Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

New puppy with runny poop

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Heb38, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Heb38

Heb38 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    We have just brought home (Saturday) an 8 week old puppy who was in a barn with 7 brothers and sisters and mum. The evening after getting here she stared having loose stools, have progressively got worse and now it’s a water constancy. The vet, on Monday recommended chicken and rice until the stools firm but it’s now Thursday and there is no improvement, if anything it seems worse... any ideas? Stress or diet related, he was in wet food and my husband then decided to put him on good quality dry food.. just wondering how long to expect this to last.. he is still eating and drinking and very right and alert. Thanks in advance

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If he was previously on wet food and your Husband decided to switch him to dry, that was a mistake.

Any change of food has to be done gradually in such a baby.

I would feed him a small amount of fish or chicken, with a little mashed potato, at least four times a day. Don't give him anything else, other than water.

When pups are brought to their new homes, it can be stressful and cause upset tums, but a dramatic change of food on top of that would cause such symptoms in most puppies.

Has he been wormed regularly before you brought him home?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Heb38

Heb38 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice, he’s been on chicken since Monday, will try adding mash. The previous owners said he had been wormed.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I wouldn't necessarily take it as gospel that he has been wormed.

You need to worm him now, with a medication prescribed by your Vet, and worm him every month until he's six months of age.

I would feed him fish, rather than chicken, or Chappie Original, an old fashioned food but often really good for this type of problem.

rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Stress and anxiety from leaving mum and siblings will contribute so lots of cuddles and keeping him close, especially at night will help him settle.

6. Heb38

Heb38 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for this, sooner he’s better the sooner he can be house trained.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Also, it's worth getting some Pro-Kolin paste, or Canikur - they contain binders and can help get the gut bacteria restored. I'd never be without a tube in my doggy first aid kit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice