Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New potential pet

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JoshG, Feb 13, 2020.

1. JoshG

JoshG PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody, I am looking for some advice and tips. I live in a spacious 1 bed apartment and am considering getting a Bengal cat. I wanted a Bengal as I wanted a cat that likes to play and I could take out and about on a harness or lead rather than let out on its own. I live alone and currently do not have any other pets. My working hours are from 7am-4pm, and I am aware that Bengal cats can be very active and potentially destructive if left alone. However, I would invest in lots of toys, cat wheels, climbing towers and would be more than happy to play with her for hours after work and shortly before. I would also make the place very “cat proof”. It is not an option for me to have 2 cats instead of 1. Is this a situation that can be a happy one for my new potential Bengal and me? Any experience or advice would be really appreciated.

Josh

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I would say do plenty of research on the breed before you make up your mind.
    How about a Siamese? They are real people cats and very easy to train because of their high intelligence. Only a suggestion! Good luck!

ewelsh, TriTri and JoshG like this.
  3. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

ewelsh and BarneyBobCat like this.
  4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!
    There’s spacious and spacious- what’s your spacious in measurements? Bengals require a lot of space. Why aren’t two cats an option? In case you are thinking Bengal kitten I’d firmly recommend two to keep each other company, keep each other busy and wear each other out...

Summercat, ewelsh, moomoowawa and 3 others like this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Bengals are really difficult to keep together as they're aggressive and territorial

You would be required to do a lot of playtime before and after you go to work, and before you go to bed

TriTri likes this.
  6. JoshG

JoshG PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately I don’t know the exact measurements, but I would say bigger than most people anticipate a 1 bedroom apartment being. I decided against getting 2 kittens because I have heard that bengals can be quite noisy, and I imagine 2 bengals are much noisier than 1! Is it cruel to have just 1 Bengal kitten at home during the day self-occupying with different toys?

7. JoshG

JoshG PetForums Newbie

okay, so do you think it’s okay to have a Bengal kitten/cat occupying themselves with toys throughout the day and then having company and play time in the morning/evening? I want the animal to be happy and the situation to be fair on them.

8. JoshG

JoshG PetForums Newbie

From your experience, are Siamese cats okay to be on their own during the working hours of the day?

9. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

There was a very recent post on here about someone having a Bengal that was requiring almost 24/7 attention. Lack of sleep was mentioned. I believe from the thread that this was quite typical of the breed. My neighbours were having problems keeping their Bengal as an indoor cat, as it was desperate to go out. They got a lead and harness to take it on walks and I think they may have cat proofed their garden (I must go & find out). Maybe someone on here will remember the post about the very demanding Bengal? I will try to find it and post the link here. Good luck in choosing the right cat for you and your lifestyle.
    Edit: it may have been @BarneyBobCat’s post here:-
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/attention-seeking-through-the-night.523691/

I would ask @BarneyBobCat what he thinks about leaving one on its own for lengthy periods. I believe Rufus knows about the breed.

#9 TriTri, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    JoshG likes this.
  10. Rufus15

I think its important to note at this juncture that Bengals are not, in any way, a similar breed to Savannahs. What works for one breed won't necessarily work for another.

I wouldn't leave a Bengal alone for such a long day. The are a very demanding and high energy breed. A more placid breed where you can take two would be better, there are many laid back but playful breeds - the Forest breeds, Ocicats, I believe Selkirks and RagaMuffins are similar to this too

TriTri likes this.
  11. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I think this very much depends on the cat! Ours are part of a 3 cat household. Parsnip is naughty and needy and even with the company of Flint and Cosmo during the day, if we’ve been out for longer than usual and he feels he hasn’t had his quota of attention he can be a real pain. I’d worry that a Siamese like Parsnip could become destructive and troubled if he was on his own...
    Flint is delightfully easy going but he is part Siamese and has adapted to pretty much everything over the years, outdoors, indoors, horrid little flat, moving house several times, losing his brother, accepting Parsnip and later Cosmo.
    Cosmo is a little sweetheart and is no trouble at all - however he has only ever lived in a multi cat household. I work part time and husband gets home early so they aren’t left for more than 7 hours and then only 3 days a week. If he was on his own and we were out for longer he could be quite different...
    They are lovely cats but they do love having their people around and being entertained.

Summercat, chillminx and JoshG like this.
  12. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Oci's are as high energy as Bengals, with a more stable, predictable temperament.
    Nothing like Selkirks, Muffins which are far less active.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  13. Rufus15

Ah, thanks for the correction. Also not a suitable breed for the OP then

14. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Hi @JoshG , welcome to the forum!

My Barney is a Savannah cross - his mum is a pedigree Savannah, and his dad was a Bengal. So he is commonly known as a moggy and it's a badge he wears with pride. From his coat he appears more Savannah than Bengal but from my very limited knowledge of the breeds they are similarly wild natured due to their ancestors.

So when we got Barney we didn't have a clue about cats. We simply went on pets4home and had a look around - Barneys litter photos looked really cute and he was in the middle of the main photo looking similar to my avatar. We googled Savannahs (he was of course advertised as a "Half pedigree Savannah") and loved the thought of everything it said. Highly intelligent, energetic, vocal, loves water.... really more dog like than cat!

He really is more dog like than cat. He follows me round the house. He likes to be walked on a harness. He likes to play fetch. He is extremely loving and he gives the best cuddles. But he also wants masses of attention and his energy levels are unbelievable. We have to play with him for several hours a day. He gets bored of toys very quickly so we are constantly buying new things for him. He has wrecked the house; we have no photos or ornaments/artwork out now because he will just knock them over for attention, he likes to climb up and down the staircase banister which is now severely scratched, I had to put rope round the top of the staircase banister because he kept falling off, I glued Astroturf to the top of my kitchen cupboards because he kept jumping up there and slipping off, our carpet has seen better days, the dining room chairs now have covers to hide the scratches, our dining room table is also scratched from him skidding across it!

We do our best to tire him out but he will still "wowwwwww" for attention on an evening and then again almost on the hour of 3am (sometimes 1am) to start playing with him again. Recently we have had to put him in the kitchen through the night to cope with his attention seeking. We have the kitchen fitted out with everything he needs and he seems perfectly fine when we let him out.

Would I want different cat? Absolutely not! He makes me laugh so much and his antics are pretty amazing - he is an escape artist, he can open doors and climb pretty much any obstacle you put in front of him. People cannot believe the things he is capable of when I show them videos. He is super affectionate, my best friend and I love him so much.

But would we have chosen a different breed given our time again? I think yes. Barney is so needy it is like having a human baby. Maybe worse actually because you can tell a human what to do whereas Barney pretty much says "FU, what do you know fool?!" and carries on regardless!

Summercat, moomoowawa, JoshG and 2 others like this.
  15. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I know you say your apartment is spacious, it may feel spacious right now ... But when you add in all the things you've mentioned that spacious may start to feel cramped. Cat wheels for example do take up quite a bit of space as they can't just be stuffed in a corner. Cat towers as well can take up quite a bit of floor space. Assuming you own the apartment you might be able to utilize all the wall space with cat shelves and things like that. If you don't own it then I imagine you may have to check with your landlord before starting to add extra things to the walls.

It's possible that a lot of the high energy breeds may not be super suitable as a singleton. I would say that some of your requirements can be found in plenty of cats (wanting to play, being ok to walk on harnesses) without necessarily having the high energy slightly destructive traits that some Bengals can have.

Summercat likes this.
  16. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

Selkirks ARE quite laid back but very playful and do tend to tear around in play. They are, however, very social cats who like company, be it human or feline, and I think as an only cat/kitten who would be alone for at least 9/10 hours a day a single Selkirk could be quite miserable and unhappy.

Summercat likes this.
  17. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

In past years I have had Siamese and each one has been fantastic! Very affectionate. I worked full time and they were absolutely fine.

18. Rufus15

Hence my suggestion of having two ;)

carolmanycats likes this.
  19. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

You may find a retiree Bengal that's suited to an only cat home, choose your breeder very carefully though, a show breeder will be breeding for good temperaments along with health (HCM scanning, and other DNA tests)

20. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's a nice idea to walk a cat on a lead, but I would worry about other cats & dogs being too interested in it, or even attacking it.

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice