Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy old dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HannahVB17, Apr 23, 2020.

1. HannahVB17

HannahVB17 PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

I am writing this thread as I wanted some advice.

I bought a new puppy as I was supposed to be moving out of my mums house into my own house in may. The puppy will be ready in a couple of weeks and due to corona virus my house is not ready to move into yet. Due to this my golden retriever puppy will have to temporarily live at my mums house with my mums 13 year old Cavalier!

I just want some advice as to how I can ensure that both dogs are happy and what I can do to ensure that my mums sleepy old Cav isn’t too upset/ disturbed by the whole temporary process.

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you so much to anyone that takes time to help me,

Hannah X

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Male sure the old dog gets plenty of attention so there's no jealousy.
    Introduce them slowly and gently.
    Use a crate. And have puppy be in there.
    Never leave them unsupervised. (Unless in crate).

Also if you have a large garden put them both on leads. Walk back and forth leaving a gap between the two dogs. Gradually get closer and watch the older dogs reaction. Make sure you're not gripping the leads too tight as this can give them the wrong impression. (I'm unsure and you should be too. More likely to get a reactive result). Do that a couple of times and if everything seems ok let them on a longer lead but still keep an eye. Finally, let ONE off the lead. I'd recommend that you keep a hold of the pup and let the adult off.

Also think how the older dog reacts to other dogs on walks. Do they show aggression or are they happy and relaxed during meetings

HannahVB17 likes this.
  3. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

There's a ten year age gap between my old lady and the next oldest. Old lady is now thirteen and loves my 3 year old
    She just about tolerates the one year old though. We introduced them slowly. Lots of praise and treats for old lady and for puppy for being gentle. They do find a level but old lady's patience is not what it was and as such she spends much of her time with my recently widowed nan as they are good company for each other and it's peaceful (no dogs or kids)

HannahVB17, LinznMilly and Engel98 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice