Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy...HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by carlysmomma, Jan 3, 2012.

1. carlysmomma

carlysmomma PetForums Newbie

I have a 7 week old puppy. I know...I really shouldn't have had her until 8-10 weeks, she was a rescue.

At what point or age is it okay to leave her home alone? I could probably get a neighbor to let her out midday, she sleeps a lot of course (under my desk has been sleeping since 8am and it's a little past 11 now). I have been looking into pet sitters and such and unsure how long I will need one.

2. Hertsgirl

Hertsgirl PetForums Senior

You really shouldn't even think about leaving a puppy so young alone yet. She hasn't left her mother & litter very long ago so she needs company and to get to know you, your house etc, I wouldn't advise it for a while.

3. carlysmomma

carlysmomma PetForums Newbie

What is the appropriate age to leave a puppy?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

For how long and how often?

5. IndyGoJones

IndyGoJones PetForums Member

We've got a 6 month old puppy and the rescue centre advised no more than 2-3 hours per day!

6. Bullymastiff

Bullymastiff PetForums Member

I started straight away with very short spells, just literally going to put bins out etc for a couple minutes, so she didnt get too much of a shock when we did leave her for longer. then build it up gradually the time your gone. but 7 weeks is too young to be alone all day, you really need someone in with them until they are toilet trained etc

7. Lady.turbo.wrx

Lady.turbo.wrx PetForums Member

I left my 8 week old puppy for 20 mins twice a day to do school run (By car) but left the radio on..all other times there was someone home

from around 12 weeks,he could manage an hour or so,left with toys etc

Zeus is 10 months now,and can leave him around 4-5 hours ie food shopping day :thumbup1:

Your puppy like a baby,will need you to be there for some time yet,as they get bored & lonely too :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice