Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy crying all night Help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by poppydog1, May 12, 2010.

1. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

We got a JRT bitch last Thursday, she was 8 weeks old on sunday, we have a crate for her so that was made comfy with a hot water bottle, blankets,toys etc, she was taken out for a wee before we went to bed and put in her crate downstairs, she cried,barked and howled for several hours through the night and stars again at about 4.30am. i have tried the crate in the bedroom but if she can see you it seems to make her worse. I am at a loss of what to do we live in a mid terrace house and am sure neighbours can hear anyone any suggestions please.:(

2. leashedForLife

see post #22 of the sticky dog body language... for calmatives -

and put the crate directly beside the bed, within arms-reach.

9 posts that should help, describing how-to:
    http://tinyurl.com/2flbm36

3. poppydog1

To be honest its not possible to put crate right next to bed, plus OH is not keen to have crate upstairs anymore ideas?

4. poppydog1

Hi where can i buy the rescue remedy from a a health food shop thanks.

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Have you tried to put a blanket over the crate so the puppy feels cozy and safe and maybe a radio on for background noise, if it is too quiet in the house at night some puppy listen for noises and then react to them thinking it is you coming down to see her. As long as you put her out just before you go to bed and she have done her business, then put her straight back into the crate and dont make a fuss over her, then walk away, give the praisies in the morning when you first see her to put her out,(early). It will take time for her to get used to it as she is only a baby and will be missing her siblings and mother. Have you tried to put in a jumper or top that you have worn so it have your scent on it, and place that into her bed, she may sleep cuddled into it.? If you keep coming down to her every time she cries she will get used to it and keep doing it. Try to ignore her. You can sneak down and do a sneaky look but dont let her hear or see you, that way it puts your mind at rest that she is ok. If she still wakes at 4am then you could take her out for a pee etc then put her straight back in and leave her. I put a puppy pad in my dogs area's (I didnt use a crate) but I limit an area for sleep in the room.

6. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

The Bach Rescue Remedy is avaliable from most supermarkets & health food shops, its amazing stuff :) bout £7 in price.

Also tescos have a fab little mains powered alarm clock, at £6.99 which i got for my pup just 2 weeks ago, works a treat as she thinks people are near by. A tv may help if you can provide one, as some pups are fascinated by the colours etc :)

Hope your pup settles soon *hugs*

xx

#6 Emma Kuma, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. poppydog1

Got the rescue remedy do i give her 4 drops in mouth each time im leaving her or just on a night thanks.

8. Emma Kuma

Dosage

Give four drops per ounce of water by mouth.

It does not need to be swallowed, as long as the liquid comes into contact with the dog's gums, tongue or lips.

Put a few drops on your dog's nose which he will then lick off, or put a few drops on your hand and pet your dog on the head, around the ears, on her feet or even on her belly.

Add a dropperful to your dog's water bowl or to his food during stressful times.

You can put a dropperful into a spray bottle filled with spring water to spray a room, kennel, car or other problem areas.

HTH xx

#8 Emma Kuma, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. poppydog1

We gave pup the rescue remedy yesterday a couple of times throught the day, took her out for a wee etc before bed gave her the hot water bottle and made her comfy for the night also covered the cage, she started witht the wining and barking and kept on for about a hr never heard anymore until 5am so not to bad will keep on with the rescue remedy and hope she learns to settle.

10. Emma Kuma

glad she was a bit calmer last night :) pups puck up on a routine very quick, kumas 11 weeks and she sleeps right through the night, 10pm-6.30 :) you will get there hunni :)

Good luck and sleep well x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice