Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new puppy and older dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by loulou77, Jul 10, 2009.

1. loulou77

loulou77 PetForums Newbie

hi everyone,

i am new to this site and was hoping you experienced dog owners good give me some help or advice.

I currently have a very spolit 5yr old westie named george. He is very good at his commands and have excellent behaviour, he never has any accidents in the house, he is not destructive. all round he is a brilliant dog. he is allowd on the furniture and sleeps on the bed with me at night,

The problem I have got is that I am desperate to have another dog. I went to see a puppy this morn who would be 8wks old if I decide to get him. I am worried that as george is the only animal in the household he may not take to a new puppy. george has no anger issues in fact he adores other dogs so much so that I sometime have to drag him away from other dogs whilst out walking as he will happily play withthem all day.

Would you say it's advisable to get a new dog??

I love george with all my heart and would never do anything that might affect him just for my own benefit.

any help is so greatly appreciated

thankyou all

louise scott:confused:

2. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

hi

we have 3 terriers ranging in ages from 12 years down to 14 months of age,

pip is 12 year old jrt and when we introduced him to out new pup Poppy the border terrier, we had to be very careful as he is a bit of a head case with other dogs but we use to walk them together and watch them play in the garden, Pip soon adjusted to having a new mate to play with as he had been use to my border collie who then sadly died at 17 half. 2 years later, last year we then introduced our new addition Meg the Youngest border terrier to our family, which was a lot easier, pip was use to having another dog around and he was very goo with little Meg, who is now 14 months old and i can see that she is going to be top dog of the 3 of them eventually. I'm sure george will get on fine with a new addition, as Pip was 8 half when i got our first border pup, so he adjusted.

Good luck, what are you thinking of getting, another terrier perhaps, after having had border collies and terriers all my life, think our breed will always be the border terrier, great little dogs, full of love, life and terrier instinct:)

3. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I think you dog will be fine
    When you bring puppy home let them say hello in the garden so there no in the house were some dogs can get funny and you should not have any problems

I have 5 dogs myself 11 years down to 2 years and have had litters of puppys running around all my dogs and there fine with them

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

hi there, im pretty sure you dog will love a new play mate and will relish it and be revitalised by it all. The person who bought my first bichon had a bichon/shitzu cross who is six. The first few days they were finding their feet, the older dog didnt really pay much attention to it, well a few months down the line and the older dog has become inseperable from the younger one, it has become more pup like itself and they get on famously and snuggly up at bed time together. I think dogs in general really benefit from other dog company, so id go for it!!

5. doggiesgalore

doggiesgalore PetForums Member

Hi loulou77, Welcome to the forum.

The majority of dogs love having others around to play with, of course there is always the odd exception. But George doesn't sound like an exception.
    Providing George's vaccinations are up to date and the puppy is at least 6 weeks of age, how about asking the breeder if you could visit the puppy taking George with you. If the breeder is ok with that you can introduce the two of them on the puppy's territory, perhaps in the garden with George on a lead to begin with (I do this and so far all has worked well). Then all being well when collecting the puppy take George with you, ensuring when you arrive home to let George step through the door first. Or if it isn't possible to take him, make sure George is not around or at least in another room when you take the puppy home so he doesn't see him/her coming through the door, as he may see him/her as a threat. Make sure you give George plenty of attention as well as the puppy. I am sure you will. But the idea is to ensure George doesn't feel left out or threatened in his own home. I am sure given time, some sooner than later, they will become great friends.
    Good luck. Please let us know what you decide to do. Also what breed is the new puppy?

6. loulou77

hey guys

just want to say thanks for all your amazing advice. after much consideration i have decided to go for it with the new puppy. if george had even an ounce of aggression in him i would definately say no but he hasn;t.

i am def going to be making sure george gets plenty of cuddles and involve him with the puppy as much as possible.

the pup i am getting is a mini schnauzer x cavalier king charles. i have researched both breads and its seems they are good with other dogs.

he is going to another little boy so if you can think of any names that would go well with george that would be great

thankyou everyone again.xx

:D

7. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I had a 13 year old labxgsd and a 2year old labxclliexgsd when we got our pup, well when we bought him home we introduced him to the eldest first and they all got on brilliantly, we had a crate for the pup to go in already set up and used to put the pup in when things got a little too much for him and he needed to rest.(he wouldnt go to sleep in case he missed something!!). Our old boy sadly had to be put to sleep a month after we got the pup as he developed liver failure so we didn't really get to find out how their relationship would develope but the other 2 are brilliant together and play endlessly!!

I am sure Goeorge will love his new addition and as long as they are introduced well and you remember to buy 2 of everything!!;) then i am sure your household will be as happy as ours!! Oh and BTW remember to leave them to sort out their own ppecking order this is something that doesn't just come with age, our 5month male is dominant over our 2 + 1/2 year old!! so don't just assume that because George is the oldest he should be the boss as dog life just isn't like that!! ;) :) :D

Now names.....

Zippy
    Bungle
    Charlie

:confused::confused:

#7 Matrix/Logan, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  8. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

Hiya, Only u know your dog, but if u say he's got a brilliant temperament then he sld be ok! Has he been around a puppy before? Maybe u sld get him to meet the puppy before you buy him? Good luck xx

9. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

P.S- If you do buy the pup, let him and your dog meet on mutral territory as he might not be happy with a pup just running in the house,but like I said if u think he'l be ok, go for it! xx

10. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Good luck I hope all works out well for you don't forget the pics!!!!!!!! Don't be surprised if your dog gets a bit fed up after a couple of days, stick with it and things should come right. Whenever I have introduced a dog my dogs have had 1 or 2 days of moping about looking sad after the initial excitement but soon got over it:)

11. loulou77

i am getting qiote excited now, its just my dad keeps saying i think your making a mistake george will feel left out. i would never leave george out i am going to make sure if the pup is on my lap and george wants to aswell then i am going to let him cuddle in too. i think all you comments have made my mind up i am def having him. i was think of henry, thomas something like that as a name so any more suggestions guys.

thanks fo everything i will be posting some pic very soon.
    xx

12. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

good luck with the new puppy when you get him. when we brought our new pup in to our family, i always made sure that Poppy was greeted first, she got her cuddle first and the food being the older dog, so not to put her nose out of joint so to speak.

Poppy is fine with Meg, but even now i always try to make sure that Poppy gets the fuss first. It was the same when visitors came to see the new addition, i always told them to fuss Poppy first and give her a biscuit before cuddlying the pup:)

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I felt exactly the same as you so can understand where you are coming from on this.:) We have a five year old Bichon Frise and we wanted another dog but I was scared of spoiling things for him. He is much like your Westie, the perfect dog and is easy going and fits in with everything we want to do and I didn't want to upset him in any way by adding another dog but he does love other dogs when we are out. We took the plunge three weeks ago and got a little Bichon bitch and he loves her. It's lovely to watch them playing together and sleeping together. He used to move away at first when she slept next to him but now he doesn't. She is doing him so much good because I think he was getting old before his time - she has livened him up no end.:laugh:

She was a pain for pulling on his ears and tail at first but she doesn't do it as much now and she loves him chasing her round the garden and he seems happy to oblige. He is neutered and she will be spayed when she is old enough.:yesnod:

I was looking at getting another breed of dog but figured that Benji seems to get on with other Bichons best when we see one on our walks which isn't very often he seems to want to play with them more than other dogs so another Bichon seemed the obvious choice.

Here she is with him in the garden pulling his ear.
    [​IMG]

On a walk together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If he wants time away from the puppy if she does get a bit much he goes upstairs and sits at the top of the stairs where she isn't allowed.:laugh:

#13 Jazzy, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  14. loulou77

hi guys sorry to be a pain

my dad has got it into his head that if thee puppy pees on my carpet my george is going to start peeing in the house aswell. i say george will teach the pup where to go to the toilet please help me with this

i just want this puppy so much he would have the best life ever.,xx

15. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

LMAO! He might! But if u make sure the puppy knows he's done wrong, they sld both get the message! xx

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I thought this too but it hasn't happened so far. The puppy isn't housetrained yet but as long as we remember to let her in the garden at regular intervals she will do it in the garden rather than the floor but hasn't mastered the art of asking to go out yet. The puppy does follow the older dog which helps a lot.

17. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

Hiya, well that sounds promising! good luck lou lou! xx

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes and we are saved the pain of those little puppy needle like teeth cos she uses them on Benji instead.:laugh:

19. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I think George will be a great eacher and teach the little one the right place to go, i have never had an older one resort back to puppy peeing when a puppy comes along!!!

Tell your dad that older kids don't go back into nappies and peeing on the floor when you are potty training do they!!! ;) :D :wink5:

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes that's true - thank goodness.:laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice