Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New pup, crate and crying advice please!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by toryb, Jan 29, 2012.

1. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Hya, we adopted a new puppy (Millie) yesterday morning...she is a 14 week old greyhound x saluki and she has been in a foster home for a few weeks and has been crate training. Last night we settled her into her crate and when we got into bed she started crying and whining so I went back down and switched a lamp on and left the TV on news 24 for her so there was some talking noise...she sti whinned and cryed so in the end hubby and I alternated half the night each on the sofa and Millie slept on the sofa with us where she slept solidly untill 6.30am!

But now im unsure what to do...I have read that you ought to just ignore the noise and i know its a personal thing but I am worried about ignoring her...I would fee terrible :( Plus she would wake all the children up! :blush:

We dont have room in our bedroom for the crate as our youngest her her cot in with us and its tight up there as it is...

I tried to put her in the crate this morning with the door shut for a few mins to see how she got on but she cried, barked and chewed at the door so I let her out again...I dont want to make her scared of the crate? :huh:

I dont know what to do when we need to pop out for the school run either tomorow...I dont think she will walk that far yet as she has been relucted to go out since she arrived yesterday which im putting down to adjusting and it being early days!!

Any advice would be great :smile5: Here she is :001_tongue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It is very early days, she will be stressed and uncertain as it is all new to her, she just needs time to aclimatise and get used to you, the new surroundings and a new routine. The fact that she has already been in a crate is a plus, but I would start the gradual training just like you would when a pup has never been in one.

Set the crate up, with her bed in there, a good thing to although it is early days and she hasnt got used entirely to your smell yet, is to put an old T-shirt or Jumper you have worn in the crate on her bed as your smell can comfort and re-assure them. Another good thing to put in the crate is a large soft toy or several smaller ones, pups often sleep touching or atop of each other in the litter so having this can mimic something to cuddle up to and settle them. AS you quite rightly said a background noise can be better then silence, a radio on a talking station turned down low can often help. Bright lights can work the opposite as it stimluates them into being awake, Its better to either have darkness, or if they really dont like the darkness a dim night light is usually much better.

Other things that can help a pup settle is DAP Dog appeasing pheromones, you can get a plug in form which works like an airfreshener, its an artificial version of the pheromone mum emits to calm and sooth pups, they are now renamed Adaptil, pets at home and vets do them although cheaper on line Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic is where I get mine.

Having things for her to do in the crate and make a good association is good. Kongs are good, solid hard rubber that you can stuff with wet food and all manner of things to give variety see link and especially section How to Kong for fillings
    Dog & Cat Toys & Dog Treats - Pet Toys, Dog Chew Toys | KONG Company
    Another good toy is treat balls and toys, you fill them with kibble and set to distribute a piece here and there, dog mazes are good you can leave them their kibble breakfast and it keeps them busy and makes it last see links
    Buster DogMaze - YouTube
    Buster Cubes are good too
    The New Buster Cube - YouTube
    Chews to keep her busy are good to Stag Bars are a safe one
    Our products | Pure Dog | Stagbar antler dog chews | natural dog treats | organic dog snacks | hypoallergenic dog chews | long-lasting dog chews | teeth cleaning dog chews | low fat dog treats

Meanwhile I would have the door open of the crate, and concentrate on getting her to want to go in and out by making it a game, randomly throw in treats here and there and toys so she chases in after them to get them.
    You can also Hide smelly treats in the corners and under the edges of her bed, so that she hunts for them making the crate fun.
    You can then get to settle in there door open with one of the things mentioned above, if she will then settle with a kong, then walk up no fuss, just push the door too and walk away, and then after a few minutes, go up no fuss and open it again. Just keep doing this building up the time, you need to do it so she doesnt get stressed. When she is ok try locking it and building up the time with it locked.
    The best time to do it is after a play session when she has got rid of excess energy be tired and more likely to settle.

You can then once she is happy in the crate, practice leaving her alone in there again starting for short periods and then returning before she gets stressed, you must do it without making a fuss, take her there give her the goody, and leave,
    when you return, let her out no fuss and dont give any attention until after a minute or too. To get her used to being totally alone you need to start periods at first when you are in. Letting a pup be with you all the time you are there is not a good thing, they can become over dependant, so cant cope alone when you do have to go out.

Hope this may be of help.

#2 Sled dog hotel, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. BullyMolly

BullyMolly PetForums Senior

The only thing i could add to what sled dog has said, is give her a quick bath as well as one of your worn t shirts. Gives her a little of your smell and may settle quicker. Just a thought. I did that with my pup when we first got him. Helped with my older girl accepting her also. Good luck, and i hope she settles soon. Lovely looking pooch by the way :001_tt1:

4. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Thank you both very much, sled dog your post was extreamly helpful!! :)

I put her into her crate with a PJ top of mine and she slept in the crate soundly all night with me next to her on the sofa...which is an improvement on the night before as she wouldnt sleep in the crate at all even with me next to her!

Today I had to leave her and I was gone for 1hr 45mins and she went into her crate quietly as I was about to leave, I put my coat on left for a couple of mins (while i loaded the buggy), than came back into the house and let her see me and then left again. When I got home she was laid sleeping in her crate and had been an angel! :)

She only came home on saturday so Its such early days but i realy feel like we are making progress! :001_tongue:

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I sleep on the sofa for nearly a week with Dillon in his crate, easier for taking him out in the garden a few times during the night of a wee, and he soon settled down hardly cried at all.

6. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Thanks for your advice :) Millie has been home a week (ast saturday) and I spent all of last week on the sofa next to her crate and last night I went up to bed and she slept soundly down here in her crate untill 6.15am :D She just needed time to adjust...I think i could have done it last week really as she was sound asleep by the time i made my bed on the sofa but I wasnt too fussed and didnt want to rush her!

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad things are much better and once more peace and tranquility reigns!!:D

8. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Hi!

A good tip i tried was to wrap one of my tops with my scent on around a warm hot water bottle so the warmth and smell made my pups feel like they were laying next to me! It really worked but i wouldn't advise anyone to use this method if they have a chewer, lol.

:)

#8 CavalierOwner, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice