Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy - proving hard!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessica, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Jessica

Jessica PetForums Newbie

Hello

I have just joined and need some help!

Me and my partner have recently got a new puppy, we brought him home at 8 weeks and he is now 10 weeks old.

He is an interesting cross bread - mum was a collie and dad was an English Bull Terrier!

He is a fantastic little chap but we are experiencing a few problems with his behaviour.

We have managed to get a handle on the toilet training and he will go outside to do his business, we have had a few accident but is this not too bad as he is still young?

Also he is teething really bad but was also biting, this has calmed down a lot but it still does happen from time to time - we are saying no and sometimes it works and other times he still goes back for more!

He has been scruffed by the neck and put outside but when he comes back inside he will sometimes shake himself off and do it again!

He sleeps in the kitchen area of our home has to be physically put in his bed at night where he will stay but we are having major problems with him waking up extremley early starting with a whine then into a full on bark! Obvously we have been told to leave him but how can we stop this as our neighbours are on the brink of compliaining?

He has not been able to go out for walks as yet as he has only had one set of injections so could this be teh reason for his behaviour?

One more thing - he is howing no signs of listening to us, we are practicing commands like 'in your bed' 'stay' or even coming when you call his name!

Please help as he is lovely chap and we just want to do right by him

Jess

2. garryd

garryd Guest

the stubborn resilience is the bull terrier in him :)and its somthing you will just have to get used to! he will get better but if he is more a bull terrier than a collie then hes allways gonna be his own man to a degree !:) its just how bull terriers are ! some people hate them for this other people love them for it ! like me as i have 4 of them!:D he will be ok in the end trust me and have Patience!;)

3. garryd

garryd Guest

you also gotta be very firm with him ,what his hearing like !???? have you had him tested ! some bull terriers suffer from deafness! but its most likely his bully ways thats making you frustrated!;)

4. Jessica

Jessica PetForums Newbie

Some things he seems to be picking up like the toilet training but others he wont have any of it!

The thing we are trying to do is to get him to go to his bed and stay, but he sits there for a second and then gets off, and we go round and round with this for about an hour, we are rewarding him for it - do you think he'll ever get it?

What about the whining that turns into barking in the early hours? how do we stop that. Its confusing as you are supossed to leave them but when the whining turns into a full on bark do we go and tell him off??

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

The reason for his behaviour is because he's a puppy,he's showing Normal puppy behaviour.
    With the waking early in the morning & barking he may very well want to relieve himself.So you could try getting up and taking him out instead of ignoring him.
    When mine were pups we took them upstairs in their crates so I could hear them during the night and take them out and then settle them back down.

As for the biting,excluding him isn't really the answer,you need to teach bite inhibition.This link may help, Bitestop

Also you can get Kongs which most dogs love fill it with yummy fillings and put in the freezer for a few hours,it will help with sore gums.
    Consistancy is the key,Good Luck

6. garryd

garryd Guest

Well the whining Jessica is him just being a puppy ! Bull-terriers usually ain't one of the best behaved dogs in the first place and usually just do there own thing ! this settles after a while but they can be unruly ! If you wanted a really well behaved robot type dog that listens to your ever command then you should have just got the collie:( The bull terrier in him will be very hard work some times and other times really funny ! just get you head around that and i promass you will be fine ;)

7. garryd

garryd Guest

Yeah kongs are good ,the hard ones realy worked for some of my dogs !

8. garryd

garryd Guest

Jessica would love to see a pic of him just to see what he looks like ! very intrested :)

9. Jessica

Jessica PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have no problem with going in and letting him out etc.. i was just worried that we could be 'giving' into him - its all evry confusing!

Also do you think he will sleep longer when he has been out for walks on an evening?

He gets his second lot of jabs Monday so he can go for the longest walk ever!

We are so happy with him, he is great characture.

We have been taking him to 'puupy class' and he is so funny when there, but is not very good at the walking or heel etc.. but do you think that its because he has nto actually been out for a walk yet?

I will look into getting him one of these Kongs i keep seeing mentioned.

My partners dad used to breed English Bull terriers so he knows what they can be like.

We have got patience with and do not want to give up on him just like to hear that it will get better.

Attached Files:

10. garryd

garryd Guest

Things will be fine ! he looks a nice little dog ! look after him!

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

You not giving in,dogs are dogs and don't think the way humans do.
    Don't over excercise your puppy,he will not need lots of long walks at his young age,you can do damage to joints.
    I think the rule is 5 mins per month so at 3 months he will need 15 mins out onlead.You can do other things to stimulate him like playtime in the garden,training basic commands sit, down,stay etc.......

You say he has been to puppy classes,this is unwise when he hasn't had his full course of vaccs.

12. Jessica

Jessica PetForums Newbie

You say he has been to puppy classes,this is unwise when he hasn't had his full course of vaccs.

We checked with the lady doing the classes and she said it was ok as he has had one injection and been wormed.

Also you have to produce your dogs vacination card to prove they are all ok and this has been done by all others attending the class.

13. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It's a very big risk,as they are not fully protected,they can still pick up diseases.Not a Chance I would like to take.

14. Jessica

Jessica PetForums Newbie

We are new to all this and could only take the advice of some one who has had dogs etc for a while, hence why we asked the lady who does the classes if it was ok and she said it was.

He has been fine and is going for his booster ones on Monday.

Its his behaiour that we are getting a bit confused about but replies on here have been most helpfull

15. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

You will find that everyone has different views on different things.
    Glad you found the other posts helpful :)

16. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Awww hes a sweetie - hes still only a very young pup - liken him to a baby of that age - then you will see that hes doing really well already - He cannot learn everything at once - but slowly he will - give him time - the whining early morning I would go down and take him out into the garden see if he wants to have a wee - then settle him back down for a while - but like babies he may not want to go back to sleep - you have to fit in with this for a while - as Sally has rightly said - dont be taking him on long walks just yet, 10 weeks is still very young - he will tire easily and long walks at this stage will damage his bones. Little and often is the key with pups - always reward good behaviour with his favourite treat. I also agree that until his full vacs have been given he shouldnt really be going to classes - you said hes not allowed out on walks due to this - other dogs and humans will pick up germs themselves when out and about and could pass them onto him at the classes.
    Hes a stunning little man who will I am sure pick things up over time - like Garry has said and you already know the Bull in him will test you but the collie in him will steady that out ( Hopefully ) LOL
    Dont run before you can walk!! :)

17. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Play biting is Normal behaviour for a puppy and scruffing him will teach him only that you are unpredictably aggressive to him when he plays with you. Time out is the best method for this.

Remember to keep things calm and quiet so he doesn't get too wound up and overwrought, as he is just like an over excited toddler.

Another puppy would yelp and stop playing with him, and his Mum would growl or air snap, ans also stop playing.

This article and procedure will help you to understand and control this. The Bite Stops Here

Also waking up early probably means he needs to toilet and you should get up and take him outside, stay with him until eh goes and praise. When it is sleep time do not talk or play with him, as he will try to get you to interact with him. It should be toilet and back to bed. If you are boring and don't interact with him at these times (except to praise for going), then eh will learn that eh must go back to sleep.

At this young age you may have to get up twice. I wouldn't expect him to be able to last more than 4 to 6 hours.

18. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Hi jessica, you need to lower your expectations and relax a little, you are so desperate to get things right, you are putting so much pressure on your self and your beautiful little pup, he is only 10 weeks old.As far as not responding to his name, he's only just starting to learn it, lots of pups don't know their names till they are a little older. I'm sure you will do fine with him, just give it a bit of time.

19. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

I'm sure your puppy will give you years of pleasure as he grows up - however you have got a very strange cross - here's a bit of info for you about each one. Remember your puppy is made up of both so may take good and bad points from either breed. Collies can be highly strung and need mentally stimulating from a young age as boredom can lead to destructive behaviour. Similarly with EBT - they need training and stimulation from a young age as they can be very obstinate.

Welcome to the Bull Terrier Club UK

Southern Border Collie Club/

I have to agree that I wouldnt have risked my puppy before all the jabs were done - the dogs that are in the puppy class may be immune but they can be carriers. But I guess its too late to dwell on that - I have to commend you for wanting to go training - so many people dont and get slated for that too so well done you for finding a class so soon.
    Like the previous poster I'd say relax too - your puppy is to be enjoyed ya know!!! Spend time getting to know each other - dont be afraid to be firm - but most of all be consistant. If you dont want him on the furniture - then mean it - every time.
    Teaching him his name is fairly simple. Have a hand full of treats and say his name - as soon as he looks at you - treat him - keep practising and he'll soon get the hang of it. You must remember though not to use his name to tell him off. If you catch him doing something wrong its so tempting to shout his name as an admonishment - but all you succeed in doing is make him ignore you. If he's doing something wrong use the ah ah!!
    I use the NILIF method of training - Nothing In Life Is Free - to get a reward he has to do something to merit it - and a reward can be a treat, stroke, belly rub - whatever
    The most important thing though - HAVE SOME FUN!!!

20. Brainless

Brainless Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice