Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy concerns

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Louise86, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Louise86

Louise86 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I picked up my puppy on Tuesday and she has been great, eating really well, pooing and weeing and being very playful. She slept really well on Tuesday and Wednesday too.
    Now Friday she has pooed on her bed last night and it was a bit runny, she wouldn't settle at all. she has refused to eat her breakfast and hasn't had much to drink. Shs is fed a raw diet with a few biscuits.
    She is 14 weeks old and she has never been away from her brother but now she has. Do you think she misses him so she is not eating or drinking?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Puppies can get stressed on leaving mum and littermates and finding themselves in a new home and one of the ways it often shows is to have loose motions or even a bit of diarrhoea. The other things that will cause loose motions especially on top of relocation stress is often sudden abrupt changes of food. Are you feeding the exact same things in the quantities and ways the breeder was feeding her?

Having said all this I would have probably expected if it was relocation stress and/or sudden changes of food to perhaps see it more at the beginning when you got her not so much 4 days in. I would perhaps also be more concerned as she is not eating and drinking as well, especially more so drinking especially in this heat
    because not drinking and especially if there is frequent loose motions can cause dehydration which can then lead to them being really unwell. Even if they are drinking with loose motions or diarrhoea that is frequent especially even more so in hot weather can still mean that they are losing fluids quicker then they are going in and being absorbed. If she is sleeping more then before or seems depressed and uninterested in things and playing again I would be concerned that it is something more ie she isn't well. Likewise if she is unsettled and really agitated it can sometimes mean there is stomach pain or discomfort too. You can never be too careful with puppies as they can if they do pick up something infection wise can go down hill very quickly. If she doesn't want her next meal and is continuing not to drink plus especially if her behaviour and way shes acting is different to the first 3 days then I think I would be inclined to get her checked out by a vet today to be honest. Its never a bad idea when first getting a pup after a few days to get them vet checked anyway. Likewise if the diarrhoea continues, gets more frequent or worse and especially if other symptoms appear like vomiting, in fact if any further symptoms appear.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Louise86

Thank you so much for your reply. She has been fed on raw food since she was first introduced to solid food. I got advice from the breeder on what she usually feeds her but she couldn't give me exact amounts.
    She has been playing this morning and running about a bit. I tried her with an egg and some ham and she ate that and she has had some water. She still hasn't been for a poo since 6:30 this morning though but she has had a wee.
    We are going to the vets next week for a check up but will go sooner if she doesn't eat her dinner

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It's probably fine but I don't like giving ham, especially to youngsters, because the salt can be a bit tough on baby kidneys.

5. Louise86

Never thought about that, thanks for the info.
    She had raw beef and carrots for her tea and ate it all up and keeps asking for more food. But it is now 7:30pm and she still hasn't been since this morning :( she must need to go soon as her trumps are really smelly lol.
    Also she isn't straining or squatting trying to go, she just isn't doing anything apart from weeing.
    I've tried to contact the breeder but waiting for a reply

6. Linda2147

Linda2147 PetForums Senior

new food pushes out the old food so if she isn't eating much that's why she's hasn't pooed. Its probably stress, normally puppies will eat anything in sight. I feed raw and the rule of thumb is 2-3 % of their body weight. Raw food is filling and she should be eating three meals a day. Carrots are high in carbs, which she doesn't need. I will suggest you get a box of honest kitchen, comes in chicken, turkey or beef flavor. Mix equal parts with warm water, let it sit until the water is absorbed then mix it with the food. That is all the fruits and veggies she needs. And add 1 teaspoon of missing link for skin and coat, which is all the vitamins and minerals she may be missing in her diet.

7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

If she were an adult there are a few things that can help with constipation but i would'n t be happy suggesting them for a pup. But - loose then no poos - is there ANY chance she could have eaten anything she shouldn't? @Sled dog hotel , @Ceiling Kitty ? Sorry if I am overcooking this.

8. JRB123

JRB123 PetForums Member

I think on the raw diet too it can make their poops smaller! We've had nightmares here with our puppy not eating. On the days he does eat well he can go three times a day and on the days he doesn't it's just one small one. I've got a shih tzu who have a reputation for being fussy
    Hope your pup settles in well and good idea to see the vet soon too for an overall check as you have planned

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she had a good clear out last night when she had the loose motions, and she has only eaten for the first time in 24 hours? tonight then it could be just that's why she hasn't pooped yet, what comes out depends on what goes in and how much is in transit already basically. One other consideration could be if she wasn't drinking much then she could possibly be a bit constipated now, what with the hot weather. What can happen if they are not drinking then any moisture in the food is sucked out and then you can get constipation. If she is now eating well and looking for more food so her appetite has improved that sounds like a good sign, also if she is lively and interested in things and playing again that's a more positive sign.

The only concerns may be if she is the sort of pup that does ingest things she shouldn't. As someone else mentioned, have you noticed if she tends to be a pup that does this?

Forgot to add originally you said she wasn't drinking much when she was off the food, has that improved now and is she drinking well?

10. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Your puppies breeder has chosen a very good product to rear her puppies on.
    I would suggest that you don't try to over feed your puppy.
    Keep your meals quiet small so that they are eaten with enthusiasm and not to over feed the biscuits.
    Feeding raw does not always need big meals. A hungry puppy always looking for it's next meal is a good thing.
    What varieties of meat type has she been getting ? Have you changed the manufactures of your raw product, some puppies do not always like these changes!
    When eating a raw diet you may well find that your puppy does not want or need as much water as a kibble fed puppy.
    Water should be available at all times !
    Also poo's tend to be very much smaller and quiet hard when eating raw food. So don't expect masses of soft bulky ones. Maybe only 2 or 3 will be all that she does.

I would have thought that if she fed well for the first couple of days that her problem is not that she is missing her brother.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice