Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Pets :)

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by SassyH, Aug 18, 2009.

1. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Hello All!
    I have just got 2 gorgeous ratty boys and cant wait to start playing with them. I keep finding different info so thought i would ask on here:
    How long should i leave them to settle in?
    Do i do the whole wainting for them to come to me first or get them out of the cage in order to get them used to being handled by me and my hubby?

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Generally it;s best to leave them for 1-2 days to settle in. You'll know when they're settled cos they'll be happier to come out and be more inquisitive.

The best thing is to rub your hand in their shavings or bedding so you smell more like them then sit by the cage door with it open and wait for them to come to youand sit on your hands. Some rats however won't come out so you like this, so you may have to reach in and grab them. It all depends on your individual rats:) If they won;t come out after a few days, try reaching in and stroking/holding them :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

[EDIT] Ooooh you;re in east sussex... whereabouts? I'm in Brighton :D

3. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Thanks :) At the moment they are in a perfecto tank as they are to small for the cage (dont want then squeezing throught the bars). Will leave them for a bit longer as they are still cowering in the corner.

PS. I'm in Eastbourne :)

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Ah not to far from here then ^_^ Feel free to come round and have a cuppa :p

How old are our rats? what cage do your have? What is the bar spacing?

Give them things in their tank to interest them and scatter things like nuts and treats around to entice them to come out and forage and play :) when you see them being mroe active, put your hand in and see what they do.

Where did you get them?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

welcome new rattie owner!

if they are cowering then i would agree with akai, but make sure you are around them alot so they can get used to you, talk to them stick your hand in their cage and leave it still so they can come and smell you if they want.. your scent will also be left on the bedding if you do this so even if they don't smell your hand they will smell where it was when they think it is safe.

when you first pick them up do it as gently as possible with both hands and wear something long sleeved so they can grab on. stay near the cage as they may try and jump off if they're really scared. All rats are different but most will clamber on to your hand/arm if you are waering a long sleeved top rather than be picked up. Start training them as soon as you can pick them up, the more you do it the quicker they will pick things up :D

have fun,! get pictures up :D what are they called? :D

6. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Thank you. I will put pics up when i can figure out how.
    We have two dumbos, and have called them Gizmo and Elmo, about 6 weeks old, they are just delicious!
    When i'm in the room I talk constantly, using both their names (feel a little crazy but its all good). I have picked them up and they scamper all over me and sit on my shoulder under my hair. I will try the just putting my scent in the tank (as they arent in a cage yet as the bars are a little big at the moment).

7. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

For photos, if you create a free photobucket account, you can upload pictures to there then copy the IMG code straight onto here :)

When you pick them up, scoop them up under the belly and support their bum and back with your other hand then hold them to your chest. This will make them feel secure :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice