Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new puppy questions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lizzywills, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Lizzywills

Lizzywills PetForums Newbie

Hi.
    This is my first question, I've just joined the forum. We are looking at getting a puppy and I know sadly there are unscrupulous people out there. I want to make sure I don't fall for anyone dodgy and get a happy, healthy puppy. I know some questions I need to ask, like making sure I see the puppy with mum, not taking the puppy until at least 8 weeks. But how do I know who to buy from? And are they any questions that are a must ask? We are looking at a cross between a Maltese and a shih tzu (I know some people don't care for cross breeds but we have researched this part of it and are happy with the choice) I'm still researching to make sure we do everything right and am not planning to get a puppy until the summer. Thanks for any advice.

2. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

You need to be aware that the breeder should have had the parents health tested for problems relevant to each breed.
    As you are looking for a cross there will not be a breed club to approach and people breeding crosses are often jumping on the bandwagon of current fashion.

There is sticky topic on the forum about unscrupulous breederst that you could read.

Don'the forget the coat is likely to need a lot of care.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome......

just remember that you never know what your puppy is going to be like, and that what ever health problems each breed has that a puppy could get both breed problems, so large vet bills could lie a head.

At least getting a predigree you have a better idea of any problems a puppy could have, but if check that the breeder has had all right health checks before you buy, you should have a happy health dog..

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

The problem with crossbreeds is that it is very hard to find an ethically bred one. Most are bred because it's fashionable at the moment and in some cases the owners can actually make more money.

Maltese and Shih Tzus are small white fluffy companion breeds that probably have similar care, temperament and grooming needs; I'm not sure what improves either breed by crossing them together? You would likely have much more success looking for a reputable breeder of either breed than you would a cross of the two.

5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Sadly, the very breeders you are rightfully keen to avoid are those who are breeding a Maltese/Shih Tzu cross.

As @labradrk pointed out you'd have far more luck finding a reputable breeder of either a Maltese or a Shih Tzu, and the mixing of the two breeds adds nothing new in terms of personality/coat care etc etc.

6. Lizzywills

7. Lizzywills

Hi. Thanks for your replies. Having been reading I was under the impression that a mix breed was less likely to have hereditary illnesses. Have I got this wrong? Also I was looking for a small dog that didn't mind its own company when I'm out, although I will get someone in to walk it if I'm going to be long. The Maltese said it suffered from severe anxiety at being left. It really is a minefield of information out there. I'm not sure what to do now as I don't want to be lining the pockets of someone who doesn't really care for the dogs welfare.

8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Hi, yes you have got this wrong :) however I don't blame you, as it's a myth that's perpetrated everywhere and is a false selling point of many crossbreeds. Many breeds suffer from the same health problems, especially those that are similar in type, so only double up on health problems when crossed.

If you read up on a lot of breeds it will say "don't like being left alone" or "prone to separation anxiety". I don't like this, nor do I think it presents an accurate picture, because most dogs if given the choice don't 'like' being left alone. However, you CAN train/acclimatise any dog to be left alone happily. It takes time, patience, and should be done gradually, but it's perfectly and easily doable; the reality is that most people will have to leave their dogs at some point during the day due to work etc. My dogs practically push me out of the door when they know I'm going to work as it means the goodies (I leave them with food toys/chews etc) are forthcoming!

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you want a mongrel try the rescues first.

The "quality" will probably be the same as people crossing breeds often don't do health checks, etc. but you won't be paying through the nose or lining the pockets of a byb either.

Plus rescues usually off some future backup, if needed.

McKenzie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice