Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy question

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Zlouise10, May 13, 2019.

1. Zlouise10

Zlouise10 PetForums Newbie

Hi there

We got a new Male puppy today, he is 8 weeks old and gorgeous.

We already have a female adult (2 years old)

She has been displaying some behaviours and just wanted advice on where it is a good sign or not.

She has been constantly in at the puppies genital area. I know its normal for dogs to do this when they meet but it has been the whole day, mostly when she is in play mode. I am wondering if this is a motherly behaviour (i.e cleaning) or if it is more a sexual exploration sort of thing?

I have also noticed when playing/getting tired she has almost been trying to pick up the pup with her mouth (very gently) again, almost a motherly thing? I dont think it is aggresive in any way.

We did a lot of research before hand and they seem to be getting on well, just want to ensure any "bad" behaviour is nipped in the bud.

Thank you!

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :) I don’t think either of these behaviours are ‘mothering’ and should really be discouraged.

What breeds are your older dog and the pup?

The sniffing of your pups genitals is most likely because he smells unusual to her. Don’t let her do it constantly, you need to distract or remove her. It’s not fair on the pup and this sort of obsessive behaviour isn’t good for her either.

Definitely don’t let her pick him up in her mouth. If you can see that things are headed this way you need to intervene. Again, it’s not fair on the pup. What happens when he gets bigger and decides he doesn’t like this?

Do you have systems in place (crates, baby gates) which mean both dogs have a safe area away fro the other, and that you can separate them when required?

lullabydream likes this.
  3. Zlouise10

Zlouise10 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. We have been discouraging it so glad that's the right thing to do. Was just worried in case i was interupting some sort of bonding behaviour.

Yes, both dogs have completley seperate areas for feeding and sleeping. We spend quality time with both seperatly and then together as a family as well. Just want to make sure this process goes as smoothly as possible

Thank you again!
    Zoe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice