Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

New Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Madgey, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Madgey

Madgey PetForums Newbie

I have had my Cavachon 17 week old puppy for over 3 weeks. He has done really well going outdoors to the toilet and on puppy pads but he has just had a wee on my rug even though he has been outside for 20 minutes! Any ideas welcome pls, feel like I’m going backwards rather forwards!

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

It's normal to take a few steps back so dont panic.
    Personally I would ditch the puppy pads - dogs often find them confusing. Is it ok to go indoors or not?
    Clean the rug with a biological washing powder solution.
    Take pup outside every time they wake, stop playing, have a drink, eat etc.
    Stay in the garden with your pup - be calm and quiet - when he toilets say a word such as "go pee" and soon pup will learn that command means time for toilet.
    If pup doesn't go take him back indoors no play no fuss no fun wait a minute and straight back out to repeat.
    When pup goes reward big time, treat, praise, fuss, play !!!

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Dog ownership in a nutshell
    plan-1ujpsx1.jpg

4. Madgey

Madgey PetForums Newbie

5. Madgey

Madgey PetForums Newbie

Thank you for that, feel much better

Fleur likes this.
  6. Madgey

Madgey PetForums Newbie

Omg he’s just urinated in my house a further 3 times and he’s been outside. I’m loosing the will to live

7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I found taking my pups out on a lead and walking them round until they went to the toilet best, they only got to run about and play after they had taken care of their business, and my female cavachon wasn't fully trained until she was 7months old, and even now at 4 years old I not sure I entirely trust her :D Just make sure you had a large supply of Simple Solution and stockpile the kitchen roll to deal with the clean up.

Boxer123, DaisyBluebell and Sairy like this.
  8. Madgey

Madgey PetForums Newbie

Thanks

9. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Member

Could he possibly be a little unsettled due to the fireworks at the moment,?

Happy Paws likes this.
  10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My boy was clean in the house much quicker, but I believe Bichon Frise can be notoriously hard to house train so I hope he takes after the Cavalier in the bladder department for you.

Sairy likes this.
  11. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Junior

My EBT girl,kept weeing on my rug,in the end had to throe it,when telling my friend who breeds Frenchies she asked what type of rug it was,when I told her it was the type with long strands she explained youngsters can get confused and think the long strands are grass,

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

More likely it's because dogs prefer to 'go' on absorbent materials. Dogs don't measure the length of strands, and grass has a completely different smell and texture. And is outdoors.

13. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Junior

Maybe not,but it worked for me she hasn't wet on the rug I relaced it with,but them again bullys are very clownlike;)

14. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Emma is now 18 months old & was house trained within 1 week & a couple if days but we were 100% vigilant with her from day one, she was taken outside carried but with her lead on & put down on the grass almost every hour during the day & if we noticed any sort of different behavior with her & every hour and a half at night to start with (she slept in our room so I was conscious of her all the time). Even now if we want her to go and pee quickly for whatever reason we take her out on the lead and say 'be quick' & she goes, if she was not on the lead she would just wonder around doing her own thing. Yes we were extreme with her toileting but that's how all my other dogs learnt quickly & what works you continue with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice