Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New piggies and their rocky start with me

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by K1nS, Aug 26, 2013.

1. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Hi all

After managing to talk my other half into letting me get a pair of pigs, I got Chip and Chop from my local pets at home about 2 weeks ago. They have both settled in really well, Chip is a little nervous around being picked up but im sure in time he will calm down.

After a few days of bringing them home, I noticed that Chop's eye was slightly closed up and was weeping a little, the next day I took him back to pets at home as they said any problems within the first 2 weeks, take him back and they will sort things out regarding him. They gave me some eye gel and told me if it doesn't clear up within a week, to take him back and they will cover any vet fees. Today was his week up, and last night I noticed him sneezing, had a runny nose and coughing (what I think is coughing, sounds really cute, a bit like donald duck) no seriously though I was worried, as first thing that came to mind was URI. I took him to my pets at home first thing today and they confirmed it sounded like a URI to them too, so off we went to their companion care vets this afternoon. He has now been treated with oral antibiotics and eye drops. The vet checked his heart and said it sounded perfectly fine and healthy, which was a relief.

Tonight Chop's eye (which the vet confirmed to be conjunctivitis) is now looking alot brighter, he is still sniffling but hes not sneezing and coughing as much which is good. He is still eating, drinking as normal and is still very active.

Now I know what's probably coming with this thread, I shouldn't have gone to pets at home for an animal, but truth, I dont mind them. I have heard horror stories about them, ive also had a poorly animal from there in the past which sadly had to be put to sleep. But I have also had 2 very happy and healthy hamsters, one which I still have :) I think they get such bad press because they are such a big chain and everyone knows about them. Im sure alot of pet stores have problems with their animals being ill sometimes, its just not everyone knows about them.

2. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

I think the main problem people have with pet shops is that a lot of them source their animals from rodent farms, which are very unpleasant places. This is why some animals you buy from there have health problems.

Glad your piggy is ok now :) I love the names!

3. HazelandDan

HazelandDan PetForums Member

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

the problem with pet stores is WHERE they sorce their animals from and the lack of ethics and moral behind the "breeders" who breed them, the fact that they do not care about the genetics behind their animals

THIS is what you support when you buy from pet stores, this applies to ALL species
    The problem with pet shops

and yes, i have actually been inside a rodent mill, sadly i was too young at the time to realise the wrongs behind it, when i was younger the people who lived at the top of my lane bred to supply PAH and i went to their "farm" with them on a few occasions and often got my pick of the litters (rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, mice, hamsters) for free

5. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

If they come from such bad backgrounds, its prob a good thing to get them and "rescue" them. Most pet shops, especially pets at home will always be around to sell animals. And all my pets have such a loving home with me, they are all treated as part of the family :D

Update on Chop, his eye is looking even better today, I went to collect his eye drops this morning and applied them... he did hate his oral antibiotic this morning though. I really wish he could understand why he had to have these :(

One good thing has come of all this though, Chop is now completely tame, if I put my hand in their cage he doesn't run off anymore, nor does he squeak when I pick him up... I just need to work on Chip now haha:rolleyes:

6. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Oh and I came so close to adopting a little hammie, a gorgeous golden syrian. I really shouldn't look in the adoption centre when I go to pets at home... I would just have a house full of pets if it was up to me lmao

7. Suzuki

Suzuki PetForums Newbie

Aw, sorry to hear Chops is off colour :( URI's are common in piggies and they respond well to ABX - is he on Baytil ? Keep an eye on his food intake as Baytril can upset their tummies and cause loss of appetite which can reap havoc. I always give a pro biotic around 2 hours after ABX, Fibreplex is excellent and available from Vets for around £7-8.
    Runny eyes are associated with URI's in piggies so unsure why they have given you drops unless they are certain he has infection in there - ask your Vet for Metacam too if you haven't already, it's a pain relief and anti-inflammatory, works great alongside ABX.
    I've had piggies become really poorly on Baytril (not all have horrible side effects and don't want to alarm you) so please look out for loss of interest in food, lack of poops etc. as could be warning signs of gut stasis which will require you to syringe feed your boy :( Any watery poos/diarrhoea, stop the ABX immediately and ask your Vet for another type. Septrin is much kinder for them and I've had really good results with Marbocyl and Bisolvon for a piggy who had pleurisy.
    Bedding is important too, avoid any hay that feels dusty as it irritates their respiratory tract hence URI's. Fleece is a good choice or vet bed - never use sawdust :eek:
    Hope Chops responds to treatment - it's a work of art giving the little wrigglers medications :crazy:

8. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

The oral antibiotic is Baytril yeah, ill deffo keep an eye on his food intake, thanks :D The eye drops are Fucithalmic Vets Fusidic Acid... the vet said Chop has conjunctivitis too :( I have to take him back next Monday to see his progress, or if he gets any worse sooner... but he seems alot better today. His eye is almost back to normal and i've only heard him sneeze twice, which is great progress... oh and ive not noticed any discharge from his nose today :D

PS... Just fed the pigs, peppers kale and coriander and they have both just scoffed it down, deffo nothing wrong with his eating at the mo :D

9. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I would only buy small pets from Pets at home. They are the only pet store that impresses me in terms of housing size.

Unfortunately they are a business like anyone pet store they can't afford to pick and choose who makes the best pet owners.

They are more responsible then most pet stores.

10. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Update on Chop, he is eating and drinking just like normal. Tonight for their tea, I took Chop out from his cage (I needed to do his eye drops anyway) but I gave him his veg seperate, so that I could monitor his eating. He scoffed it all down as normal :001_wub:

Here is a pic of him tonight, the eye you can see is his bad eye, which is looking brighter :D:D

[​IMG]

11. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

12. metame

metame PetForums VIP

glad he's looking brighter now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice