what breed. His name is Barney.

I have read lots of internet sites and a couple of books on puppy's and we have decided to crate him at night.

We have a small back porch between the kitchen and the downstairs toilet and have placed the open crate in there with some paper on the floor and then made a sort of stair gate out of trellis so he only has that space to roam in,

He whined for the last 15 mins and now it has gone quiet so i assume he is asleep.

Am i ok to leave the crate open so he can to the toilet in the night or should i be closing the door and just letting him out when he wants to go to the loo? I am just worried if i do that i won't hear him when i go to bed.

We have 2 cats, the older one doesn't seem to bothered by him, however the younger 8 month old kitten has been hissing and spitting everytime he comes near, she has now scarpered in to one of the bedrooms and we haven't seen her since. Barney starts barking with a wagging tail every time he sees the cats. do you think this will change?

Thanks in advance and sorrt for the long post.

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would close the crate and get up a couple of times a night to take him out. Otherwise you end up encouraging him to go to the toilet in the house. Put him on a schedule say 3am and 5am so he doesn't have to hold it.

3. Closing the crate at night will definatly help with the toilet training otherwise your pup will go outside the crate to pee and poop. By allowing this it would take longer to house train your puppy. just set the alarm a couple of times in the night so you can let your puppy do its business out in the garden then back to the crate.

When we first got Holly we had our cats and the cats would hiss and spit at her. 3 of them finally excepted her but they still hiss at her occasionally. Our other cat Missy however still hates Holly and will even attack her with her claws if Holly gets too close. Holly has now learnt to stay away from Missy. as long as there is distance between the two they are ok in the same room. Unfortunatly i cant see Missy ever being friends with Holly but they tolerate each other to a certain extent. Your 8 month kitten may be fine with it in time but may not also. but should be able to find a way to tolerate each other

4. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

def keep the crate closed...i have a 18 week old lab puppy and we only closed her in there at night....believe me you will hear you new puppy when he calls to go for a wee. My puppy loves her crate. I was advised at the start to make it so comfy etc so they love going in it. I put her favourite toy in there and I was also told to feed her in there ( dont feed her in there now)...just so the puppy knows its a great place to be. That way they should settle inside it with no problems. I did find having a blanket over the crate helped no end. We cover our pup up completely at night but leave a flap open during the day so its like a den for her.......hope this helps xxx

5. smegs1978

Thanks all for the replies, i am going to try closing the crate tonight to see how he gets on.

Thanks for the reply regarding the cats, the older cat Jay doesn't seem to bothered now, he even stayed in the living room with Barney However Mollie is still very wary, but at least she came down for breakfast today.

With regards to toilet training, we are taking him once an hour outside, and say wee wee so he knows he needs to go to the loo, however so far hasn't done anything outside. Is this the best thing to do?

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yes take him out every hour, after every meal, after play time and before and after bed. Wait out there until he goes and then praise and reward like crazy.

7. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

That's just what we are doing with our puppy. Seems to be working so far. As for the crate, I would close the door at night and put a blanket over the crate to keep it dark and secure for him.

Do you have a piccy of your new pup?

8. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Aren't puppies just brilliant. :D Our pup Bentley has taken over our lives and I just wish we had got him years ago. I'm so glad I found this forum as I have had loads of useful advice. I did not realise for one second how complicated having a pup would be (and how nerve wracking!)

It makes me feel better that other new owners are starting out with the same questions I had! We have had Bentley for 3 months now and he loves his crate. We also have a play pen attached to it so he can stretch his legs when we aren't there. It is actually a problem getting him out of it in the morning although I think that's just the bulldog in him! He does seem to like it covered over like a little den and he often seeks out other places in the house which are covered over to sleep under.

With regards to letting him out for a wee, we just ended up like robots, going out with him over and over again - he is now totally clean apart from the odd accident and totally knows the word wee wee's. Trust me, if you put the puppy first for a couple of months and stick with it, they start to understand exactly what to do! (Fingers crossed for you)

9. smegs1978

He did his first wee in the garden this afternoon:), i didn't think he was going to stop weeing, he obviously has a big bladder. When he has weed in the house they have just been small puddles.

We are using a liquid odour remover to cover up the wee, i bought it from pets at home yesterday and it is nearly gone. Is there anything cheaper i can use. At this rate it is going to cost me £35 a week just on that.

The RSPCA told us Barney was a SBT cross, however i am not sure. His ears look like he might have some staff in him. They should be a pic of him in my signiture, what do you think?

10. smegs1978

Can't seem to get a picture.

11. smegs1978

Yes, managed it.

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

If you dont correct him nothing will change:)

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

It would be cheaper to use a solution of biological washing powder like Daz or Surf in some hot water than buying the stuff from pets at home and works just as well because it completely removes the smell.

14. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Regarding getting up to him to taking him out in the night, I've always let puppy's let ME know when they want to go out. What is the point in getting up and waking him up at 3am if he was quite happy asleep?? He'll only get used to waking up at 3am...

My 15 week old puppy has slept through the night right from day one (from 10 weeks). Oh, thats a lie, there was one morning at 4am when he woke up but that was my neighbours fault for having an argument outside the house at 4am!

15. smegs1978

Well i tried the crate in our bedroom last night, i tried closing it down stairs but he howled and cried for 15 mins. So we took the crate upstairs, closed the crate door, he cried to start off with but settled down and fell sleep about 10pm and i woke up at 6am to find him sitting in the crate waiting for me.

I was so pleased with him, he didn't wake up once in night i don't think.

16. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

We had problems with Ted howling a lot at night so we moved the crate to the bedroom and now (about 3 weeks later) we have finally managed to move it back to the kitchen - very gradually, a couple of inches a night. He would cry and cry and go to the toilet every night until we moved him nearer us. He then slept right through without toileting (except occasionally) as he was reassured he wasn't alone as he could see and hear us. Now he is able to sleep quietly alone all night.

If he woke in the night and made a lot of noise I would quickly pop him outside and then take him back to his crate and he would re-settle. This has decreased a lot now he is slightly older.

Some just take longer to settle than others - good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice