Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new puppy gets travel sick!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dizzyb75, Aug 17, 2009.

1. dizzyb75

dizzyb75 PetForums Newbie

we went and picked up our new german shepherd x last wednesday, we collected him in our car had to drive a good 45 mins to get him home, to settle him i put him on my knee and he nestled into me and he was more than happy no accidents JOY!, however after a few days we have now bought a new car to accomodate him, yesterday afternoon we decided to take puppy our for a family outing, he pooed and was sick everywhere, on the way and the way back, cleaned it up and put it down to a funny tummy, took him out again today same thing happened, HELP WHAT SHALL I DO?

2. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

give the wee one time to settle in ;) has pooch had any jabs yet/recently? try just putting pooch in the car n not going anywhere so they get used to the car 1st b4 movement & dont feed anytime near to going out.carnt think of anything else that might help.im sure some1 else will be along .all the best xxx

3. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hiya
    some pups do take an awful long time to get used to travelling most settle but some just neverget over the travel sickness.
    Dont feed him if you know you are going to be taking him in the car - give im a very small light meal a few hours before you have any travel plans.
    There are medications that can relieve travel sickness - Dorwest do have a herbal medication that you can use so checkout their website and also a drug called Cerenia - which can only be prescribed by your vet can also be prescribed for travel sickness - obviously you dont want to use these every time you have to travel but if you are having to gp on longjourneys itdoes help - even just getting him used to the car without going anywhere can help to.:)

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Yes I used to put puppy in the back seat and sit with her for a while then take her out, then i used to dot he same thing but this time with the engine running. Then again and this time drive to the top of street and back. do it slowly. I never feed before taking our dog out, I put her out for pee (10 mins in the garden). Old sheet over back seat and put harness on so she isnt rocking back and forth too much. She sleeps all the time in the car now, no problems. Some take longer than others. some cant travel at all. good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice