UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just got a new puppy a couple weeks ago. Starting yesterday, he yelps/whines as if he is in pain but there doesn't seem to be any apparent reason. Could it be teething? Any advice info would be appreciated. I really don't want to spend money on the vet for them to tell me he's teething.... Thanks!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi,

We just got a new puppy a couple weeks ago. Starting yesterday, he yelps/whines as if he is in pain but there doesn't seem to be any apparent reason. Could it be teething? Any advice info would be appreciated. I really don't want to spend money on the vet for them to tell me he's teething.... Thanks!
Is he yelping and whining when you are with him and in sight too, or just when you leave him? if he is yelping and whining all the time with him or not I would be worried that something may be wrong especially if it just started out the blue and its not just when left alone. One of mine was a bit fractious when he was teething and a bit bady behaved but he wasnt whining and yelping like he was in pain all the time. with pups sometimes you cant take chances they can sudenly go down hill rapidly if something is wrong with him.
For the price of a consultation to be honest I would rather be sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, he does it periodically... sometime when we pet him, sometimes when he is just laying there. He isn't eating as much either. When we pet him at first we thought it might be that area we were petting, but it has happened when petting by his ear or petting down his back or on the side and once I tried to look at his paws.... there doesn't seem to be any one spot that hurts him.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
ok, he does it periodically... sometime when we pet him, sometimes when he is just laying there. He isn't eating as much either. When we pet him at first we thought it might be that area we were petting, but it has happened when petting by his ear or petting down his back or on the side and once I tried to look at his paws.... there doesn't seem to be any one spot that hurts him.
If he is off his food as well and not wanting to eat so much and crying and whining with you there and touched or not, I would get him checked over in the morning just in case. Whats he like in himself in general, is he bright and playing and interested in his surroundings. If he isnt so much and is laying around or sleeping more too or looking depressed and uninterested he may be incubating something or unwell.

Usually some pups will cry and whine and be stressy when you first bring them home
and some will pick and not eat that much at first mainly through stress of leaving mum and littermates, but if he was fine at first and he has already been there two weeks and this has just started I would be more suspicious something may be up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I was going to get him tomorrow, I just thought I would ask around in the meantime. We got him at 9 weeks of age and he has been here going on 3 weeks now... When we first brought him home we expected the missing of his mom etc, but he didn't go through any of that... he just made himself at home as if he had been here for a while. lol... he is usually running around here and playing. Thanks though!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
yeah, I was going to get him tomorrow, I just thought I would ask around in the meantime. We got him at 9 weeks of age and he has been here going on 3 weeks now... When we first brought him home we expected the missing of his mom etc, but he didn't go through any of that... he just made himself at home as if he had been here for a while. lol... he is usually running around here and playing. Thanks though!
Hope he is OK wise to get it checked out though, let us know how he is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was thinking that too.... he very well could have, I drive quite a distance to pick up the kids so until he is fully potty trained him and our other dog go outside..... however, he went poo a couple hours ago and he came back in rearing to go, he came running up and wanted to play and was back to his normal self.... haven't heard any whimper or yelp either, so maybe he passed whatever it was. I'm still going to monitor him :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.