Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kazza1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kazza1

Kazza1 PetForums Newbie

Hiya

We have a Siberian Husky who is now 12 weeks old. She is beginning to settle into a routine with a few exceptions.
    No matter what she will still nip, I tell sharply not to, and she gives that look like santas little helper from the simpsons :smilewinkgrin: and goes straight back to nipping, also trying to get her to sleep on her own at night is near on impossible. Within two days she worked out how to almost get over the baby gate.

She is a playful little rascal, but it all takes time

2. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

When we first got AJ we left a piece of our clothing with him at night to snuggle up with and he soon got used to it! xx

3. yohan

yohan PetForums Junior

You could give the little fella something so he/she could stop to nip.. :)

4. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella is a 12 week old Lab x and I used to leave a cardigan of mine in her crate and she would snuggle up and settle.
    She bites too, very frustating and annoying I know, but I keep on being assured that they will grow out of...the sooner the better, I don't know if my hands, feet or clothes can put up with it much longer!

Have you tried putting treats in cardboard boxes, toilet roll tubes etc? I have even filled a bottle with water and peirced holes in it, she loves to throw that round the garden to get the water out....she prefers these to all her shop bought toys (of course she will need to be supervised when playing with anything like this) And rawhide chews are a life saver - she will happily chew one of these for an hour.

Good luck, I am sure she is testing your patience like Bella is mine!

5. Kazza1

Kazza1 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the info.

We tried leaving her toys in the sleep area, but we think she is afraid of the dark. We have noticed that she hesitates when it is dark before she goes out into the garden and when we take her for her last walk.
    We did keep the light on and the tv but still having to sleep near her at night. I know she will eventually grow out of it.

I will try the bottle and water as she tries to drink that as I water the plants in the evening.
    Not too sure about the toilet roll tubes, as we were told they were not good for sibe if they eat it, but still may give her a try while we can keep eye on her.

When she tries to nip I give her a toy to chew, (she has loads) but is so full of energy that she bounds across the floor like tigger and jumps up ready to nip and play. (my throat, hands and arms look like road maps) :lol:

6. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I know the feeling, I am sure people thing I am self-harming!

7. Kazza1

Kazza1 PetForums Newbie

Another 2 little tricks she has just decided to start are running to and fro from the garden to living room then making a detour and jumping on your lap at the kitchen table while we are eating our meal.
    Last night I made her spend time out in the garden until we had finished, and also climbing up and drinking tea from our cups!!!
    She is determined I'll give her that.

Slowly getting her to walk in the dark, except the other night some idiot decided to let off fireworks. :mad:
    Poor little thing nearly had heart failure. We shouted at them and the fireworks stopped. She now looks at the house in question before she passes it. These people make me sooo mad

8. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Poor baby! Bella is terrified of traffic and the other day some idots drove past shouting and beeping for no reason - didn't help Bella's nerves! I just carried on walking and didn't make a big deal out of it but we certainly took two step back that day! :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice