Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leannelatty, Aug 14, 2009.

1. leannelatty

leannelatty PetForums VIP

i'm just about to adopt a 16 week old cocker spaniel and need some help! never owned a dog myself before although had them growing up. i have 2 cats 1 of which lived with a dog before i re-homed her. any advice of any sorts would be great as this puppy has had a hard life already so i want her to be really happy

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.

I have a cocker spaniel, they are great little dogs. I'd say get a crate, so the puppy and the cats can have some time apart and the puppy can see the crate as a den and a safe place to hide if it wants to. What's this puppy's history?

4. puppy

puppy PetForums Junior

I'll second the crate idea. It's good for a dog to have his own safe place. :)

5. leannelatty

she was bred for show but not up to standard and was left in park for about 2days they think. shes got a slight heart murmur but vet said he had to listen really hard to hear it. i havent even met her yet. they are bringing her with them to do the home visit and if all is good will leave her here. how much are the crates? that will help with toilet training too wont it. its so nice to get replys so quickly. is there anything specific about cockers that i should know?

6. rona

rona Guest

Cockers were originally gundogs, so she may have quite a strong chase instinct.
    I had a dog diagnosed with a slight heart murmur at a young age, I exercised her well and it disappeared, I did think that it would reappear when she became old, but she lived to 13 and died of skin cancer

7. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi and welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a new pup hope all goes well with home visit.

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

My cocker is quite a simple dog to look after. he was very easy to train, and he loves dogs and people. He's just going through the teenage phase now, and is being a little difficult, but on the whole, I think cockers are one of the best breeds of dog (but then I am biased). They are great with children, other dogs, and sometimes other animals if they are introduced early and slowly. Mine is ok with my rabbits now, but he was a bit difficult when he was a pup, barking at them and getting excited when they ran. He also chases our cat too, but not to hurt her, but he likes seeing things run away. And he also likes you chasing him as well. :D

Our crate (the right size for a cocker spaniel) was about £50.

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My advice would be not to go over board on the attention and fuss and remember that your dog needs to be shown clear, consistant leadership. The happiest dogs are those that know their place in the pack, because their owner fulfils that role day in and day out.

It is very easy to make the mistake when you get a new dog, especailly a rescue, of trying to make up for their awful start in life. This attitude alone can send weak signals to your dog and will not provide the dog with clear leadership. If you start from day 1 on the right foot then you will not have a problem. Be seen as weak by your dog and you could create problems and then have to un-do them.

Always remember that no matter how cute dogs are, they are animals. And they need to be treated as such.

Best of luck x

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Just to say good luck and cockers are a lovely breed i have springers but know quite a few cockers, and they are all lovely.

Cant offer any better advice than goodvic2 that was good,sound, clear advice.

11. leannelatty

Thanks guys. what about the cats?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice