Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New pup doesn't seem to have much appetite?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ellerslie83, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ellerslie83

ellerslie83 PetForums Newbie

I've had my pup for a week and she's currently 12 weeks old. She came with Royal Canin maxi junior biscuits and a diet sheet with the usual scrambled eggs and rice pudding stuff on it, but she just doesn't seem to eat much or be overly eager for meals.

She doesn't seem to like the RC biscuits at all, and isn't even keen on rice pudding. She does like the scrambled eggs, but I stopped giving it to her as I didn't want her to just hold out for that each day, but even so, she's keen when I prepare the food, but when I put it down, apart from occasionally polishing it off, more often than not just has a couple of mouthfuls of her food, then walks leaves it sitting there for hours.

She sometimes goes back for a sniff, but that's all.

I've started mixing in Naturediet Puppy/Junior as I was planning to change her to something other than RC, but she doesn't even seem keen on Naturediet meat?! So now I have no idea what I would try changing her to?!

She still wants treats for training - but even with these, you give her one type that she seems to absolutely love and then she just stops accepting them.

Is she really being canny at 12 weeks old and taking me for a mug or is it something else?? She's otherwise perfectly normal and plays like crazy and is loving going out etc and doesn't do anything else that concerns me - maybe I'm just used to our previous dog which was a Labrador, so basically a walking vacuum cleaner.....?!

2. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

She may still be settling in and unsure of her surroundings, getting a new home often puts puppies off their food

What breed is she? I always had Labradors growing up and when we adopted my Cavalier king charles spaniel I always stressed about the amount he ate , but I was used to a 32KG Lab inhaling everything within her path :lol:

3. spannels

spannels PetForums Member

Have you tried moistening her kibble with warm water? Not to make it sloppy, but to bring out the scent of it.

While she's settling in, I'd feed her what she's happy to eat, and make any necessary adjustments in a few days.

At 12 weeks, she's not 'taking you for a mug', she's just a baby in a new place where everything's unfamiliar. However, I'd not leave the food down for hours, put it down for her somewhere quiet and where she feels safe, and take it up after twenty minutes. She'll be on four meals a day at present, so not too long to wait until the next meal time.

If she's still not eating, try giving it in small amounts (spoonfuls, when she's eaten one, put the next spoonful down), or even start her off feeding by hand till she's ready to tuck in properly.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Are you just leaving it down all the time to graze on? Its often better to feed her daily allowance separated into 4 equal size portions and feed them at specific meal times, equally spaced apart. Leave it down for about 20 minutes and then take it up until the next meal time.

Also worth trying adding a little warm water to the kibble, and either feeding straight away or letting it soak a bit before feeding. You can also add a couple of spoonfulls of the nature diet and mix that in by hand so that the kibbles coated and even add a small amount of warm water to that to make a gravy. Or if you want to re-try just nature diet, then warm it first for a few seconds in the microwave before feeding.

What you are feeding her in can sometimes be a factor too. Some pups don't like putting their heads into deep bowls especially if they have a small diameter at first. Often its because breeders use the flat puppy feeding pans of shallow puppy bowls. Some don't like certain bowls, light weight ones like plastic or stainless steel can move around when they are trying to eat and put them off. Some don't like plastic or stainless steel anyway. Even dog tags hitting and clanking on the hard bowls have been known to put pups off.
    Maybe try feeding her on different flatter or shallow plates or bowls to see if that makes a difference it has be known before what you are actually feeding them in puts pups off.

5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Oh you poor thing, iv'e been there done all of that, I know just what it is like and done all the worrying too!

I often find that a puppy feeding by itself can be very difficilt, even if it remains at home with it's mum.
    Feeding by itself is so "alien" as it has been used to feeding with it's sibblings and having loads of competition right down to last scrap.
    Your puppy now has to learn to eat by itself!
    Our puppies have to learn to eat in a strange new home and some need company and re assurance.
    Stay with your puppy while it is showing interest in it's food, don't walk away or leave the room, your puppy will probably want to follow you!
    I have before now just put small amounts of food straight onto the floor (No bowl), some like it this way.

Cut her back to 3 feeds and don't leave any food around in between meal times, (it's possible she is not very hungry) stop all treats with training, gentle praise from you should be fine.
    So now her only food intake should be what you offer at meal times.
    Remove all food after 20 mins, she may be more hungry next time!

Could you possibly think of some raw meat for one of her feeds, try a chicken wing or just a little minced chicken with bone in.

Everything will be fine in the end as I'm sure you are quiet aware, but it is just such bloody hard work and worrying too !

Good luck.

#5 wee man, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. ellerslie83

ellerslie83 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all the ideas and advice!

She's a smooth collie, and I do very much feel like an anxious mother even though I've had pups before, but not for over a decade!

I had been leaving her bowl down as I guess I'm so used to the hovering Labrador approach, so I'll start setting a timer to remind myself to take it up.

I have been moistening the food too as I was worried that maybe her little teeth/gums were hurting, but will try making the nature diet warmer too.

I do just want her to eat - I hate to think of her being hungry but am also wary of making a rod for my own back as she's already shown herself to be a smart little cookie so I want to check myself before allowing myself to baby her too much as I am already overwhelmed by how much I love her, as I was anxious when I got her that I wouldn't feel for her what I felt for my past dogs I've had to say goodbye to.

She's only been here a week but has already endeared herself so much. :001_tt1:

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I hate to sound demanding, but why haven't you posted photos??

8. mandijane44

mandijane44 PetForums Newbie

My puppy was exactly the same and to some extent still is. Unless I cook her something like a lamb chop or scrambled eggs she won't show any enthusiasm. She just hates dog food full stop. At the moment she is on Wainwrights and it took some persisting with but she does eat better than she did. I have taken her to the vets for a check up a couple of times and the vet is not concerned so I have had to learn to live with her picky ways. It is hard not to worry though and I empathise totally with the worry you must be feeling and the only advice I can offer is the same as the vet told me, as long as she is active and her poos are firm and brown then she is healthy. Her energy levels are high and I often ponder how she can be so manic on a few mouthfuls every mealtime :rolleyes: Odd thing is though, she will turn her nose up at the expensive puppy food then sneak into the hens run and nick old potatoes and veg thrown for the chicks! :nonod:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice