Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by StaceyMac, May 20, 2021.

1. StaceyMac

StaceyMac PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

I have a 9 week old French Bulldog that we brought home on Tuesday.
    Tuesday and Wednesday he ate all his food (breeder gave full bag of kibble and instructions how much water to mix with and when), went to the toilet everything seemed fine, though his poop was soft. He had a good look a round, settled himself in, though would not leave my side at all. All normal, I think.

However, today.. He has barely eaten. Gave him his food this morning, he ate about half. Hasn't touched anything since. I introduced treats yesterday but only gave a couple, he doesn't even want those today. He's drinking water but won't touch the puppy milk.
    I made scrambled egg (vet recommended) and hand fed him about 2 tbsp worth but then he wasn't interested.

About an hour ago he started heaving/gagging (there's a proper word for this but I can't think what it is) and brought up some clear liquid.

I've spoken to the vet who doesn't deem it an emergency right now so doesn't want me to bring him in as they're only seeing emergency/life saving appointments due to coronavirus. And suggested I see how he goes over night.

When I spoke to the breeder earlier she said it could be anxiety etc over moving home and it's just all overwhelming for him.

Is this a common thing for puppies when they've been rehomed? Do you have any suggestions of things I could do to help him?

It's been about 12 years since we last had a puppy and I don't remember any of the early days, I don't know if this is normal or how long I should let it go on for. I rang 3 vets (my usual one and 2 random) and they all basically said the same, and they're all not seeing anyone unless emergency. Even though they've all said the same things I'm stick panicking!

2. Seriously? Life has more or less gone back to normal in terms of “retail”.

3. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

How is he today? My puppy didn't eat properly for couple of days, I hand fed him wet dog food few times a day. I believe its normal. It's a massive upheaval for a puppy to leave mum and siblings behind, it's strange to eat alone, different bowl, smells, people. I think he's vomiting was "hunger pukes". I don't want to tell you not to worry because I'm far from experienced (this is my first dog ever) but if he has no other symptoms he's probably just settling in. I never gave my pup puppy milk. Also, my vets are working pretty much as usual other than not being able to go inside with your pet x

StaceyMac and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

For a start I would change your vet, they must be the only one in the UK that is not working normally (assuming you are in the UK). I would not consider it normal if he was eating ok initially and I would definitely insist on a vets appointment. How does he seem in himself. Is he quieter than he was when he first came home, if so make sure your appointment is today. If he is bright then tomorrow would be ok if there is no improvement.

Torin. likes this.
  5. I agree. There is something very odd about a vet using “coronavirus” as an excuse when half the county is vaccinated, infections are rock bottom, all retail is open and we are a few weeks away from total opening up. It’s very bizarre.

Blitz likes this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Unless they are in Bolton!

7. StaceyMac

Thank you for all of your responses!

He's much better this morning, I made his food up as usual though I halved the amount as I didn't want to overwhelm his stomach and he ate it all, had a decent drink then went to the door to be let out for his business.

When hes awake he's really nosey, wants to see everything and be involved in everything, chases the kids whenever they move. He was the same yesterday but maybe a bit more subdued. Today he's running around until he literally can't stay awake anymore

I'm in Birmingham UK, I thought the vet thing was strange too that's why I rang others, but when they all said the same I figured it must be the norm, but today I'll look into different vets in the area, I was in a bit of a blind panic yesterday.

Hopefully he was just overwhelmed with everything, I can't imagine it's a nice experience really. I've told the kids to just leave him be, don't constantly mither him just to let him come to them if he wants to and to calm down around him for a while, obviously they were just going about their lives as normal I think that might have shocked him a bit.
    Will keep an eye on him today and obviously if there's any change will call the vet again... A different one!

Thank you again for your help ❤️

Blitz and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Make sure he has a quiet, secluded place to settle and snooze and ensure the kids know to leave him alone if he’s relaxing or sleeping.

If necessary, a pen or baby gates to create an area.

9. StaceyMac

Thank you! We've set up a crate in the dining room, I can still see him but it's a nice quiet room and we rarely use it. I think they're excitement the first day must've overwhelmed him they're 10 and 7 though so understand now I've given them a proper talking to haha

Is there like a pinned thread of new puppy tips or tricks I can refer to, as I'll probably end up with loads of questions! I've had dogs all my life but it's all such a worry when they're so small!

I've given him his second meal and he wolfed it down again, I gave him about half again as I'm worried he'll eat too much and then get poorly.. Is that best or should I just go back to his full meal?

He's had a little play and then taken himself off for a nap, I forgot how much puppies sleep!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

There’s the Puppy Support Thread in Dog Chat section, which should have some of the answers to the many questions you might have and lots of shared experiences with other puppy owners ;)

StaceyMac likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It sounds like he was a bit overwhelmed and maybe feeling a bit off colour. Brilliant that he is feeling better and eating again. They are such a worry but a small puppy can go downhill so fast you dont want to mess around. Very odd vets you have. Our vets still dont allow you in with your dog but apart from that they are open as normal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice