Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy - bathing and collar advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cuddypuppy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

We get our new puppy (Black Pug girl) on 18th July. I just wondered when is the best age to give an occasional bath and should I do this on a regular basis, or just when needs must?

I will be using Johnson's babywipes for keeping the face and wrinkles etc. clean (we still buy these for the kids and they are 9 and 10!).

Secondly, when is it best to start using a collar and is it best to leave the collar on all of the time, or take it off at night?

All advice most appreciated.

:)

2. plymgary

plymgary PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Congrats on your new puppy. Despite the (probably!) sleep deprived nights you'll have make the most of it.....the cute puppy days are soon gone.

I only bathed my lab once he started going out for walks. Just follow your instinct and bathe her when you think it's necessary. Just be sure to use a puppy shampoo though.

I started with the dogs collar straight away. I'd put it on for a couple of minutes initially then over the course of a few weeks increased the amount of time until he was wearing it without trying to get the thing off!!!

Hope that helps. :)

3. rona

rona Guest

My dogs are only bathed when needed, but many people do it regularly.
    I don't like collars on mine around the house, but again this is just a matter of choice.
    Whatever suits you really :)

4. animallover111

Well Tilly is 1yr old and only had the one bath.........tho she plays with the hose pipe and goes in the paddling pool!!
    Vaunny(sharpei)bathed twice a week for skin alergies
    Poppy 6 month old SBT jumps in the shower with anyone(apart from me).....:eek: :eek:

As for collars none of mine wear them in the house.....but i would get your pup used to having a collar on for when you go out for walks try putting one on when you for a bit in the house it will save having a fight when you start walking :) :)

5. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Personally I only bath my 6 year old dog when I think he needs it and I'll treat Pippa the same.

I've started to put Pippas collar on for small periods throughout the day for her to get used to it but always take it off at night

6. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Hi and congratulations on your new puppy :D

My puppy is nearly 16 weeks old and i bath him usually every 10 days, i like to keep him clean and smelling sweet LOL but i was advised by the breeder to do this so.............

I started using a collar immediately to get him used to one but i remove it at night to prevent any accidents, especially as im not around to check on him :D

7. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

The breeder of my pup put a collar on soon as we had decided which pup would be best for me.
    And she still wears it 24/7.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine has to be bathed because she is a poodle! I dont do extra baths though, just whenever she needs clipping so she has actually only had one bath since I got her. Any other breed I had had are only bathed if absolutely necessary, maybe once a year or not even that often. My older standard poodle gets a bit dry coated and smelly if she isnt bathed once every 6 weeks or so.
    Collars, well I have always put one straight on a pup. Candy arrived with a cat collar on with a little bell which I find amazingly useful as I hear her waking up and can get her outside. It still just about fits her, does anyone know where I can get a bell to put on her proper collar! She now wears her proper one all the time too so has 2 collars on. I find it easier as I often want to pop her on the lead or tie her up.

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Bathing dogs to much destroys the natural oils in their coats, Arran who is two has had three baths since we got him at 8 weeks, we've had Abby who is about 9 or 10 for 18 months and she's not been bathed by me at all.
    I put the collar on a new dog right away and leave it on for an hour or so, I then build it up until it's left on all day but taken of at bed time.

Terri

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I have bathed mine once this year, they are not smelly dogs because they have natural oils that clean them when these oils are taken away by too much bathing thats when they can get smelly. I do rinse their under carriage with hose pipe and in winter rinse them all over as they are springers, and springers = mud. I dont use shampoo.

11. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

If you want to you could get yourself some bicarbonate of soda, rub it dry into the dogs coat, wait an hour and then brush out. Sounds daft but it really does take all the dirt out of the coat without stripping the oils.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice