Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New puppy; breeder lied about age and maybe breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shanmac92, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SageFemme

SageFemme PetForums Senior

Again, that is my point!

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I thought Papillon cross. He's dead cute! :)

3. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Don't take it personally but so often on this forum we hear from people heartbroken because they bought a puppy from some backyard Breeder and it lived a couple of weeks and died a horrible death. Its frustrating when so many needless Deaths occur and Rocco has no doubt seen a great many more such posts than I have in the few months I have been here.

4. shanmac92

shanmac92 PetForums Junior

What point? That they put it in a dog travel cage with blankets to keep it warm so my aunt could transport it 60+ miles home?

5. SageFemme

I'm sorry but I disagree it takes years of research to buy a pup properly BUT I do think any responsible owner should do a good amount of research first.

From what you've said throughout this whole thread your aunt did not do enough research to buy a healthy pup from a reputable breeder. If she had have done the research she would not have bought this pup.

6. SageFemme

My point is she bought a pup without even seeing it out of a small cage.

How can you tell anything about the puppy with it locked in a cage that it doesn't have enough room to move about in?

7. shanmac92

I'm a trained animal welfare officer and I have seen a lot of backyard breeders. I know all about the deaths, the abuse, the strain on those poor dogs bodies. Many a night I have cried myself to sleep over it, for not being able to stop every backyard breeder in the world, it's a war I will continue to fight until the day I die, but my Aunt is in no way to blame for this, she and myself thought they seemed legit. But Rocco seems to be targeting me and my family for no reason. My aunt had and still is continuing to do research into pups, before during and after getting one. She knows what she is doing as much as the next person and I really dont appreciate someone being so rude and upsetting me for no reason.

8. shanmac92

Again, you aren't understanding. You don't know the whole story so how can you judge so quickly?

My aunt had the pup out on her lap, she poked and prodded, checked the nose , checked the teeth, the gums, checked the eyes, ears, head etc. Yes she may not have seen the pup walking or put it on the ground, but she tried her best as you can quite clearly see.

How many people can you say do this before buying a pup? most people look, pick the cutest and say yes please and off they go with their pup.

9. SageFemme

Obviously we aren't really getting anywhere here are we. One minute you say how could she see it when it was in a cage? and the next thing you say she's doing a full medical examination?

I give up with this thread :mad2: good luck to your aunt

10. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

You're a trained animal welfare officer and you think getting a puppy for £80 off gumtree is a perfectly responsible way to buy a puppy and was 'legit'?!?!? That doesn't give me a lot of hope for animal welfare if I'm honest ;)

I'm not targeting you at all. You were the one that went onto the offensive regarding comments that your aunt hadn't done her research. Well, I still cannot see how she could have and then bought the pup she did.

#90 rocco33, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've kept out of this so far, but your story really doesn't stack up. You're a 'trained animal welfare officer' but you got conned into a 5 week old, sickly puppy? Really?

12. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

My thoughts exactly - doesn't give you much confidence in animal welfare. :rolleyes:

13. Ceiling Kitty

I don't want to get into an argument, but your first post made it sound like she didn't really know what she was getting into. I think that's where all this has come from. I mean, they should have known that adult food was wrong for any pup.

They've done a great thing for this little pup, good on them. :thumbup: But I do think the right research might have thrown up some clues on how to spot a BYB as opposed to a conscientious breeder - asking the right questions and looking in the right place might have steered them away from this breeder in the first place. That said, even if it was obvious that it was a BYB when they turned up it's much easier said than done to leave a pup in that state.

As I said, he's dead cute, I love his ears! :)

14. shanmac92

You clearly are targeting me. People on gumtree can sell their pets and be legitimate people, who wanted to get one litter of pups out of their bitch before neutering. I got my Chihuahua off gumtree for FREE because an old man took sick and couldn't care for him anymore. I still take my chi to visit him once a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just because a puppy doesn't come from a reputable breeder does not make the puppy undesirable. I've bred a litter from my dog and kept one pup and gave the other to my mother. I'm not a reputable breeder but I bred my dog?

15. Ceiling Kitty

I'd be careful admitting that if I were you... *hides*

16. SageFemme

And you work in animal welfare? :)

17. shanmac92

My aunt and her kids fell in love with Milo the moment they set eyes on him! It was the breeder who handed my aunt the can of wet adult food, she had already bought pup food before going for the little guy. I went to see him as soon as they got home and she showed me and told me what happened and I was shocked! Over the phone the 'breeders' seemed reputable. I was working and couldn't be there with her or help out more to see for myself otherwise I'd have known right away it was dodgy.
    Thanks for your comment and thanks for being pleasant

18. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

My first Dog Petra was from a Back Yard Breeder, a Girl I lived with who stupidly allowed a Deerhound and a Lurcher to mate her Rough Collie. The result was a sudden and unexpected Litter of 8 puppies. We kept three and gave the rest away to good homes. 7 of them Lived for 13 years but one was sadly killed in a Road Accident which Broke my mates heart.

Petra was a wonderful Dog though. A Lurcher Rough Collie cross who could run like the Wind and whose whole bum waggled when she was happy to see me come home from work every day. She used to have a big toothy grin as well which always made me laugh.

19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

My brother's story and your aunt's are actually remarkably similar. Ok, so your auntie didn't insist on a certain breed (almost suggesting an "any dog will do" mentality) as opposed to.my brother knowing what he wanted, but not knowing enough to recognise it. They both got scammed - my bro by paying for a cross sold as pedigree and your aunt by not knowing the difference between.an 8wk old.puppy ready to leave its dam, and a 5wk old pup nowhere near old enough. I'm sorry, but I don't agree that this could happen to anyone, because in the days of the internet, and all the media attention focussing on puppy farmers these days, there's simply no excuse for being scammed. To anyone who's even conducted 5mins of research to buying a puppy, gumtree should be the very last place they'd look!

She didn't want a rescue dog because of all the behavioural problems they might have and she doesn't know how to handle it? What if Milo develops problems later in life and she HAS to manage them?

You say yourself your own dogs were from "reputable breeders" on gumtree. How exactly do you measure reputable?

First of all, this is a public forum and anyone has the right to say their opinion, whether you like it, or not. You have no right to dictate who does and doesn't post on your thread. You might start a thread, but you do not own it. All you can do is choose to ignore certain posters (I'm guessing that will include me). You might not like what some.posters have said, but from what I've read, nobody's deliberately set out to offend

You mentioned babies. I'd personally hope anyone thinking of having a baby would look into the long term commitment and consider the implications carefully before getting.pregnant, just the same as looking into getting a dog. I would hope the majority of babies born are very much wanted, planned additions to a family and not just the consequence of a naughty look in their parents' eye. Unfortunately, too many babies are the result of just that, but one.doesn't excuse or outdo the other. That's a ridiculous comparison to make.

Nobody's saying Milo isn't gorgeous, or that your aunt doesn't love him, but fact is, if she'd spent more time looking up on certain breeds/crosses and breeders, she wouldn't have been sold an underage puppy, because she wouldn't have fallen for the scam.

So yes, to an extent, as.much as she loves Milo, she has to share some of the blame for being scammed. I've no doubt she loves him, and I wish her success with him, but if she's not sure if she could handle a rescue dog because of potential behavioural problems, I just hope Milo doesn't develop any caused by being away from his dam far too soon.

20. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Now why doesn't that surprise me - and you're right there - you're no reputable breeder ;)

No wonder animal welfare is in such a state!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice