Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy diagnosed with pneumonia and potentially distemper?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rorothedodo, Jun 29, 2019.

1. rorothedodo

rorothedodo PetForums Newbie

My friend just got a new German Shepherd puppy from a place called Chews a Puppy. He mentioned to me how the dog has always had an aloof/shy temperament and wasn't really being very sociable to most people(excluding him, apparently). The place said the dog was up to date on vaccines, and his owner was given his "pedigree". According to my friend, though, his dog has had a runny nose since he obtained him, and has only gotten worse since then, showing symptoms almost identical to what a dog would exhibit from the distemper virus. Just today, he was diagnosed with pneumonia and is currently being tested for distemper.

As of right now, he is very confused on the course of action he should take with the dog, since it isn't unlikely he might have distemper(plus he doesn't have a lot of money to treat the dog, and is currently hosting a GoFundMe). This would also mean that if he does have it, we weren't given the full facts on the dog. My friend gave me the pedigree he was given, and the breeder's name happens to be David Stoltzfus. According to Google, the name Stoltzfus is very common amongst puppy mills in Lancaster, PA. I want to ask if anyone happens to know about this breeder and his credentials, because more lives of dogs might be at risk like my friend's dog, and we are considering holding the company accountable for the vet hospital fees.

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking at their website I have no doubts this is a puppy mill, page after page of mostly terrified looking pups, some also look sickly.

Disgusting people, it's not at all uncommon for them to sell sick pups.

I don't know how US law works but will tag @O2.0 as she is over there & will know more but I hope you do hold them accountable.

I hope your friend's puppy makes a full recovery.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That part of PA is notorious for puppy mills. Yes, by all accounts this is exactly what this is.
    I would contact whoever is Animal Control in Lancaster PA and report this place, I'm sure they're violating several animal welfare laws.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice