Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Michelle666, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

Ok, i picked up my puppy yesterday. Last night however was a nightmare. From 11pm - 6.30am she howled, barked and whimpered for most of it. I think we had an hour sleep!!!

We never went down, or called down.

Admittedly yesetrday she did spend the 3 hour car journey home mostly asleep, n when she got in she was a sleep for an hour or two.

Is there anything I could do to make her sleep at night without the crying???

2. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

All puppies take time to settle as its proberly the first time hes been away from litter mates and mum so it will take time,whenever we have had a young pup in the house we have always let it sleep in the ceate in our room the first few nights and then moved it to the kitchen,also a teddy or something in there bed or maybe a clock(like the old type that tick) wrapped in something,i also find that if your wanting to housetrain quickly then sometimes a few night time loo trips are needed as a very young pup cant hold it as long, if you do go down dont make a fuss of him/her and just put it in the toilet place,cant really be much of a help and im sure someone else will be along soon with a better idea but thats just what we do.
    how old is your pup?

3. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

When we had puppies we just used to leave them at night as you have (in the kitchen with newspaper for toilet)and after the first couple of nights the whimpering would stop. It can help to put some of your clothing in the bed. The puppy is just adjusting to your routine it just takes a little time!

Hang in there!

4. Michelle666

Yeah, I may leave her with a t-shirt tonight over a teddy.

We're not crate training her as she will be a very big dog, and would like to let her have some freedom within the house during the day etc.

Going to try and keep her up today, and play with her before bed to wear her out!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you have anything with her mothers scent? I doubt right now your scent would comfort her, as she doesnt really know you, and doesnt associate you with anything nice in her life.

The first few days will always be the worst. Once you get into a routine, she will settle much better.

It is advisable to do an early hours toilet session, as puppies of this age have no control over their bladder, and struggle to hold their bowels. This will help immensely with toilet training.

6. Michelle666

Mum went back outside when they were 6 weeks. So shes fairly used to being without her, she was with 2 of her sisters though.

She definatly knows us well as she wont leave out feet. Shes not bad on the toilet side. Shes going in the garden, and last night she went for wee on her puppy pad.

7. Bryn's Mum

Bryn's Mum PetForums Newbie

You can't keep a puppy awake they need to play,eat and sleep, pups will play then fall asleep and it's important to let them. I take all pups up to bed with me to give them the reasurance that they are not alone, it helps build the bond between you and you can move them downstairs later on.
    I even do this with the pups i foster if they are on their own and not with any litter mates, i either use a crate or make a bed on the floor by me so that i can reach the pup to offer resurance,good luck for tonight.

8. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

As Oscar is only 17wks and Suki 13wks I have been through this twice recently LOL.

Oscar was really good in that he only cried for the first few nights and settled really well, he was dry at night within 3 weeks too so had just got life back to normal when I decided to get him a friend. Suki took longer to settle. She cried so much at night that I ended up sleeping on the sofa in the family room (where they spend their nights) for the first week or so. Its only been the last week that she has stopped needing to go out at 3am because she refused to use the puppy pads at night. My life is now returning to normal, well as normal as a house full of teenagers and puppies can be!

Just bear with it, it will get better :thumbup:

9. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

A crate isn't a cage, if you so wish you can leave the door open. In fact if you have a crate the puppy is more likely to relax, as it will see it as a safe haven.
    NEVER go down to the puppy and make a fuss of it, we made that mistake once and heis still crying at age 11 if left alone. Just let the pup cry and it will stop soon.
    What sort of dog is she?

10. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Pups been taken away from everything that's familiar to it so you should expect some whimpering/crying etc, it needs time to settle, explore its new home and find its place within its new family.....it needs to regain its feeling of safety and security....just be patient it doesnt usually last more than a few days if you dont give in to it :D

Congratulations by the way;)

11. Michelle666

Yeah we're not going to be giving in. Going to try a teddy tonight. I wont be crate training, and definatly wont be having her sleeping in my bed. Oh and keeping her up all day was a joke, at least if she has a nap, we can too!

Thanks all for advice...all will be well enough soon.

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi, hope you get on better tonight, i know you say you dont want her sleeping on your bed, but could she still not come in the bedroom and have her bed in there. My dog comes in the room, but does not sleep on bed with me. Has his own bed at the bottom of mine.

13. Michelle666

I dont really want her upstairs. Shes a large breed dog and they can develope hip problems, which can be brought on by stairs. I dont want to run the risk of her assuming its ok to go up stairs. So it would be best not too full stop. We have a reasonable size house, so there is plently of room downstairs.

14. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi how is your new pup settling now, sorry i just noticed what breed she is and yes can understand why you wouldnt want her coming upstairs.:)

15. Michelle666

progress is being made. Last night she slept from 10.30pm - 5am when my OH had to get up for work. The she went back to sleep until 6.30am when I got up. She did a little wee in the night, but on her Puppy pad. Today is the first day that Im at work too. OH will be home soon. It pains me to leave her, but we've been practising the last few days, and the neighbour will pop in.

Am just glad everyone got some sleep last night!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice