Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Pup - Vaccination advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by buddyandtoby, Apr 6, 2011.

1. buddyandtoby

buddyandtoby PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

First post on here.

We have just had a 13 week old Bichon Frise, Toby, who hasnt had any vaccinations at all - Seems the owner hasnt got a clue, as he also needs a haircut!

I was wondering, can he have all of his due vaccinations in one sitting or will it be in stages?

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for good pet insurers??

Thanks

Ash

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The vaccines are combined, or multi anyway all the various diseases in one, although you do have to have two in total though. Normally its the first, then I believe the 2nd two weeks later then probably 2 weeks after the 2nd they then go out. There is nothing to stop you taking him out to get him used to the car and carrying him about (as long as he doesnt make immediate contact with the floor and other dogs) that will at least get him used to noises, sights and some smells, and used to other people and kids.

As regards to the Insurance, you need to get it done asap as the firat 14 days you cannot claim for although some will cover for accident in the first 14days. You need to go for life long or life time cover. Most companies do various amounts for vet bills per year (the higher the cover money wise the higher the premium) With life long cover though, that amount gets re-instated in full every year, as long as you renew and it doesnt matter what claims you have had the previous year. Each year you will have that set amount or up to it on vet bills.

Beware of some that may seem cheap, some only cover an illness or injury for 12 months, so if your dog gets an ongoing illness needing meds, gets complications from an injury the following year, or something re-occurs then you cant claim after that 12 months at all.
    Other types give you an amount per illness or injury and there is no time limit to use the set amount, but once the money is used up for that type of illness/injury you cant make any more claims, they tend to lump types of illness together too, ie eye disorders, digestive complaints. Bear in mind that some thing like a broken leg or injury can run in to several thousand, with xrays, scans, Operation if needed, always get the best cover you can afford.

Hope this might be of help

3. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Welcome.

Firstly, you'll need a couple of visits to the vet for the vaccinations.

Secondly, there's a list of 'good' insurers on my website (see sig below). I set it up after I was screwed over by an insurance company and it's continually updated. It simply doesn't feature companies that are known to be 'bad' i.e. try and wriggle out of paying. I would heavily recommend that you take out lifetime/lifelong cover. You should also be aware that once you've chosen a company you are pretty much stuck with them forever as anything you visit your vet for (other than vaccinations) will go on record and count as a 'pre-existing' condition if you try and change and the new insurer won't cover you for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice