Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy with bad wind!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rubynoodles, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Rubynoodles

Rubynoodles PetForums Junior

We picked up our new 16 week old puppy yesterday.

We think he is a jack russell/border terrier cross (will post pic later & ask if you think he is!) the owner was apparently selling him for her friend. Anyhow he looked like he neded a good home so we took him.

I know its early days and he is settling in (although he is full of beans and really friendly) but he has the most awful wind and is stinking the house out:D

The lady gave us some James Wellbeloved puppy dry food as she said thats what he had been eating.

Im wondering if its this food as ive googled and alot of people are saying it gives their dogs bad wind too.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

When i got my puppy she was on james wellbeloved too and also had quite bad wind which smelt terrible. Since changing food she very rarely has wind. Not sure if it is connected but could be.

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Novak was on JWB puppy and had god awful wind too.

Switched to Arden grange and it was sorted. But they've just changed recipes do don't know how they are now.

I'd try a grain free. Simpsons do a grain free food that was fantastic when Novak couldn't keep anything else down. Grain free. High meat content and about £35 a sack.

Sensitive - Grain Free

Don't worry about adult/puppy food. It's IMHO a gimick to charge more. Years ago there was no such thing. And if you compare ingredients they're basically identical.

Just be sure to swap food gradually whatever food you go with.

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Offer the pup some probiotic yoghurt and that should balance out the bacteria in the gut and watch also for the pup gulping food as this could cause wind too.

5. Rubynoodles

Rubynoodles PetForums Junior

Thanks all I will change his food see if there is any improvement.

I keep reading about live yogurt but wondered if dairy was suitable for animals (up to now i've always had cats and was always told not to give them diary) are dogs more tolerant to diary?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice