Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy vaccinations

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rosepinkfluff, Jul 25, 2009.

1. rosepinkfluff

rosepinkfluff PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help answer my question about a new puppy I'm getting and the vaccinations he needs.

I'm collecting him at the start of September and he will have just turned 9 weeks old. He's a home cross breed from two rescue dogs the owner has said he will be up to date with worming but that I will have to organise the vaccinations- which is fine- and I will take him to my vet on the day I collect him to get him started.

My question is my boyfriend is also getting a new puppy (beagle) at the same time, (we haven't found the one we want yet) will it be ok to mix the new dogs even though mine won't have had his vaccinations yet?

We obviously don't know about the vaccination status of my boyfriends dog as we've not chosen him yet- is there a rule I should work by here like - would it be ok if we take them both on the first day we get them straight to get vaccinated? or we should make sure we only get a beagle pup that has already started his vaccinations and will that keep my pup safe until his vaccination takes effect? I don't know what to do :confused:- please help, we don't want our new puppies to get poorly from each other!

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

do you live together? i personally wouldn't recommend two puppies at the same time for a while as the beagle will need a lot of attention and focussed training. I know all puppies require training but from experience our beagle puppy has benfitted from clear 1 on 1 training with us and we are now looking to get him a companion. I know someone on here had two young puppies together and was stuggling - no idea reference the jabs but certainly for practical reasons you are best off getting one and then the other later welcome by the way xx

3. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

I would ring a vets surgery and ask them, at least you know you will be getting accurate info then. sorry I can't be more help!

4. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I certainly would not get the puppy vaccinated on the first day you have it.

Take it home, give it a few days then visit the vet and about a week later have the first jabs.

Providing both puppies are coming from homes where all the dogs are vaccinated then there shouldn't be a problem, but worth ringing the vets first.

It is not usually recommended getting two young puppies at the same time, better to let one settle and concentrate on it before you get the next when the first is about 12 months old

5. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

regarding the vaccinations, young pups do have some level of immunity from the mums, so if the parents are healthy and vaccinations up to date, then it shouldnt be a prob with the pups - but as said in previous posts, i would have a chat with your vets so they can explain everything to you properly.

Not sure if you both live together, but if so, from recent experience, as we currently have a 16 wk old pup, I really would say she is a handful and I dont know if I could cope with 2 at a time :eek: - plus unless you have a LOT of time to spare, it would be hard to give them pups the attention they need, as it is always important to give young pups one on one time (especially when there are two to keep each other company) so that they bond with you, not just each other.

Is this your first puppy? If so, I would really suggest you think carefully about whether you really want 2. A beagle especially can be quite difficult as a pup (from experience of family with them).

finally, I would suggest getting your pup home and settled for at least a couple of days before taking your pup to the vets, as it could be a bit traumatic for such young pups after having been taken away from mum and siblings etc and you dont want them to have any bad feelings about going to the vets

good luck!!

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice