Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy kennelling

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rocco clough, May 6, 2017.

1. Rocco clough

Rocco clough PetForums Newbie

Just after some advice.
    We get our new puppy in 6 weeks it will be 8 weeks old, it's a French bulldog. We go holiday 6 weeks after that for a week and need to kennel our dog for a week. The breeder offered to have the pup for the week but I'm a bit unsure as it's mother would be there and I don't know if this will be a problem for my dog? I.e if it reattaches itself to its mum and would be like starting over again will we return? Or would it be better to let it stay with our relatives or a separate kennel?
    Thanks for any advice

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It would be far better for the puppy to go back to the breeder for a week. The puppy would be fine. I'd definitely not put a 14 week old puppy in a kennel.

BlueJay, Sairy and mrs phas like this.
  3. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

It would be better for the dog to stay with the breeder. Someone who knows the pup and you know will look after it.

Sairy and mrs phas like this.
  4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Agree, much better for the puppy to return to the breeder for that week. Won't be an issue. Pups don't care that much about mum at that age anyway, they're more interested in littermates :)
    And a good sign that the breeder is willing to offer this.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I wouldn't kennel such a young puppy.
    There would be no issues with pup staying at the breeders whilst you are away - obviously they will be used to puppies and young dogs and knowledgable about the breed.

6. Rocco clough

Rocco clough PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice. Ideally we wanted to get a puppy after we'd been away, but it's just happened this way and I've been able to book a couple of weeks off work for when we get him. Just didn't want to upset the dog if we sent him back the breeder where his mother is, then take him back after a week.

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I have had puppies come to me while the new owner has been on holiday and I had 1 family who left their pup with us untill they came back he was 14 weeks before he went to his new family and never suffered from any problems because of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice