Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

New puppy eye concerns

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by James Loudoun, Nov 8, 2018.

1. James Loudoun

James Loudoun PetForums Newbie

F104A4A2-29EB-4374-8C65-05A0CBE25EAB.jpeg hi guys -

We have put a deposit down a lovely toy cavapoo that we’ll be picking up early December. Met her and she’s very sweet but just have a question about her eyes. I’ve read of a few eye concerns with this bread.

Just wondering if we should be alarmed at the wetness under her eyes? Is that a sign of a health concern or is it completely normal for a puppy? Please see the attached photo.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is not normal for a pup to have runny eyes.

I would be wary.

What does her Breeder say about it?

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

With a cav cross I would also be wary of heart problems and syringomyelia. Lovely little dogs but not worth the risk imo - breeders that test the parents for these and not breed them on seem rarer than hens teeth.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's not normal, no. But in Cavvies there's a quite common condition where the tear ducts are too narrow or not formed properly, so the wet patches occur when the tears drain onto the face instead of into the ducts. It can be fixed usually, with surgery.
    But the far more serious health problems in Cavaliers - mentioned above in the other posts - are what should be your main concern. No decent breeder would do all the tests, get clear results and then breed the dog with a poodle.
    I'd also avoid a breeder who puts a puppy in a pot of snacks, assuming they took the photo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice