Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Puppy and I have a few questions!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by toryb, Feb 2, 2012.

1. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

I didnt know where to put this other than posting seperatly in each section so I thought I would put it all together in one post in here :)

Millie is 15 weeks old and we adopted her last saturday, she has been in foster untill now.

Her toilet training is very hit and miss...I take her out every hour or so (depending on wether she is asleep or not!) but i also take her out after play time, naps, eating etc. She will pee and poop in the garden but if i put her lead on she just spends the whole time messing about chewing her lead and then doesnt pee/poop. I have been rewarding her with a very enthusiastic 'YAY GOOD Girl!!' type reaction when she does go becuase too many treats upset her tum and I dont think I could give her a treat everytime without causing her problems!! :confused: She often pees in the garden and then 15 mins later or so she will pee on the living room floor (a tiny little puddle) and I have been using simple solution to clean any accidents up...Am I doing this right? Will she eventaully get the hang of it? I feel like im watching her every single move at the moment!! Im fine with accidents as I know she is only young and its very early days...she is still settling etc...I just want to make sure we are helping her in the right direction :)

Chewing...she is chewing everything and anything she can wrap her teeth around :eek: She has a ball on a rope which is almost dead, some tennis balls, a soft toy on a rope and also some soft toys...she loves them all but nothing is going to last very long..any rec's for good tough toys that will last a while? She has lost some of her baby teeth and has her big ones coming through...

Feeding...she came to us on arden grange puppy food and I had bought a bag of that but her poo was fairly sloppy so I have started adding some nature diet in over the last few days with a view to change completly to ND with an occasional sprinkling of the AG kibble....how slowly do I have to do the change?
    Im feeding her three times a day...is this ok?

Thank you :eek:

2. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

To me, it sounds like you are doing well. :)
    All the kong toys are hard-wearing and Terence has a couple of stuffing free soft toys (he LOVES soft toys) and they are holding up okay. But eventually, he destroys everything. The hard-wearing toys from pets at home lasted about 2 days. :rolleyes:

What breed is she? And you know it is the law of the forum to post pictures, don't you? ;)

3. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Thank you :) she is a greyhound x Saluki!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Awww she's lovely!

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine :thumbup:

She'll get the toilet training eventually, they all get there in the end, some take longer than others and if you've only had her since Saturday it's still early days.

I have two incredible chewers too and the only things that have lasted with them is Kongs and Nylabones.

5. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Sounds like you're doing fine. :) She's gorgeous.

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Wow what a looker your pup is,,,, i feed my Lurcher Autarky dry food, hes 19 months old now and doing really well on it, like your pup hes also a rescue, hope all works out ok soon

7. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

You've got yourself a puppy, believe me, we all go through it. They're hard work for the first few weeks but with patience and perserverance you'll get there. You're not going through anything everyone else with dogs hasn't experienced. Good luck, it doesnt take long.

8. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Aw, she is gorgeous!!

9. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are doing great. Millie is lovely. The only thing I would add if you are concerned about too many rich treats, pop some of her daily allowance of kibble in a bag with the treats , sometimes she gets kibble sometimes a treat helps cut down on the rich stuff :)

Welcome Millie i hope we get to see lots of photos as you grow :)

10. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

She is gorgeous!! <3

As everyone else has said...you seem like you're doing well :) She will soon catch on to the toilet training..it took months of very hard work until Finlay was completely toilet trained...it was so frustrating! And I'd definately go for kongs and nylabones..they're the only toys Finlay hasn't yet destroyed :p

11. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Hope that helps a bit.

PS she is adorable :)

12. pinkpuppy

pinkpuppy PetForums Member

Awww she is gorgeous!!

My pup got a runny tummy from treats so we just give him a bit of his kibble as a reward. Sorted his tummy out straight away.

Sounds like you are doing great xxx

13. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

She's lovely :001_wub: bless her sounds like she's keeping you on your toes :D

I think you're doing fine hun, we got our puppy on monday and we're doing similar to you;
    weaning her off royal canin (so expensive :eek:) feeding nature diet. We have also bought simple solution and it seems to be working really well.

I may be thinking of someone else but do you have an older greyhound too? :eek: Sorry if I'm mistaken.

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

15 weeks is very young still, also its a big upheaval for her so she is likely still stressed and confused. I have always taken these out every 30/45 minutes
    when she starts, use a name, used every time eventually they associate the name with going so later you can use it as a toilet cue. When finished lots of praise and treats. If you are worried you can use tiny bits of plain chicken that should be OK, there are hypo allergenic treats JWB do some, other wise you can even use little bits of her kibble or wet food to treat.
    Look out for scratching, sniffing and circling the floor although sometimes you dont see it until later as at first they often dont realise or realise too late that they need to go. If she has an accident dont tell her off it can make her nervous about going in front of you and more likely to try to sneak off and so it. Make sure you use a pet stain/odour remover any smells can encourage them to repeat in the same places. As you rightly said too after drinking, eating play and sleeping they usually especially need to go so take her out then.

As regards to the chewing, Kongs are good, you can use all things to fill them encluding wet dog food in fact Nature diet is excellent, you can get different ones including the classic, the genius, the dental and the wobbler that you can put biscuit in see link and section how to Kong for filling ideas
    Dog & Cat Toys & Dog Treats - Pet Toys, Dog Chew Toys | KONG Company
    Buster Cubes you fill with kibble and set to distribute pieces here and there as they play are good, Also the Dog Maze.
    Buster DogMaze - YouTube
    The New Buster Cube - YouTube
    Stag Bars are safe and long lasting too
    Our products | Pure Dog | Stagbar antler dog chews | natural dog treats | organic dog snacks | hypoallergenic dog chews | long-lasting dog chews | teeth cleaning dog chews | low fat dog treats

3/4 times a day is the normal at this age, if she seems hungry still later at night then maybe give her a 4th meal. It can be a long time to wait until morning otherwise, so if she wont settle at night, or wakes up a lot it could be she is hungry if only on 3 meals and the 3rd is too early in the evening.
    Arden grange I believe is a pretty good food. If she was loose then it could just be from the stress of re-locating its very common in pups when first going to a new home, it should settle and if she is otherwise bright and Ok nothing to worry about. If you do want to change its best to do it over a week or so, adding a little more of the new and a little less of the old on a daily basis. Sudden abrubt change can also upset their tums, so usually wise to wait for a week or so until settled in before changing.

#14 Sled dog hotel, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice