Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

New puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Plutodoodle, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Plutodoodle

Plutodoodle PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    Complete beginner here!
    Our new first gen labradoodle puppy is coming home in 2 weeks.
    I've been madly researching everything but am not sure what to do at night time.
    DH doesn't want puppy in the bedroom so we've got a medium crate with loads of comfy stuff inside which will open into a large playpen.
    Our bedroom is a long way from the puppys sleeping area so we won't hear any crying. I'm concerned about what is best in case he needs a wee in the night. Should be shut the crate and hope for the best or leave the crate open so he can get out and wee on the paper/mats? Or should I set an alarm and take him out then? If so when and how often?

Thanks, first of many questions I'm sure!

Xx

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Unless your bedroom is in a completely different street.... Do not underestimate the noise levels of a distressed puppy!!

Its generally not recommended to leave a pup to cry anyways. Everything is changing all at once for them; taken away from mother and siblings and everything they've ever known in life, then taken away to a brand new place with brand new people and brand new smells... And expected to settle and sleep all alone for the first time without issue.

Some pups adjust quickly, others do not. Sleeping next to pup and gradually moving either you or him away is probably going to be easier for everyone.

Also with toilets; you cant expect a tiny 8(?) week old puppy to last the night any more than you would a baby. Definitely set an alarm, expect to get up at least a couple of times during the night to begin with, and say goodbye to lie ins :)
    I personally found it easier to just go straight outside, rather than faff around and confuse things with puppy pads

fernlady, O2.0, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  3. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome...

When we had Dillon I had his crate in the living room and I slept on the sofa for about 2 weeks, so if he cried I could just talk to him until he settled and it was easier to put him out every 3 hours to toilet. Remember he is only a baby and will be missing his Mother and siblings so he'll need to comforting during the night, make sure he has a soft toy to cuddle up to.

tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Plutodoodle

Thanks very much for the information.

There is so much conflicting information out there about whether to leave puppy to cry or to comfort him at night. I'm just completely bewildered! I want to comfort him but I don't want to make a rod for my own back by allowing him to think he gets attention if he crys!

At the moment he sleeps in a small room with Mum and siblings with paper to pee on. No crate, just a big soft mat. So the crate will be new.

Should I leave the door open on the first night so he can get out into his playpen?

How often should I get up to let him pee, is every 3 hours enough. Should I wake him up if he's asleep?

Thanks xx

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You won’t make a rod for your own back but make the huge upheaval of leaving mum and siblings less stressful for the pup.

Gradually you can wean the pup off you a bit but he will naturally become more confident and independent as he settles and grows.

If the first experience in the new home is being left to cry for hours on their own in the dark then that is more likely to create issues tbh.

If a child is scared of the dark I wouldn’t turn the light off, shut the door, wear ear plugs and let them cry it out ;)

picaresque, fernlady, JoanneF and 3 others like this.
  6. Plutodoodle

I wouldn't turn the light off and leave him crying in the dark! I'm not a monster!

I know all about separation anxieties and what it's like to lose everything. We adopted our son when he was 11 months old and went through everything with him. I slept on a mattress in his room for 3 months! But...this is a puppy, not a child!

I didn't want to get into the whole emotional side of things I just wanted some answers to some questions!

Maybe this isn't the right place.

Thanks for your help x

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

What better place for pet questions than a pet forum though?
    Dogs aren't children (and shouldn't be treated exactly as such), but still have feelings and emotions :)

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I had my pups (not at the same time; there's 5 years between them!) In a closed crate on my bedroom floor (OUR bedroom floor though hubby shipped out as he doesn't do night time disturbances!)

Neither of my pups was at all fazed by having the crate door closed. I used wire crates and just sectioned it off so the pup had a tiny area. I covered the top and sides with a sheet. I put some treats into a puppy kong and put primula on top.

And a blanket in that smelt of mum from the breeder. And i did ignore minor whines, just saying ssh ssh. If it started to escalate, then i took the pup out quietly, carried it straight to the garden. And i think i was pretty lucky, usually they did wee or poo or both.

Then i popped them back to the crate and lights off. And a ssh sound. They got the hang of settling so fast.

With my older dog -he never ever messed the crate ever so i didn't wake him. I waited for him to wake me.

With my younger one - i could have kicked myself. One night i woke to her barking but she had already wet in the crate.

That really set her back because she then started weeing first in the crate with no warning - and then barking to let me know she had done it. So i set an alarm clock to wake me every 2 hours right through the night til i had sorted it.

I followed ian dunbar's methods of using the crate to toilet train. They really suited my rigid personality but i think they would be too rigid for many. It does work (well it did for both my pups!)

with my older dog, he never ever had an accident in the house.

Tilly wasn't quite as good as she spent her early life in an outdoor shed (not puppy farm, a good breeder who had a shed in her garden) so she was used to piddling wherever.

She had a few accidents on the carpet but she was well over 90% there within 48 hours too.

I will post the links to the books i used which are available for free download. I think a criticism of them is that the developmental deadlines scare some owners and cause pressure and stress but these books suited me and i didn't really have any bother in the house with either of my pups.

Plenty outside but that's another story!
    https://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Best of luck for when your pup comes home!

Blitz likes this.
  9. Plutodoodle

Thank you tabelmabel for answering my questions.
    That is very helpful
    Xx

tabelmabel likes this.
  10. Brigg

Brigg PetForums Junior

Hi Kirsty I have an 11 week old pup he sleeps in a crate in my bedroom he cried for a short time at first but soon settled down when he whines in the night I put him out in the garden and he does his toilet at first it was 4 times a night now at 11 weeks its down to 3 times so he is improving it is hard work and waking hours he does all the naughty and delightful things all puppies do .I am assured by some very helpful people on this site that things do get better. Good luck with your pup they are a joy .

11. JF1981

JF1981 PetForums Junior

Hi,

We got our labradoodle puppy seven weeks ago. He is now 15 weeks old. You’re in for a big adventure! It’s great and very hard work at times!

We didn’t want to have him in our room either. We have never allowed our dogs upstairs. At the same time, I wanted him to feel secure in his new surroundings. For the first 8or9 nights, I slept in the same room as him on the sofa, with him in his crate with the door closed. If he cried in the night, I was there to take him out. Some nights I had to sit beside his crate to reassure him for a while but I never let him out when he whinged. For the next few nights after that I slept downstairs but in another room so I could still hear him but he was getting used to me not being there all the time. In less than two weeks, we had a happy, content puppy who would happily go into his crate at bedtime and stay there all night. He has only had one or two accidents in the last five weeks.

The other advice I would give you is to feed the puppy in their crate too. This makes a good association with the crate and makes them want to go into it.

Can’t wait to see photos and hope you enjoy your new fur baby xx

Plutodoodle likes this.
  12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Feeding the puppy in the crate is a good idea. Just wanted to add just because you have a pup in the bedroom in the early days and weeks doesn't mean it has to be forever.

Mine stayed up with me til the age of 13 wks. Then she was dry and clean all night. I simply moved her crate into the new area downstairs and no problem.

I don't know if the fact i cover it with a sheet at night helps but we have had her in a caravan and travelodge too and she settles anywhere in the crate at night.

My dogs don't get to go on furniture or upstairs unless needing a quick shower.

They understood the new rule very fast.

Plutodoodle likes this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I didn’t say you would but you obviously see the point I was making.

Pups aren’t human babies no, but they experience fear, loneliness, anxiety too and need comfort and reassurance in the early days away from mum, siblings and everything they have ever known.

There are numerous threads on here of owners desperate to remedy their dog’s severe anxieties and behavioural issues, which had they got the right advice in the beginning they might have avoided.

I do hope you stick around as there are lots of knowledgeable people on the forum who are always willing to help with keeping animals happy and healthy and their owners sane.

14. Plutodoodle

Yes Lurcherlad I am well aware of that.
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original post.
    I was saying that my bedroom is far away from my puppys bed because I am worried that I won't hear him crying and cause unnecessary stress.
    I was looking for a solution to help everyone, as I said my husband doesn't want the puppy in our bedroom.
    I have never intended to leave the puppy crying, I was only looking for advice on when it's general whining which should be ignored or when it's genuine distress or a need to go to the loo. Sorry if I did not explain myself.
    Luckily many people on here have now answered my questions and I feel better prepared. Thank you everyone.
    I am going to rig up my son's baby monitor so I can hear when my puppy is distressed and run to his aid. I will be leaving a light on and purchasing a microwavable warm thing..sorry don't know the proper name..and a ticking clock. There will also be a blanket with Mums scent on for him.
    I am fully expecting sleepless nights and early mornings, my son gets me up at 5am anyway!

Thanks again

15. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Is there a reason you husband does not want the pup in the bedroom what I used to do what put the crate in the bedroom for a little while then gradually move it outside the bedroom door and then further away until it is downstairs puppy will cry and need to wee every couple of hours more or less it will be a strange new place for the puppy just leaving his mum and siblings some pups settle some don't

Lurcherlad likes this.
  16. Plutodoodle

Thanks shirleystarr,
    My husband has spoken to a few people with dogs and has read a few books. All of them say to not have the puppy in our bedroom. We have one friend who did have their puppy in their bedroom and they regret it. They said it took over a month to get him to be happy in his crate and if they could do it again they would have put him in the kitchen.
    I may sleep on the sofa the first night and see how it goes although my husband isnt keen on this either.
    I'm sure we'll work something out

Thanks x

17. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I followed the advice on here and had pup in bedroom with me and slowly moved him further away. He now sleeps downstairs no problem at all. It did take over a month but that is normal. I'm pretty sure some of the others pups were still unsettled at nights in the kitchen after a month.

I think your hubby is reading the wrong books but I'd guess it's going to be hard to convince him of that.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  18. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I still think it would be better if you sleep on the sofa with him if you not having him in the bedroom, he really needs company to know you are there for the first few weeks, as he is in a strange place and sleeping on his own this can be very frightening of a puppy.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your puppy :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums Senior

i was a devil and started as I meant to go on. Saying that I did go down every 2 hours to let bonnie out when she was a pup (also a labradoodle). As a lot of people here have done she was also crated with it being sectioned down to fit her so she couldnt pee in one corner and sleep in the other.

Now it has all gone to pot and at 2 and a half she is sleeping in our room next to me and jumps up when the alarm goes off for a cuddle

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice